BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
duffman1966
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

All Season Tire Question 220m

Hey Anybody- So I need new tires, but I'm not sure which to go with. I live in Maryland so we get all the seasons. I don't want to put on a dedicated winter set. I think if I go up to 275/35/19 I can get some decent all season tires, but not sure which to go with or even if I need to. I have a truck I can drive when snow is in the forecast, but I've heard that the max/extreme tires are nearly worthless when temps get in the 30's? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

The new Michelin A/S 3s are supposedly extremely good and give up very little performance to a summer tire. They haven't been out very long through so no real feedback in the cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
dadealus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13'E92 M3

My rear left keeps loosing air, my front right has a slight bulge :X so I guess I'm in dire need of swapping my tires as well. I am further bit south than you (Richmond, VA) and I'm torn as to what I should do.

1. part of me thinks I should get a winter setup but this may be overkill for the one or two "heavy" snow days we get here. and in a few months once it heats back up to 40s+F I'll need to rebuy a new set of summers.

2. I keep seeing alot of hype about the Michelin A/S 3s and the cheap skate in me thinks "hey these might fit all your needs!" but the driver side of me thinks " no way these will be as good as dedicated summer tires"

3. a 3rd idea i have is to just scrw it and just buy a new set of PSS (my only reservation is those 2 days of MAYBE snow and doesnt driving summer tires in <40F weather cause increased wear?)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

When I bought my car, it came with DWS's (dry / wet / snow)...pretty good A/S tire I feel. Never really driven on A/S tires before so I had not idea what to expect. Traction is obviously limited compared to summer tires, but I put them on last winter here in Indiana and drove on the snow with them, did fine. However, I prefer dedicated winter / summer tires as the A/S just let you know in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman1966 View Post
Hey Anybody- So I need new tires, but I'm not sure which to go with. I live in Maryland so we get all the seasons. I don't want to put on a dedicated winter set. I think if I go up to 275/35/19 I can get some decent all season tires, but not sure which to go with or even if I need to. I have a truck I can drive when snow is in the forecast, but I've heard that the max/extreme tires are nearly worthless when temps get in the 30's? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Michelin AS3 would be the sportiest all-season tire available. You might try a set of those, and if they don't cut it for your summer driving, they you know you need summer tires.

Summer tires will be worthless in the snow, and definitely lose some grip the colder it gets, but on a cold dry road, driven moderately, they are not too bad. Cold and wet gets a bit dicey. Cold and snowy: park it.
      10-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

It's a shame to run all-season tires on an M3 in the summer. I would get snows and summer tires. You can always sell the snows / wheels when you are done with them. And keep in mind that the tires are a wash... miles are miles whether they are all on one set or split between two.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tires worked pretty good for me when I had the S2000. Good enough on windy roads in the summer, and handled Cold weather and rain just fine. Never tried them in snow but are supposed to be ok for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
It's a shame to run all-season tires on an M3 in the summer. I would get snows and summer tires. You can always sell the snows / wheels when you are done with them. And keep in mind that the tires are a wash... miles are miles whether they are all on one set or split between two.
This is generally my feeling as well. Especially given that the OP has a truck, so could get away with just summers on the M3 if he really didn't want to buy a 2nd set.
      10-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch
Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tires worked pretty good for me when I had the S2000. Good enough on windy roads in the summer, and handled Cold weather and rain just fine. Never tried them in snow but are supposed to be ok for it.
They get incredibly loud as they wear. Didnt touch them again. I would go with michelins, the hype was big and its living up to it despite how recent it is
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
jason561
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT

Don't under estimate the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, they are amazing tires, I have had them for about 4 months (2k miles) now and I am thoroughly impressed with them! They replaced a set of PS2's and I cant tell the difference performance wise, they are much better than Hankook V12 Evos. I have not had them in the cold weather yet and don't forget they have a 45k milage warranty!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason561 View Post
Don't under estimate the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, they are amazing tires, I have had them for about 4 months (2k miles) now and I am thoroughly impressed with them! They replaced a set of PS2's and I cant tell the difference performance wise, they are much better than Hankook V12 Evos. I have not had them in the cold weather yet and don't forget they have a 45k milage warranty!
How are you saying the Michelin PS A/S 3 are better than the PS2? Meaning in what levels; grip, noise, comfort, etc...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
jason561
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
How are you saying the Michelin PS A/S 3 are better than the PS2? Meaning in what levels; grip, noise, comfort, etc...
Im not saying they are better, but very close to the same performance on the streets. Grip is on to par with the PS2 but I have heard that All Season tire's grip drops as they start to wear more. Noise is a little louder but that could be attributed to the 10.5/32nds of tread... Comfort is good really don't notice any difference. Overall I am very happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
+1. I am very happy with my set as well. I could have gone with Pilot Super Sport or A/S3. But since I use track wheels/tire for the track, wanted decent street tires which also LAST. These have UQGA rating of 500 which is more than double that of my PS2 (not that they will last twice as long but def last longer than both PS2 and PSS).

I also run negative camber up front and wanted tires which can be flipped to get more wear up front and you can with these.

Summer performance, Tire Rack has a test (or Car and Driver) but google it. They tested it against Bridgestone and Continental D/W Summer Max Perf and these were BETTER.

I am running 275/35 back 255/35 front on 220s as well and could be happier.

The steering feel is very comparable than PS2, ride quality is slightly better for DC road but overall, traction is superb. I can gun it in 1st/2nd with traction off and the rears hook up REALLY well.

Cannot go wrong, they will change the way you think of A/S. Love it! Plus there is a $70 rebate going on as well.

If you are in MD, may want to reach out to Radial Tire in Silver Spring. Speak to Paul (the owner). They had the best prices and great service to boot.

Yes it does come with some crazy wear warranty. 30-40K for the back 15-20K for the front. Also Paul told me I have 30 days to try these out. if I don't like them, he'd be happy to change them to Pilot Super Sport. I wont be as I like these tires (very comparable to PS2 for feel/comfort for street).

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadealus View Post

2. I keep seeing alot of hype about the Michelin A/S 3s and the cheap skate in me thinks "hey these might fit all your needs!" but the driver side of me thinks " no way these will be as good as dedicated summer tires"
Again, you will be amazed. They really are this BRILLIANT! Try them, if you don't like them, swap them for PSS (per Radial Tire guarantee).

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Have you guys had a chance to get the Pilot Sport AS 3 out to autocross or a track day?

I have never been a fan of all-seasons simply because they are a jack of all trades, but master of none. They're basically mediocre in every category, and a car like the M3 demands good tires.
      10-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #16
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Have you guys had a chance to get the Pilot Sport AS 3 out to autocross or a track day?

I have never been a fan of all-seasons simply because they are a jack of all trades, but master of none. They're basically mediocre in every category, and a car like the M3 demands good tires.
They are new so not a lot of review. But then our reviews are opinions at best. They did do a test (google up) when Michelin threw in STis and A4s for track, wet autox test and they were ahead of the curve compared to some of the max perf all season tires.

Hey, at the end of the day, any tires you get will get heat cycled over the year and the performance will drop significantly (yes less tread = more perf but your tires are also cycled out). These have a good feel and I honestly cannot tell the diff in performance on the street.

Will be my track day wet setup too. Think of these as wet PSS at best.

I'll be at Summit Point in 2 weeks and will throw these on and later RA1s and keep data to see how they did

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Understand. I'd just like to hear some subjective feedback. I already have the PSS and am totally satisfied with those, but my dad's Infiniti will need some new tires come spring and I might be able to steer him towards those (he has had a few sets of the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/AS Plus, the predecessor).
      10-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
jason561
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
+1. I am very happy with my set as well. I could have gone with Pilot Super Sport or A/S3. But since I use track wheels/tire for the track, wanted decent street tires which also LAST. These have UQGA rating of 500 which is more than double that of my PS2 (not that they will last twice as long but def last longer than both PS2 and PSS).

I also run negative camber up front and wanted tires which can be flipped to get more wear up front and you can with these.

Summer performance, Tire Rack has a test (or Car and Driver) but google it. They tested it against Bridgestone and Continental D/W Summer Max Perf and these were BETTER.

I am running 275/35 back 255/35 front on 220s as well and could be happier.

The steering feel is very comparable than PS2, ride quality is slightly better for DC road but overall, traction is superb. I can gun it in 1st/2nd with traction off and the rears hook up REALLY well.

Cannot go wrong, they will change the way you think of A/S. Love it! Plus there is a $70 rebate going on as well.

If you are in MD, may want to reach out to Radial Tire in Silver Spring. Speak to Paul (the owner). They had the best prices and great service to boot.

Yes it does come with some crazy wear warranty. 30-40K for the back 15-20K for the front. Also Paul told me I have 30 days to try these out. if I don't like them, he'd be happy to change them to Pilot Super Sport. I wont be as I like these tires (very comparable to PS2 for feel/comfort for street).

Lutfy
Agreed very impressive tire, I am running the same setup but sometimes I wonder if 275/30 would have been better in the rear. They look pretty chunky in the rear?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Agreed very impressive tire, I am running the same setup but sometimes I wonder if 275/30 would have been better in the rear. They look pretty chunky in the rear?
275/35/19 is a better size for the rear. 275/30/19 is too small of a diameter for the rear. It's a great size for the front but not the rear.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #20
jason561
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
275/35/19 is a better size for the rear. 275/30/19 is too small of a diameter for the rear. It's a great size for the front but not the rear.
Ok thanks for clearing that up!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #21
///S65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII DCT

Hey guys, I live in Indiana where it kind of snows a lot. Do you think A/S 3 is able to handle the ice and snow? Or should I get a set of LM60S?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #22
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///S65 View Post
Hey guys, I live in Indiana where it kind of snows a lot. Do you think A/S 3 is able to handle the ice and snow? Or should I get a set of LM60S?

Dedicated snow tires will always do better than even the best all-seasons. I would really recommend a set of cheap wheels with snow tires. Swap it out as soon as the temperatures are staying around 45 degrees.