BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

02-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #67
CraZee M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
The badge doesn't make it an M...

My badge lasted about 3 hours - the time it took to drive from the dealer to my house. I couldn't care less if anyone knows what kind of car it is and the rear looks 10x cleaner without it. It looks unbalanced with a badge on one side and nothing on the other.
you have OCD and are nuts.
take it easy bro.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #68
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Quote:

My badge lasted about 3 hours - the time it took to drive from the dealer to my house. I couldn't care less if anyone knows what kind of car it is and the rear looks 10x cleaner without it. It looks unbalanced with a badge on one side and nothing on the other.
You need to get that steering wheel moved over to center as well, 'cos the stock setup make the car look waaaay off balance.

The M badge balances the driver, badge on right, driver on left!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #69
///M_Wraith
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3/4

LOL

I am an attention whore. Why would I want less?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #70
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraZee M3 View Post
you have OCD and are nuts.
take it easy bro.
      02-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #71
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

We don't need no stinking badges!!

I wonder if there is a correlation between badged M3s and low miles. Well, not just badged M3, but but badged M3s that belong to people who think we're crazy for de-badging. Those are the people who don't drive them in the rain. haha
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #72
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

gonna slap on a VTEC sticker on mines
      02-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #73
MWorldorder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 03:32 AM   #74
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
Is there even a point to debadging? I think that there are 2 types of people: ones that can tell an M3 from other 3-series with or without the badge, and ones that just recognize that it's a bimmer. I mean, the badge is so small that it hardly means anything.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 04:06 AM   #75
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

M is sumthing very special why take it off the car. The badge's there for a purpose to show that the car is different. Plus if those of you who debadge so that you don't want to be flashy then you are just being silly. A 70k bmw with vented fendor, power dome, aggressive exhaust and 19inch wheels Why the fuck did you buy the car if the last thing you wanna do is drawing attentions.....stupid people....
      02-21-2009, 04:31 AM   #76
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Whats the point in de-badging an M3. Surely the quad pipes exiting near the centre of the rear is a dead give a way. Dooh.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 04:51 AM   #77
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
M is sumthing very special why take it off the car. The badge's there for a purpose to show that the car is different. Plus if those of you who debadge so that you don't want to be flashy then you are just being silly. A 70k bmw with vented fendor, power dome, aggressive exhaust and 19inch wheels Why the fuck did you buy the car if the last thing you wanna do is drawing attentions.....stupid people....
It might be hard to figure, but there are people who don't buy cars to draw attention. The fact that you're mentioning the price makes me think you're fitting another category. It doesn't bug me, what about you trying to do the same aswell instead of acting cool and insulting?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 04:53 AM   #78
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Whats the point in de-badging an M3. Surely the quad pipes exiting near the centre of the rear is a dead give a way. Dooh.
Have a look at this:

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #79
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
South I love that one.

I can so relate to this, in my area the amount of Golf R32 look-a-likes that are actually 1.9TDIs would amaze you. I suppose it's the highest form of flattery. Though mimicing the performance is a little trickier.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #80
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I think "sum" people are missing the point. No one de-badging their M3 is doing it to blend in. Rather we think that the back end of the car looks way better, and cleaner without the M3. Everything on a car is symmetrical... save for the M3 badge on the trunk. It's just better looking without it, and that's not up for debate.

Plus, don't give people too much credit. A while back, my friend got me some emblems while living in Japan that just had M stripes on them and didn't say BMW. I had them on the trunk and hood of my LSB 2001 M3. Well, i was sitting outdoors at a resturant and had the pleasure of being about 10' from my car. Well, a couple of guys walk by, stop, look at the car, look at each other while talking about how cool it was for about 45 seconds. Then they ask each other "what is it"? They walk around the back, then to the front, all while looking stumped. Then one of them looks at the wheels and says to the other one... "it's a B" the other guy's like, what? It's a B! You know, BMW!?!

