BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

11-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

GTS News

Just got off the phone with my dealer and got word that if the GTS is coming to Canada(maybe).The problem will be that it is not being imported as a Canadian road legal vehicle.It will not be able to be licenced in Canada as they are not changing the specs of the car for our market.That takes me out of this car at this point as that is a way too much money for a dedicated track car for myself.I am disappointed with BMW at this point as I was really expecting a much more hardcore street legal vehicle that is trackday oriented.Porsche can do it with the GT3,why not BMW?I cannot justify a GT3 for myself,money wise so my next trackcar will more and likely not be a BMW!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Just got off the phone with my dealer and got word that if the GTS is coming to Canada(maybe).The problem will be that it is not being imported as a Canadian road legal vehicle.It will not be able to be licenced in Canada as they are not changing the specs of the car for our market.That takes me out of this car at this point as that is a way too much money for a dedicated track car for myself.I am disappointed with BMW at this point as I was really expecting a much more hardcore street legal vehicle that is trackday oriented.Porsche can do it with the GT3,why not BMW?I cannot justify a GT3 for myself,money wise so my next trackcar will more and likely not be a BMW!
They can't compete with Porsche due to BMW's pricing structure here in North America. It cripples their business model, and limits their options for a unique special edition vehicle like the GTS.

BMW needs to develop the willingness of the North American crowd to pay GT3 like prices for a 3-series BMW coupe. (regardless of how awesome it actually is)

That's a TOUGH SELL for most enthusiasts.

Just about every Porsche car in their stable, will cost you six-figures. (or more)

Porsche has HUGE profit margins built into their automotive products.

That allows them to keep a larger war chest ($$$$$$$$$), when you are contemplating the launch of a vehicle into a new untested market.

The federalization costs are staggering, and the emissions police will always try to clamp down on gas guzzling racing-inspired engines.

The results may be a car with TOO MANY COMPROMISES for the manufacturers liking, and the project may die before it ever gets any serious traction.

I know for a fact that BMW was hesitant to offer the car here at all (for the above reasons), and a few other sticking points.

The major sticking point was an internal disagreement over what price point would be appropriate for the GTS in the North American market.

BMW couldn't price the GTS at $100,000-$110,000 here in North America, because it would likely be a disaster sales wise.

And if the dealers don't demand this type of car be brought here (en masse), it has little chance of getting into the showrooms as a street legal car.

The red tape involved in getting these special edition track-oriented BMW's won't get any eaisier in the future either.

The 'green' movement will likely be the death nail for any BMW cars like this going forward.
      11-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
They can't compete with Porsche due to BMW's pricing structure here in North America. It cripples their business model, and limits their options for a unique special edition vehicle like the GTS.

BMW needs to develop the willingness of the North American crowd to pay GT3 like prices for a 3-series BMW coupe. (regardless of how awesome it actually is)

That's a TOUGH SELL for most enthusiasts.

Just about every Porsche car in their stable, will cost you six-figures. (or more)

Porsche has HUGE profit margins built into their automotive products.

That allows them to keep a larger war chest ($$$$$$$$$), when you are contemplating the launch of a vehicle into a new untested market.

The federalization costs are staggering, and the emissions police will always try to clamp down on gas guzzling racing-inspired engines.

The results may be a car with TOO MANY COMPROMISES for the manufacturers liking, and the project may die before it ever gets any serious traction.

I know for a fact that BMW was hesitant to offer the car here at all (for the above reasons), and a few other sticking points.

The major sticking point was an internal disagreement over what price point would be appropriate for the GTS in the North American market.

BMW couldn't price the GTS at $100,000-$110,000 here in North America, because it would likely be a disaster sales wise.

And if the dealers don't demand this type of car be brought here (en masse), it has little chance of getting into the showrooms as a street legal car.

The red tape involved in getting these special edition track-oriented BMW's won't get any eaisier in the future either.

The 'green' movement will likely be the death nail for any BMW cars like this going forward.
Yep!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
m3tor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
The problem will be that it is not being imported as a Canadian road legal vehicle.It will not be able to be licenced in Canada as they are not changing the specs of the car for our market.
That is disappointing! I talked to my dealer too, they said they'd be bringing a few to Canada but he missed that important detail.... this car was always going to be a stretch (for me, anyway) but if I can't even drive it TO the track I'm out!
2002 E46 M3 Carbon Black / Imola Red, 6 speed, 19s - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Soup'r'man
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 M3

I have my people looking into this
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup'r'man View Post
Do they know my people?

Is this still your "2007" M3?

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

^^^ Thats sweet! The only thing its missing is the tow hook mod....
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

Quote:
Do they know my people?

