BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Akra Delete-R Question

If I were to install an aftermarket xpipe and Akra Delete-R and then were to remove these two items before taking the car to the dealer is there any way they would be able to tell I ever had them installed?

I have read up on the Akra Delete-R and the way it was explained is the CEL still comes on but the Delete-R constantly clears the code. In my mind, this means if the dealer were to scan the car they would see the CEL has been coming on constantly?

Is the BMS DPFIX a better solution since this prevents the CEL coming on altogether so there are no fault codes ever present? I was only able to find one thread on the BMS DPFIX, has this proven to be a reliable solution? It seems 99% of the members here are running the Delete-R.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I did exactly what you are thinking about. I later sold the Delete-R and bought the DPFIX since it was much cheaper and seems to do the same thing. Now out of regular warranty so I will not be going back to the dealer unless there is a problem for which there is CPO coverage.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
W Cole
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I did exactly what you are thinking about. I later sold the Delete-R and bought the DPFIX since it was much cheaper and seems to do the same thing. Now out of regular warranty so I will not be going back to the dealer unless there is a problem for which there is CPO coverage.
Has the DPFIX been reliable? How many miles do you have without a CEL? Many on the forum stated they didn't believe it would work and so far I haven't seen much feedback.

I am not an expert but I think the DPFIX would be impossible for BMW to detect as the light never comes on vs. with the delete-r the light comes on and is then cleared.

Last edited by W Cole; 12-05-2012 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

The DPFIX seems to be reliable to me. I have not touched it since I put it in about 6 months ago and have probably driven 6k miles since then and have never had a CEL. With the Delete-R, the CEL does not come on, either. I do not know the inner workings of the computer and what is stored that could be detected even though a CEL is not triggered. There is something called a shadow fault that is supposedly in this category, but I do not know much about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
W Cole
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The DPFIX seems to be reliable to me. I have not touched it since I put it in about 6 months ago and have probably driven 6k miles since then and have never had a CEL. With the Delete-R, the CEL does not come on, either. I do not know the inner workings of the computer and what is stored that could be detected even though a CEL is not triggered. There is something called a shadow fault that is supposedly in this category, but I do not know much about it.
This is good news. Thanks for the review.

When you say "shadow fault" is that in connection to the Delete-R? Or DPFIX?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Shadow fault is sort of a BMW ECU "pre-CEL" as I understand it. Could be triggered by a number of things, probably including improper AFR pre or post cat, but again I don't know much about shadow faults.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

I haven't seen any related shadow codes on cars equipped with the Delete-R.
      01-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Not sure about this eliminating timing pull. Seems like a patch rather than a solution.
http://burgertuning.com/dpfix.html

I think the only way to eliminate the CEL is to tune it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
W Cole
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Not sure about this eliminating timing pull. Seems like a patch rather than a solution.
http://burgertuning.com/dpfix.html

I think the only way to eliminate the CEL is to tune it out.
Timing pull...? The secondary o2 sensors shouldn't cause this.
Appreciate 0