So, for all the people that can identify the car by looking at it's exhaust or fenders, there are 100x as many who can't tell what it is with out a badge being on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #81
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
Is there even a point to debadging? I think that there are 2 types of people: ones that can tell an M3 from other 3-series with or without the badge, and ones that just recognize that it's a bimmer. I mean, the badge is so small that it hardly means anything.
True to a degree - except when it's some dude who knows what the M-car is but think his PoS is hotter because it's 'riced' ... but it's an aesthetic point as well.

I think the bum looks better without it, and also prefer the lower profile of not having it.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #82
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Have a look at this:

Best regards, south
Good one mate!

That is so phucked up - and the sound is

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 02-21-2009 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #83
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I think "sum" people are missing the point. No one de-badging their M3 is doing it to blend in. Rather we think that the back end of the car looks way better, and cleaner without the M3. Everything on a car is symmetrical... save for the M3 badge on the trunk. It's just better looking without it, and that's not up for debate.

Plus, don't give people too much credit. A while back, my friend got me some emblems while living in Japan that just had M stripes on them and didn't say BMW. I had them on the trunk and hood of my LSB 2001 M3. Well, i was sitting outdoors at a resturant and had the pleasure of being about 10' from my car. Well, a couple of guys walk by, stop, look at the car, look at each other while talking about how cool it was for about 45 seconds. Then they ask each other "what is it"? They walk around the back, then to the front, all while looking stumped. Then one of them looks at the wheels and says to the other one... "it's a B" the other guy's like, what? It's a B! You know, BMW!?!

So, for all the people that can identify the car by looking at it's exhaust or fenders, there are 100x as many who can't tell what it is with out a badge being on it.
I think you must not have read SouthLights posts in this thread...
Quote:
The purpose of debadging is that at least 6 out of 10 people imo will never ever recognize a M3 as what it is without the badge. It's all about understatement. Here in Europe a lot of people have M3 badges on their 320i/325i (or whatever). So having a car debadged is pretty cool. I personally don't need to much attraction for driving an M. The M is only for me, not for other people's staring.
Sounds like a blender to me.

Again, I agree with those who debadge because of the clean look, but those who debadge in the hope that an M will suddenly no longer look like an M (despite the 6 other M badges on the outside of the car), or those who claim that those who do not debadge are "posers", just don't make any sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #84
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
I think you must not have read SouthLights posts in this thread...

Sounds like a blender to me.

Again, I agree with those who debadge because of the clean look, but those who debadge in the hope that an M will suddenly no longer look like an M (despite the 6 other M badges on the outside of the car), or those who claim that those who do not debadge are "posers", just don't make any sense to me.
I guess that's one of the little differences between Europe and USA. Remember we don't call it a Quarter Pounder with Cheese either.

Read my other posts and you get a picture of it. I never said that those who don't debadge are posers. I'm just saying that some are and some others to the extent of driving a 530d with an M5 badge. As far as the other 6 badges go: You're right for the two on the side vents. Anyway an ///M on the wheels doesn't mean anything. We have M sport models here (give you some months for their introduction in the US 'til you know what I mean) and these also have wheels with M badges on.

Like I said before. It doesn't bug me whether anybody has these badges on their car or not and for what reason. But why is it I have to explain my reasoning for choosing the debadge option?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #85
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
I guess that's one of the little differences between Europe and USA. Remember we don't call it a Quarter Pounder with Cheese either.

Read my other posts and you get a picture of it. I never said that those who don't debadge are posers. I'm just saying that some are and some others to the extent of driving a 530d with an M5 badge. As far as the other 6 badges go: You're right for the two on the side vents. Anyway an ///M on the wheels doesn't mean anything. We have M sport models here (give you some months for their introduction in the US 'til you know what I mean) and these also have wheels with M badges on.

Like I said before. It doesn't bug me whether anybody has these badges on their car or not and for what reason. But why is it I have to explain my reasoning for choosing the debadge option?

Best regards, south
+1, well phrased

I went as far as deleting the side vent M3 badges. Still debating if I should debadge the rear. I'm running after market wheels so no M there.
      02-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #86
CraZee M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Have a look at this:

Best regards, south
OMG that sounds horrible!! all that noise and its sooo slow!
you can clearly tell that is not a m3. what a joke!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #87
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Great way to shed weight
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #88
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator