BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

06-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Question How does the European Delivery work ?

Can anybody explain how doest it work ? What is the advantage of doing it ? What are you getting from BMW for doing that ?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
Can anybody explain how doest it work ? What is the advantage of doing it ? What are you getting from BMW for doing that ?
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...y/default.aspx

14% off MSRP. Extraordinary delivery experience. Driving in the Autobahn or the Stelvio Pass. Enjoyment.

Last edited by Technic; 06-15-2009 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
rainzoro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: jerez black M3

wondering.. if the transportation fee is on bmw, why is there a discount on the car?

Just a guess but, for each customer's European delivery, bmw gets some amount of benefit from the travel agency or the government... hows that
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
BMW pays for your car to be delivered to your local dealer. Well its included in the destination charge that you would pay if you didnt do ED.

A lot of info.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...opean_Delivery

Quote:
ED Summary
From BimmerWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
What is European Delivery (ED)?

European Delivery (ED) is a program offered by BMW that allows you to pick up your car in Munich, Germany and enjoy driving it throughout Europe while on vacation or a business trip (BMW European Delivery Website). One of the biggest advantages to doing European Delivery is that there is a significant cost savings to purchasing in the United States that allows you to pay for your trip and potentially save even more. Vehicles ordered through the BMWNA European Delivery Program are identical in specifications to those found at dealers (US models and options ONLY). In order to qualify for the European Delivery program, you must meet the following requirements:

* Be at least 18 years of age with a valid driver's license and passport.
* Place your order through an authorized BMW center. Note: Cars built in the U.S. ( X5/X6 models) are not eligible for the European Delivery Program, nor are MINIs.
* You may keep your car in Europe up to 6 months after delivery (there is a 19% penalty tax if your car is not exported within the 6-month period). Cars financed or leased through BMW Financial Services must be exported within 90 days.
* Your new BMW is restricted to private use by tourists (including business travelers). Persons working in Europe on temporary or long-term assignments are not eligible for the special customs license plates issued under the European Delivery Program.
* ED can be combined with Performance Center Delivery (PCD) at the Spartanburg plant.

There is a limit to the number of EDs you may do at one time: Each household may do one ED every 6 months. Exceptions are case by case.

If you have any specific questions, take advantage of our European Delivery Discussion Forum!

Why is European Delivery Cheaper than US Delivery?

BMW created the European Delivery program to promote sales of its cars in the 1960s. Jonathan Spira wrote an excellent article in the March 2006 issue of the Roundel about the program's history; unfortunately, that article is no longer accessible online. Another good overview may be found in his article in the November 2006 Business Traveler. Although all of BMW's reasons are proprietary corporate matters, one of the principal benefits it brings the company is customer loyalty. Many people who take delivery of a BMW in Europe won´t consider the purchase of a car in any other way.

Many people ask why cars have a lower price when purchased through ED. The reason is that BMW and BMWNA sell cars through ED outside of the usual dealer incentive programs offered by BMWNA to its dealers. US BMW dealers receive incentive payments from BMW NA based on customer satisfaction, or "CSI" scores. Those scores, in conjunction with the number of cars sold, result in incentive payments. BMWs sold through the ED program do not increase a dealer's unit sales and are not subject to the CSI program. Because BMW NA does not pay out this incentive money, they are able to pass along those savings to you in the form of a reduced price on an ED car. The amount of the discount is approximately equal to the potential CSI money a dealer would receive on the sale of the same car through US delivery.

The savings are not a result of different taxes or duties, as many people speculate. The duty on an imported car, whether new or used, is 2.5% of the declared value. In other words, duty makes up about $1000-$1500 of the price a 3-series BMW. Any reduction in value because it is used would not significantly change the amount of duty. Even a full exemption would not fully account for the price savings of ED.

You also can save money through ED because the price is more negotiable with many dealers. Most BMWs sold through US delivery are sold at or around MSRP because demand is so high (this is not true of end-of-run cars and some models on which BMW offers incentives). Cars sold through European Delivery do not come out of the dealer's allocation (except for M cars, and sometimes newly introduced models where supply is limited, e.g. coupes and convertibles in 2007). As a result, the dealer is selling an extra car, rather than one of his allocated cars that he could sell to someone else at MSRP, as is the case with US delivery. Not all dealers realize that ED cars are basically bonus sales. They may refuse to negotiate off of the ED MSRP price, or explain that there are extra costs associated with ED for the dealer. Generally speaking, if your dealer says this, you should look for another dealer. It is routine to pay $800 to $1000 above Euro Delivery Wholesale Pricing. This will save the purchaser approximately 10 percent off of US MSRP. With leasing and European Delivery it is important to check the numbers and make sure that the residual value is based upon US MSRP not Euro Delivery MSRP.
Also you purchase flight and hotel. BMW doesnt include that.
      06-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainzoro View Post
wondering.. if the transportation fee is on bmw, why is there a discount on the car?

Just a guess but, for each customer's European delivery, bmw gets some amount of benefit from the travel agency or the government... hows that
I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that if you take ED, then BMW is able to import the car as a used car, and that the import duty on a used car is less. This could be where the discount comes from.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

I just did ED on the E92 M3 a month ago, and it was the best car purchase experience. When they turn on the lights and start rotating the platform for you, you will find a big smile on your face as you walk down the stairs from the premier lounge. That is, ED seems all about brand loyalty. Oh, my baby loved the playroom in the lounge too. Highly recommended.

Last edited by major_kusanagi; 06-13-2009 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
^ Yep.

Its such a great experience. I always will do ED from now on!

My pics: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268796
      06-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Ahhhhhh........I'll do ED when I retire! (am workin' like a dog lately....literally)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
asp17
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Comp

Soo How does the car get to the US after the ED... Would I have to pay Duties and shipping charges to have the car brought back home from the ED?
      06-14-2009, 01:10 AM   #10
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp17 View Post
Soo How does the car get to the US after the ED... Would I have to pay Duties and shipping charges to have the car brought back home from the ED?
Nope, all covered by BMW. the car will be eventually sent to your dealership. BMW also provides insurance and roadside assistance for 2 weeks at no charge. Mine was provided by Alliance. If you want to drive the car longer in Europe, you can buy additional coverage.

You can find a lot of useful info from http://www.edbmw.com/main/
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 02:09 AM   #11
iveman89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

after seeing that video and following these link I really wish I had know about ED and done it. It really looks like a once in a lifetime experience...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_kusanagi View Post
Nope, all covered by BMW. the car will be eventually sent to your dealership. BMW also provides insurance and roadside assistance for 2 weeks at no charge. Mine was provided by Alliance. If you want to drive the car longer in Europe, you can buy additional coverage.

You can find a lot of useful info from http://www.edbmw.com/main/
Do they limit you how far can you drive around the Europe ?

I am planing to order 2010 M3 in September and doing ED ... Me and my girlfriend were thinking to take new M to Paris, Rome, Milan, Venecia, and back to Munich ... it is about 2500 miles trip ... not that bad ...

Also, would it be possible somewhere down the road to take it to the dealer and get 1200 miles service in Europe ?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
iveman89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:

I am planing to order 2010 M3 in September and doing ED ... Me and my girlfriend were thinking to take new M to Paris, Rome, Milan, Venecia, and back to Munich ... it is about 2500 miles trip ... not that bad ...

Also, would it be possible somewhere down the road to take it to the dealer and get 1200 miles service in Europe ?
are you going to sell your car doba?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveman89 View Post
are you going to sell your car doba?
do you want to buy it ?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I had the same concern and my CA at the Welt explained it to me quite well.

You can take it to any authorized BMW dealer in Europe for the first service. You will have to pay for it yourself. Keep the invoice and receipt. When you have the car back in the US, you can mail the receipt to BMWNA and they will reimburse the cost to you.

ED is the way to go as long as you can wait 6-8 weeks, which can be quite rough especially after hitting 135+ miles per hour on the bahn... I knew I was not supposed to go over 110 during the break-in period, but couldn't resist.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #16
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:

You can take it to any authorized BMW dealer in Europe for the first service. You will have to pay for it yourself. Keep the invoice and receipt. When you have the car back in the US, you can mail the receipt to BMWNA and they will reimburse the cost to you.

ED is the way to go as long as you can wait 6-8 weeks, which can be quite rough especially after hitting 135+ miles per hour on the bahn... I knew I was not supposed to go over 110 during the break-in period, but couldn't resist.
Ah yes, must be another Leased vehicle

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #17
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
Ah yes, must be another Leased vehicle
Nope, this one is mine to keep. I asked Bernard, my CA at the Welt, about the max speed at which I could drive on the bahn. His answer was it's the PRM that mattered more. You can easily do 135+ without exceeding 5500 RPM.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #18
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Good to know ! Where did you do yours if you did any ?

Did you guys anywhere outside Germany ? any recommendations ?

We should meet sometimes in SF for a coffee cause I have like a 1000 questions haha ...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #19
carri0n m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5M

I did ED last month (three more days of torture until my car arrives at my dealership) but agree with Kus; bought my M3 and got it up to 145 on the bahn, may have even had the same SA in germany, guy was in love with the m3 and encouraged the big speed (said when else can you legally do that in the US?????); have an awesome time, by far the best vacation of my life
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Does BMW pay for your flight ? hotel ?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #21
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know ! Where did you do yours if you did any ?

Did you guys anywhere outside Germany ? any recommendations ?

We should meet sometimes in SF for a coffee cause I have like a 1000 questions haha ...
PM me if you have questions or for a coffee. I will be very happy to share my ED experience with you. I ended up with only 900 miles in Europe.

A lot of people recommend the Stelvio Pass and Nürburgring.

But we spent a lot time in Switzerland. Driving along the Rhein is quite breathtaking. When you drive back to Munich, try the Rhein falls and Stein Am Rhein. It's really beautiful. Remember to visit the Neuschwanstein Castle along the way.

Also, try to use A96 on your way back. It's got great and perfectly paved segments with no speed limits where your M3 will inspire confidence doing over 135 miles per hour. Quite scenic too, but at that speed, I was really focused on the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #22
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PM me if you have questions or for a coffee. I will be very happy to share my ED experience with you. I ended up with only 900 miles in Europe.

A lot of people recommend the Stelvio Pass and Nürburgring.

But we spent a lot time in Switzerland. Driving along the Rhein is quite breathtaking. When you drive back to Munich, try the Rhein falls and Stein Am Rhein. It's really beautiful. Remember to visit the Neuschwanstein Castle along the way.

Also, try to use A96 on your way back. It's got great and perfectly paved segments with no speed limits where your M3 will inspire confidence doing over 135 miles per hour. Quite scenic too, but at that speed, I was really focused on the road.
I see ... I'll pm you my number and maybe we can meet sometime ... it would be great !

Aleks.
Appreciate 0