BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

10-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

European Delivery car prep and maintenance - suggestions wanted!

Hi guys,

I leave on Friday to pick up my Jerez Black E92 M3. I want to do everything I can to protect the interior and exterior of the car during the ED. I'm also having redelivery at PCD, with a 1000 mile drive home.

Here's my plan so far:
  • After I pick up the car, but before I drive it away from the Welt, I'll find a spot to park and put a coat of Menzerna Power Lock Sealant on the car with a Lake Country Red Foam Applicator Pad. I believe I'll need to buff this off with a good MF towel? Or just use another clean red pad.
  • I will use Leather Master Protectant applied via MF towel on steering wheel/seats.
  • For bugs/tar, I have some P21S TAW that I'll put in a travel spray bottle, and wipe off with MF towels.
  • What else do I need?

I'm not too concerned about keeping the car looking good while I'm over there, I'm more worried about just good paint/interior preservation and protection.

Thanks for any tips, it seems like I've been waiting forever for this car!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

congrats on the new car!

wash, clay, seal while you are over there.
303 fabric guard for the carpets
303 protectant for the non leather
leather master (if you like that over leatherique, both are popular)

How long is it going to be over there anyway? I doubt in the time its there you will have any problems with waiting, but if you feel the need to do a new car prep there, have at it! It cant hurt
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thanks!

I'll have the car there over there for 9 days before drop off. I'm not sure if I'll have the time and means for a full wash, clay and seal. That is my reasoning behind a good application of the Menzerna Power Lock immediately upon picking up the car.

I don't have any of the 303 stuff you mentioned, I may need to get some of that now.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

It doesn't look like I can get some of the 303 fabric guard before I leave.

I'm considering this, instead: http://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Car...d=6BES1759T2F4
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

the claying on a new car will only take about 20-30 minutes USUALLY. The reason I suggested it is because you want the sealant to bond to the paint, not the debris on the paint. New cars have to be clay, even direct from the factory.

9 days is not a long time at all! I do new car preps for people at the 1-2 month mark because of scheduling conflicts on both ends. No big deal!

To be honest, I would probably just wait til you get it back here then do a full protection detail on the car: wash, clay, light polish, sealant, and all the interior stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
the claying on a new car will only take about 20-30 minutes USUALLY. The reason I suggested it is because you want the sealant to bond to the paint, not the debris on the paint. New cars have to be clay, even direct from the factory.
Interesting. My main goal for sealing is to help fight the bug/debris stickiness a bit, since I won't have an opportunity for a proper wash.

Quote:
9 days is not a long time at all! I do new car preps for people at the 1-2 month mark because of scheduling conflicts on both ends. No big deal!

To be honest, I would probably just wait til you get it back here then do a full protection detail on the car: wash, clay, light polish, sealant, and all the interior stuff.
Yeah, I'm kinda conflicted.... I don't care that the car looks perfect, this is more preventative-maintenance than anything. I figured a good coat of sealant will be critical, as I'll be driving ~1000mi in Europe, then another ~1000 after PCD, before I get home.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' M3 E92

Here is a question for thought. How long is the curing process?? If you are doing on ED should be concerned about applying wax or claying?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSKIER View Post
Here is a question for thought. How long is the curing process?? If you are doing on ED should be concerned about applying wax or claying?
As I understand the process, the paint is baked on, upon leaving the factory. No need for curing.

I don't plan on applying wax.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I've done plenty of ED's...

I did all of that stuff that you are talking about on my 1st couple.... I have not done anything to my latest M3.

By the time you pick up your car, it is already prepped and good to go. It will get washed multiple times after you drop it off and redelivery....

My advice is do nothing and enjoy your car....
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
I've done plenty of ED's...

I did all of that stuff that you are talking about on my 1st couple.... I have not done anything to my latest M3.
Definitely appreciate comments from fellow ED'ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
By the time you pick up your car, it is already prepped and good to go. It will get washed multiple times after you drop it off and redelivery....

My advice is do nothing and enjoy your car....
Yes, I'm definitely aware that between drop off and PCD redelivery there will be plenty of washes of dubious activity. And I'm realize it's pointless to be anal about the car, because you can't avoid that. Just trying to do a little preventative care. But I'm beginning to think even that may be a bit futile.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

if you cant wash it, you cant seal it either!

honestly, it sounds more and more like you need/should just wait til you can spend a day with it when you get home!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:

You are thinking about a car that arrived from a factory overseas, and was sitting on a dealer lot for day/weeks. The OP is talking about a car that just got built days before, at the factory across the street from where he's picking it up... there is absolutely no need to clay ED cars at pick up.

