BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Splooge911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Instead of snow tires....

Just wanted to put this out there to see what others think....

I live in NY on the NJ border and we don't get crazy amounts of snow. Maybe acouple of storms and maybe 1 big one. I was looking to buy a rim and snow tire package from tire rack that would cost me $1700 plus install (I know install is not that much). Then I started thinking and thought what if instead I used that $1700 to rent an SUV the night before snow storms. We all know now when storms are coming because every news station lets you know days in advance. I have a local Avis and Dollar rental place that Im sure would make a "snow special" deal for me for maybe $50 a day. They don't rent cars when it snows so I would be welcomed business.

$1700 divided by $50 a storm would give me 34 storms... just over 11 per season. I don't think i would even need it for that many days so i could even save money. On top of it, I wouldn't have to risk taking out the M3 on bad days with winter tires and risk someone else slamming into me or me slidding into a curb. I can enjoy snow days in an SUV....

Am I making sense? Anyone else ever think of this?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
You will have trouble even in 1inch of snow with summer tires. Personally i wouldnt risk it. Lets also not forget your summer tires will be hard as pucks in winter temps. Not much grip even if its dry out.

However you could get a beater car for $1700.
      11-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
hbcpa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 MR E90 M3

It's not just the snow it's the low temps too.

The 3 months per year you also save summer tire wear. You might be able to save from buying one set of summer tires too.
      11-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

You're not the only one with that idea. Most SUVs rent out before a snow storm.

I'd take the 1700 dollars and buy a 4 wheel drive truck and put snow tires on it. Just get something with high miles that will run forever.
      11-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
Splooge911
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcpa View Post
It's not just the snow it's the low temps too.

The 3 months per year you also save summer tire wear. You might be able to save from buying one set of summer tires too.
true

I used my 335i run flats in the winter. How do the M3 tires compare in the cold temps?

Of course if i floor it i spin alittle but i go easier than I would in the summer

are the M3 tires a different animal in the cold temps?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: `16 MW F80 M3

i was really wondering the same thing.. is it really undrivable in the winter? with the stock tires on? even in cold temps with dry surfaces would be dangerous?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

I tried doing this when I lived in NYC and Chicago. Always wound up being more of a PITA to reserve, pick it up, paperwork, fill with gas, return, etc... You also need to know how long a storm will last so you know how long to keep it.

Plus contrary to what you said, I found it was hard to get an SUV during snow days (through Hertz in Manhattan.) Agree it would theoretically save money but not worth the effort unless you have a lot of time on your hands and don't mind the hassle. I'd just take a cab/subway/train on shitty days.
      11-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Not a bad idea but here a few things to consider:

1. it's not just the snow you need to worry about, yoru PS2 will not be very safe under 40 degrees and in freezing road conditions.

2. You should try simply buying winter tires and mounting them, a good set of 4 will cost around $850 excluding installation.

3. An SUV is not any safer in winter conditions than a car with proper tires. It gives you an impression of safety b/c of it's weight, but it doesn't brake any easier or shorter in snow or rain for that matter. I actually feel less safe braking in the snow in a SUV. It all depends on the tires used on the vehicle, not the vehicle itself, how can you ensure Avis gives you the proper winter tires for the rental? When it snows, I've noticed the most common vehicles I've seen in ditches are SUVs, and I've noticed those spin out more than cars on ice due to it's uneven weight distribution and disconnected feel when driving on snow/ice (you won't feel yourself slipping until too late).

4. Instead of renting an ultra expensive SUV, why not just go with a $25 a day economy rental? Also, weekly rates are even cheaper than $25 a day.

I vote for simple winter tire replacements for $850. I bought my full set mounted on my OEM 18's for $300 (discontinued Pirrelli PZero Nero M&S.)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
i was really wondering the same thing.. is it really undrivable in the winter? with the stock tires on? even in cold temps with dry surfaces would be dangerous?
The first winter I had my 6 series, I tried to drive it in the winter.
In a dusting of snow, it was undriveable. Couldn't even make it up the driveway of my house.
The M3 with more power, would be totally unmanageable...
Get snow tires...
      11-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I live up a hill, and it's always fun to see all the cars parked on the hill during the first dusting. Usually summer tires on nice cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
walsh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Def don't try and make it through a winter with summer tires... not smart
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
kyoshozx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I live in NYC and if you're planning to drive your car during the winter you should get winter tires. Like everyone said even without snow the low temps really hurts traction. PS2 are hard as rock when it's cold.

Personally I just bought a trickler charger and planning to leave the car in the garage over the winter and driving something else instead. I'll be driving the m3 once a week or when weather permits it to keep everything lubricated but thats about it.

For $1700 just pick up a beater or something in my opinion thats the best thing to do.
      11-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

The low temp (below 45) will make your summer performance tire stiff and less (or no) tractions. Get a winter set and it will also save on your summer tire mileage.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
Not a bad idea but here a few things to consider:

1. it's not just the snow you need to worry about, yoru PS2 will not be very safe under 40 degrees and in freezing road conditions.