Is this still your "2007" M3?

LOL "2007 m3"
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup'r'man View Post
I think I figured out who your peeps are!I found a picture of you guys "hanging" out

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
I heard the same thing, so BMW Canada seems to be checking to see if there's demand for the car in Canada. Canadian regs are similar to the US, but not exactly the same. That's why we've had cars like the E34 M540i, essentially a Euro M5 with the emission-certified M62 4.0 liter V8 in it. They only brought in a few but the US never got any.

If BMW is serious about the GTS, they have three choices for the North American market:

1. Put the same 4.0 engine as the regular car (no emission recertification costs) into the stripper chassis, then ship the cool stuff in a box for the customer to install (the way that the GT3 shoulder belts used to come, or maybe still do).

2. Upgrade to the 4.4 engine (swallow hard and pay the money in hopes they get enough volume to amortize the cost) into the stripper chassis, etc (as above).

3. Make it-not road-legal, customers sign waivers on purchase, etc. Basically a real track car.

I'm guessing they could easily price option 1 to match the GT3, but if you were spending that much money on a 2-seater, why not just get the GT3? That suggests option 2 priced a little less than the GT3. That's a value proposition I'd be interested in.

Option 3 really doesn't make sense to me - the people that can afford that choice won't buy a BMW, they'll buy a trailerable track-only car like a Noble.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was at my dealer this morning for some maintenance work. One of the sales guys whose opinion I trust said that he'd attended a BMW Canada "M briefing" recently where they'd announced that the M3 GTS either was, or would be shortly, available for order by Canadian customers. It WOULD be road legal. The bad news? Well, if you want a GT4 you're still out of luck.

Any Canadians out there with a passion for orange cars and 115,000 Euro to spend should give their dealer a buzz.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
I was at my dealer this morning for some maintenance work. One of the sales guys whose opinion I trust said that he'd attended a BMW Canada "M briefing" recently where they'd announced that the M3 GTS either was, or would be shortly, available for order by Canadian customers. It WOULD be road legal. The bad news? Well, if you want a GT4 you're still out of luck.

Any Canadians out there with a passion for orange cars and 115,000 Euro to spend should give their dealer a buzz.
I would be surprised if this was true as I have not heard anything about this from the people who should know.But I have been wrong before!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #13
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I would be surprised if this was true as I have not heard anything about this from the people who should know.But I have been wrong before!
So, call them and check - I trust the guy, but that doesn' t mean he's right!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So, call them and check - I trust the guy, but that doesn' t mean he's right!

He is wrong as I just rechecked with my source.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
He is wrong as I just rechecked with my source.
OK - I'm glad I didn't start a new thread! Is the GTS not available at all or is it trailer-only?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #16
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
OK - I'm glad I didn't start a new thread! Is the GTS not available at all or is it trailer-only?
I was told not at all.If I do hear anything different I will be all over it as my lease is up next spring.The Boss 302LS is of interest if it is coming to Canada as a road legal car which is not confirmed 100% as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #17
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was told not at all.If I do hear anything different I will be all over it as my lease is up next spring.The Boss 302LS is of interest if it is coming to Canada as a road legal car which is not confirmed 100% as of yet.
I'm in the same situation and I'm trying to decide what to do as well. The Mustang value proposition is pretty compelling, although I'm more focused on a simple 2011 GT with Brembo's and a 3.73 diff at $35k with some FRPP suspension upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #18
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm in the same situation and I'm trying to decide what to do as well. The Mustang value proposition is pretty compelling, although I'm more focused on a simple 2011 GT with Brembo's and a 3.73 diff at $35k with some FRPP suspension upgrades.
I drove a 5.0 Gt at Mosport that had a prototype supercharger that was a bit over 600hp and was reasonably impressed with it.With suspension and a proper track day wheel & tire setup it would be a very decent track day car for not very much money.The Boss and the LS will only be better for track duty.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #19
bobbyz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Want to be lightning fast at the DD track for under 50G? See below.
I think they top out at about 230km/h though.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Other-Makes-/1304...item1e5e7f04ba
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #20
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
Want to be lightning fast at the DD track for under 50G? See below.
I think they top out at about 230km/h though.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Other-Makes-/1304...item1e5e7f04ba
It is not a road legal car in Canada so a pile of logistic issues like having a trailer & storage are required.Might as well have a real race car which there are some really good buys on right now.

Last edited by Gearhead999s; 09-24-2010 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #21
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
I think I figured out who your peeps are!I found a picture of you guys "hanging" out

I hope the white stuff on the car is soap and not something else.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #22
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

even if the GTS was imported into canada. the price would be highly prohibitive. tons of better cars out there to use as a dedicated track car.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0