Last edited by Technic; 10-12-2011 at 05:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I used Meguiars Quick Wax and a coat of Rain-X in the glass in my ED (right after the "Victory Lap") and that was it... enjoy the drive, Sam.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #14
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

I appreciate all the input, guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #15
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

I wouldn't do anything personally; just wait for it to get home.

If you are hellbent, then just do a quick wax and remove it with a MF. But it is already going to have wax on it from BMW - it will have gone through the new car prep and this is part of it.

Leather doesn't need anything for months, at the earliest.

MF and quick detailer works great for bugs/debris.

Enjoy ED!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #16
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You are thinking about a car that arrived from a factory overseas, and was sitting on a dealer lot for day/weeks. The OP is talking about a car that just got built days before, at the factory across the street from where he's picking it up... there is absolutely no need to clay ED cars at pick up.
doh, forgot about that part. i was thinking it was going to be on a dealer lot over there!

still, Id be will to be there is something that will be picked up, but I have never done a ED so I dont know for certain...

anyway, still would wait til you got it home!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Old thread, but I thought I would bump it back up since it's been 7 months since my ED.

I spent an hour "prepping" the car immediately after pick up. A few things: Technic was right, there was no need to clay. I did clay, but there was no debris on the paint. It was wasted time. I also think that applying sealant was probably wasted time as well. After all the harshness of being over there, being transported, being redelivered at PCD, I don't really know of any benefits the sealant had. It took until I could get the car back and spend time with a Porter Cable + compound to remove all the swirls it picked up between drop off and re-delivery. I'm pretty sure I picked up the swirling at either the VPC, or at PCD, when they wash/wax your car.

I also spent time in the interior putting down a can of Scotchgard, and Leather Master leather protectant. The Scotchgard was a waste. I think Scotchgard is good if you think you might get heavy soiling from water/snow/mud. We avoided that in Europe. Really, worst case scenario is you buy a new set of mats. I was Scotchgarding all the carpet, including the trunk, while I was in the Welt parking lot. Total overkill.

The Leather Master protectant was probably not a bad idea. I can see just how good LM works on another car we have with lighter leather. Put a good coat on clean leather, and future staining comes off pretty nicely.

So, to sum up... for my next ED, I'll just stick to 5 minutes of Leather Master protectant, and not sweat any of the rest. It will all get a nice detail when it gets back to my house a few months later. Besides, the 1.5 hours I spent frantically prepping the Welt garage would have been better spent wandering around looking at cars
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
///Machine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 / '11 X5d

I was wondering if the LM you applied has any influence on the new car smell? Something I would like to keep as long as possible.
Also, if ultimately does all the leather protection causes the glossy/plasticky look to interior leather?
I am starting to plan an ED for 2013 and would appreciate any inputs. This thread is great, makes me not waste valuable time with all the paint protection. I will use that time visiting the Welt and maybe look at a few deliveries....must be awesome.
      05-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJA///M3 View Post
I was wondering if the LM you applied has any influence on the new car smell? Something I would like to keep as long as possible.
Also, if ultimately does all the leather protection causes the glossy/plasticky look to interior leather?
I am starting to plan an ED for 2013 and would appreciate any inputs. This thread is great, makes me not waste valuable time with all the paint protection. I will use that time visiting the Welt and maybe look at a few deliveries....must be awesome.
Leather Master definitely does not have any odor that impacts the new car smell. It's practically odorless, itself. And it definitely does not cause that shiny look. It looks the exact same as before you apply it. From what I could gather, the LM products are the very highest quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #20
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Automotive upho;stery leather has a urethane covering for abrasion resistance and pigmentation that provides an even coloring to the finish

Urethane doesn't produce a leather smell, the so-called new car smell is the result of vinyl and the many adhesives used in the interior off-gassing
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

How picky are you about rock chips and the like. If you really want piece of mind get a clear bra done in Munich, there are several places. I planned on doing it, but didn't, and within 3 days of my ED I had a couple pock marks on the front bumper. Not a big deal, but food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

I was a bit nervous about rock chips, but the hassle of trying to get a clear bra over there was not worth it. You're only going to be over there for ~1000 miles or less. Mine made it home free of chips.
Appreciate 0