I vote for simple winter tire replacements for $850. I bought my full set mounted on my OEM 18's for $300 (discontinued Pirrelli PZero Nero M&S.)
I don't know where you live but I think its near you (ie I'm by the NY/NJ state line). Listen, you need winter tires if you are ever planning to drive the car out in the winter time (even on a non-snow day). The summer tires are crap in the cold. And trust me, I know cause I didn't change my tires fast enough one winter and literally my car was stranded on the highway during a sudden snow storm cause it had no friggin traction (this was my 335i coupe).

If you really want to save the money, just get the winter tires as the poster mentioned above. The most logical choice I believe (if you don't want to spring for a whole winter set).

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #15
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
Completely undriveable on snow, downright scary on wet roads at just above freezing and passable on very cold dry roads if you are sensible.

They are ultra high performance summer tires - they don't even try to be all seasons.
      11-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #16
! Beck Guy Nice That
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW FR E93

e30 ix ftw
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #17
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splooge911 View Post
Just wanted to put this out there to see what others think....

I live in NY on the NJ border and we don't get crazy amounts of snow. Maybe acouple of storms and maybe 1 big one. I was looking to buy a rim and snow tire package from tire rack that would cost me $1700 plus install (I know install is not that much). Then I started thinking and thought what if instead I used that $1700 to rent an SUV the night before snow storms. We all know now when storms are coming because every news station lets you know days in advance. I have a local Avis and Dollar rental place that Im sure would make a "snow special" deal for me for maybe $50 a day. They don't rent cars when it snows so I would be welcomed business.

$1700 divided by $50 a storm would give me 34 storms... just over 11 per season. I don't think i would even need it for that many days so i could even save money. On top of it, I wouldn't have to risk taking out the M3 on bad days with winter tires and risk someone else slamming into me or me slidding into a curb. I can enjoy snow days in an SUV....

Am I making sense? Anyone else ever think of this?
Alot of people will argue with me on this, but I think your situation largely depends on what alternate modes of transport you have. I live in NYC, so I can always depend on buses or subway if the weather is atrocious outside.

I personally choose to not run winter tires. I drove my stock summer performance tires (PS2s) last winter, and surprisingly, I didn't have any major issues. The car gave me ample grip, even in low temperatures. I will say this, however - you need to get into the habit of short shifting and being easy on the gas when the temperature falls below freezing. You also have to be careful on curves, and not overdo it. But aside from these, it was fine. I even did a few winter trips when the temp was 15-20F outside, and I didn't have any MAJOR issues. That being said, if it rains or snows, forget about it. I tried driving the PS2s in a mild flurry, and it was like driving on hockey pucks. I drive very infrequently in the winter (I NEVER take the car out if there's even the slightest bit of ice/snow/wet stuff on the ground).

So, to sum up what I think: if you have alternate modes of transport, and you are willing to be careful and sensible in your winter driving,keeping the PS2s on is a viable option. Also, a quick disclaimer - what I might feel is adequate grip in dry weather is not necessarily what you might be comfortable with. If you want to take the safe route or if you are worried about NEEDING to drive at any point in the winter, then just get winter tires. Good luck and be safe

Last edited by Echo M3; 11-19-2010 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #18
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

why dont you just buy a winter beater car like an old civic and drive that in the winter. you would only have to insure it during winter and you could just get liability on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 05:24 AM   #19
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Guys,

Even if he got a beater he'd STILL need winter tires on it so he'd STILL have to spend that money. Maybe not as much as 18" winters but going with a beater will compound his expenses, not mitigate them.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #20
AceHollywood
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i/08 X5/09 E92 M3

Why would he need winter tires if he has a beater? I don't agree. My biggest concern is not my driving, it's the other driver's driving! I'd hate to have somebody slide into me.

I bought a used pathfinder that runs strong and gets me there in one piece.

No winter tires here. Just park the m3, put a battery tender on her and drive it when it's sunny and dry!
      11-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #21
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceHollywood View Post
Why would he need winter tires if he has a beater? I don't agree. My biggest concern is not my driving, it's the other driver's driving! I'd hate to have somebody slide into me.

I bought a used pathfinder that runs strong and gets me there in one piece.

No winter tires here. Just park the m3, put a battery tender on her and drive it when it's sunny and dry!
Becasue he's still going to drive ti in the winter, correct? Just because it's a piece of shit doesn't mean it gets magical "drives fine in the snow" superpowers. I've driven a small, light car on all-seasons in snow It sucked ass and was BARELY better than driving on summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #22
Splooge911
Private First Class
Rep

Snow tires and a new set of rims it is!!! I appreciate everyones advice

Now who wants to recommend the best deals they have seen? I was going to go with staggered 18's Sport Addition A7 from tire rack with Dunlops. With TPMS its $1700.

I would like to find a nice deal on someone selling OEM 18's and slap some snow tires on those. Then I can have the true M look year round

Last edited by Splooge911; 11-19-2010 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0