BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
JerezblackM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 dct

M3 dyno

Hello all, my m3 dyno before doing software update and retuning and on a hot summer day shows 308.2 ft-lbs of torque at the wheel. Can a full bolt on m3 have that much torque? Calculations on engine torque shows 340 ft-lbs which is 460 nm. I have the graph but I'm using iPhone app. Not sure if I can upload.
      02-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Use "simple resize" app to resize your pictures, then you can upload
The tq on the Dyno numbers seems very high. I've seen VT1 kits dyno at 302ft-lbs. Not sure about your numbers. Show the graph. Whats you WHP?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
JerezblackM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

387.2 whp
I have stock air filter that day and no scoops.
Old software version as well.

Car has
Eisenmann race exhaust
Custom catless x pipe with resonator
Active autowerke pulley
PP-Performance tune
I'm the dealer for PP-Performance

Car had the stock filter and no scoops. Clients don't like to wait for their orders.
      02-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

You can have 400wtq if the dyno swings that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
"Wheel torque" as expressed here is a number that does not exist in real life. The actual wheel torque should be multiplied by the gear and final drive ratios.

The torque numbers presented on dyno charts are simply calculated from the wheel horsepower and engine RPM to represent an "equivalent" flywheel torque number. The real flywheel torque number is actually higher as it does not see powertrain losses.

Either you show wheel torque multiplied by the gear ratio or flywheel torque without the drivetrain losses (which you cannot measure wihout removing the engine). Anything else is a fictive number.

Torque numbers as presented on most chassis dyno charts should only be used as a reference to get an idea of the shape of the torque curve.

I would not dwell too long on the absolute power numbers, even less so on the absolute torque values of the dyno runs. Rather focus on the relative before and after runs to see how much gain you are getting from mods.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-25-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
"Wheel torque" as expressed here is a number that does not exist in real life. The actual wheel torque should be multiplied by the gear and final drive ratios.

The torque numbers presented on dyno charts are simply calculated from the wheel horsepower and engine RPM to represent an "equivalent" flywheel torque number. The real flywheel torque number is actually higher as it does not see powertrain losses.

Either you show wheel torque multiplied by the gear ratio or flywheel torque without the drivetrain losses. Anything else is a fictive number.

Torque numbers as presented on most chassis dyno charts should only be used as a reference to get an idea of the shape of the torque curve.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

Do some math at 5252 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
JerezblackM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3

Either you show wheel torque multiplied by the gear ratio or flywheel torque without the drivetrain losses (which you cannot measure wihout removing the engine). Anything else is a fictive number.

I would not dwel too long on the absolute power numbers, even less so on the absolute torque values of the dyno runs. Rather focus on the relative before and after runs to see how much gain you are getting from mods.
Thanks for the info. I wish I did a baseline dyno before I did my mods.
      02-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:

I would not dwel too long on the absolute power numbers, even less so on the absolute torque values of the dyno runs. Rather focus on the relative before and after runs to see how much gain you are getting from mods.
+100000 Even in direct drive (4th gear MT 5th gear DCT) the FD is still multiplying torque. Most people don't realize this!!!

To the OP, I think your numbers are high and I have not seen NA torque numbers from and M3 that were that high on a chassis dyno....... The numbers are probably off a bit.

Last edited by BMRLVR; 02-23-2013 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
JerezblackM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR
Quote:

+100000 Even in direct drive (4th gear MT 5th gear DCT) the FD is still multiplying torque. Most people don't realize this!!!

To the OP, I think your numbers are high and I have not seen NA torque numbers from and M3 that were that high on a chassis dyno....... The numbers are probably off a bit.
Yes I believe so too, but incredibly, a rally driver and a drift champion who owns an e92 and has a BMW m power maintenance shop tested my car and was amazed with the torque it made.
      02-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
CP Louie
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Race Car

Nice
Appreciate 0