BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #67
uthatch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil. Lucas View Post
Thanks guys, the dealer is replacing the gearbox on Thursday..
Whoa. WTF for? More details please.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 11:05 PM   #68
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryF View Post
Have a read of this, someone scanned the page
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130734

read this
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133802

And this
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...?t=2358&page=5

The battery used with CA is CR2032 which is NON rechargeable, if you own the system you can quickly check this by opening your key fob and tell us what battery is inside.

the car CAN report low battery warning, this is telling you to change the battery, not plug it in.
I was going to post something similar. The batteries definitely are not rechargeable, and we've beaten this issue to death on e90post.

For those who are wondering, the batteries last at least a couple of years. For my 06 330i E90, I have one fob with a 2 year old battery that works fine, and another where I replaced the battery for absolutely no reason other than that I saw a CR2032 at a CVS one day and was bored. So that battery is maybe a year old. I've never gotten a "low battery" warning.

Also, for those who have spotty CA performance -- metallic tint on the rear window of the E90 has been confirmed to interfere with CA reception on the E90. I have ceramic tint and have no problems. Apparently one of several CA receivers is in the rear window.
      04-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #69
fmquadri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

starting to have more and more little incidences with Comfort Access. First noticed at the trunk - with the key in my pocket the trunk release button takes a few tries to open.

This trunk issue happens 2 out of 3 times I try to open the trunk.

Today it happened at the door - walked up to car tried to open via Comfort Access - no go.

Tried multiple times. Waited a few seconds... tried again. Waited a little longer - tried again. After starting to feel a little stupid I whipped out the key and unlocked the car.

How long are these batteries supposed to last?? If its not the battery - (no low battery warning) - then what?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #70
nick.nora
Rick M3 in St. Louis
Rep
Drives: E 92 M3 Coupe

I have a beautiful Alpine White coupe with carbon fiber roof. The second day I had the car (Easter Sunday), the crankcase oil level display gauge indicated there was an overfill, which caused me nearly to panic...turned out that the sensor was faulty, the oil level was safe, and a replacement oil level sensor was installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #71
nick.nora
Rick M3 in St. Louis
Rep
Drives: E 92 M3 Coupe

I also have another problem, similar to the one that Gasman reported on previously: On April 7th, with approx. 500 miles on the odometer, my nav screen displayed a warning that the EDC failed and that I should drive with caution. I also began noticing a sporadic clanking noise that was being generated from the rear driver-side wheel well, sounding just like I was dragging tin cans. I took the car to the dealer right away on Monday; after two days of Service Dept. head-scratching and phone calls to BMW NA, a replacement EDC control part was overnighted and installed. On April 11th I learned that the EDC failure warning re-appeared and that they were no closer to understanding what happened.

Later that same day the Service Department isolated the problem. The connector on one of the rear shocks was faulty. The shock ended up being replaced and I got the car back at noontime on Tuesday (4/15).

Today, the clanking sound reappeared. Turns out that the left rear brake dust shield was rubbing sporadically on the brake rotor, causing the tinny noise. The technician repositioned the shield and the noise is gone!

Last edited by nick.nora; 04-22-2008 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #72
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Mantis, from several of your posts, I am wondering if we are really driving the same car?

Hill assist reliable on my car. Every time you left go off the break pedal when the car is at a dead stop, it keeps the brake engaged for about 2 seconds unless you get on the gas regardless of the grade of the road you are on. It's been very consistent. Do I need it? Not really. But it's there.
im used to it now... just that first couple of days i didnt know when it activated. thought it activates regardless every time i take off from full stop
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #73
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotion View Post
comfort access not responding all the time. There is a delay most of the time and at times, I would actually need to take the keyfob out to press the unlock button to get into the car. Will be taking it in to the dealer soon to see what the fix is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
My settings were reset twice in two weeks for no reason: units, M button, seat, etc. Very annoying. And yes, I've been using the same key fob since I bought the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmquadri View Post
starting to have more and more little incidences with Comfort Access. First noticed at the trunk - with the key in my pocket the trunk release button takes a few tries to open.

Today it happened at the door - walked up to car tried to open via Comfort Access - no go.

Tried multiple times. Waited a few seconds... tried again. Waited a little longer - tried again. After starting to feel a little stupid I whipped out the key and unlocked the car.

How long are these batteries supposed to last?? If its not the battery - (no low battery warning) - then what?
I've had the problem with CA on and off, occasionally. I also had my settings reset themselves once. And ONE time my passenger side mirror didn't dip when I was backing-up.

That's it, for the most part my car has been very good so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #74
gasman
Rep
Drives: 08 RR Sport SC, 08 AW/FR M3

Update on my EDC. BMW Engineering still hasn't resolved the issue, not even sure if they have responded to the dealership. I pressed my Service advisor about it being almost 2 weeks and nothing resolved. He went ahead and ordered 2 new front shocks and will install them as soon as they arrive.
      04-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #75
gasman
Rep
Drives: 08 RR Sport SC, 08 AW/FR M3

Quote:
Same here. My doors work fine...trunk...rarely. It's annoying. It's embarrasing having to sit there and fiddle with your trunk around friends. I took my buddy for a ride today and he laughed at me for having a $75,000 car with 400 miles that had EDC Malfunction plastered to the nav screen.
Thanks BMW!!
      04-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #76
Pancho
Commander
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

I had to change my windshield due to significant distortion on the original. It was evidently covered by warranty. I was really surprised to have this problem and it was bothersome.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #77
Greenspotpop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Manual M3 and Manual Gallardo

Quote:

I can verify that everytime I touched the trunk switch at the back once, it opened. Defenitely take it to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #78
fmquadri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
I had to change my windshield due to significant distortion on the original. It was evidently covered by warranty. I was really surprised to have this problem and it was bothersome.
Great. This is glass related?

Well, I recently had the car tinted with the Ceramic tint - but I KNOW this was doing the same thing before the tint as well. I have a feeling though BMW's going to say something about the glass if i take it in now.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #79
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenspotpop View Post
I can verify that everytime I touched the trunk switch at the back once, it opened. Defenitely take it to the dealer
Happened to me at first. Used to take a couple of times but now I think I found the sweet spot or something and has worked everytime on the first time.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #80
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
All of these little problems are scary. I don't have the number of miles some of these guys do, 180 for me, but I have had no problems with the CA or opening the trunk. No issues with EDC either.
      04-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #81
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
All of these little problems are scary. I don't have the number of miles some of these guys do, 180 for me, but I have had no problems with the CA or opening the trunk. No issues with EDC either.

crossing my fingers and knocking on wood.
      04-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #82
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
The CA issues are the same for the regular 3 series. You have to get used to how it works.

The EDC things sounds much scarier.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #83
asaulo1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, alp white

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post

The EDC things sounds much scarier.
I sure hope they've sorted this out.....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #84
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

As an update, the dealer will be replacing the transponder in the car. They reset the unit, but it still works only from time to time.

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #85
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

That's what we get for being early adopters.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #86
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
It's not a big problem yet but I had to crank my BMW twice to start it the other day and that's been my only time. I don't think I've had to crank twice on a car I've owned in years. Also, the car makes a loud ticking noise at startup. It goes away after the car warms up and it almost sounds mechanical. I'll try to record it tonight.
sounds like the fuel system is not maintaining the "rest" pressure with the engine shut off. Could be a leaky fuel pump check valve or pressure regulator that drains rest pressure and cause long cranking times. The pressure regulator can easily be tested by a mechanic. Also fuel pressure can be measured with a gauge usually. These are symptoms of low fuel pressure (hard starting and rough idle). These same symptoms, though, can also be caused by a plugged fuel filter, a restriction in the fuel supply line, or a dirty filter sock in the tank.
You are the third I read complaining about this, sounds like a general problem. Fortunately this is easy to diagnose and not a major issue.

PS: if this gets worse you can expect stumbling, loss of high-speed power and lean misfire. All from the above nothing wrong with the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 02:26 AM   #87
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

...spoke too fast about the engine...

One very isolated case had clicking noise that developped in the engine. He had finished break in. Then oil leaked from the engine. The oil was leaking from a gasket at the top of the crank case - normally they would just change this gasket but they had no parts for this car yet. So they replaced the whole engine. The old engine was sent back to BMW AG for analysis. This happened in Japan. It's all here from the second post :

oh and... later his fuel pump failed and needed to be replaced. He followed the break in recommendation to the letter (no abuse). The fuel pump problem is apparently all over the place. The only explanation I could find was :
"the gas tank being split (dual tank) into two sections and the gas not moving freely between the two, which caused one of the fuel pumps to dry out and overheat. Apparently the gasoline helps keep the pump cool"

One guy posted that his M6 motor failed and that the BMW V10s have notorious oil issues. QUote :
"In fact that's why I dumped the car and went back to Mercedes.
And that's why I'm leary of this V8 in the M3."

This is also my reason for not moving yet to the M3. But still I might if this turns out to be one isolated case.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=190048
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #88
semifaba
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 IB 335i

My DSC turns off by itself sometimes... It happened to me like once a week, and it happens anytime it wants to. Although I just need to push the DSC button to turn it back on, or push the M-drive button. It is still annoying, and does it effect anything? should I just let it go? Because if I bring it to the dealer, they will say nothing is wrong, and it'll just make me look stupid.
Appreciate 0