BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Meisterschaft GT Racing exhaust.

Can anyone post their feedback on this exhaust? Is this louder than the GT2? Is there any drone on the GT Racing? If so, is it a lot of drone? Is the GT Racing very loud? Canit be used for daily driving?

Thanks.
Nick
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Can anyone post their feedback on this exhaust? Is this louder than the GT2? Is there any drone on the GT Racing? If so, is it a lot of drone? Is the GT Racing very loud? Canit be used for daily driving?

Thanks.
Nick

hell no the gt2 is the loudest of all the meisterschaft mufflers...cant really comment on the gt since i never had one
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW E92 M3 w/DCT

I just installed the GT (cat back) this past week and I use it as a daily driver. It is not as loud as the GT2. I will post a review sometime today. There is definitely drone with the setup I have and it occurs around 2800 - 3200 RPM. I recorded some in car footage, but the sound on the tape...at least on my computer setup, seems to drone around 2000 RPM. I am going to take some more footage to try and isolate the drone around 3K RPM.

I have the DCT x-mission and this equates to about 85 MPH in 7th gear. As long as your foot is not on the gas, there is no drone. The more throttle, the more drone until the RPM increases past 3200. I was looking for the drone, so I noticed it. Kind of helps to save a little fuel when driving on the highway. You can give it just enough gas that the velocity stays constant and there is no drone. Anything else and the drone increases. To be honest, it doesn't bother me.....I purchased the exhaust because I wanted to hear it. My wife on the other hand, she noticed it right away.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

NeoE46, would you say that drone is like say, Eisenmann or Remus Race kind of drone? Is it bearable? How's the quality of the exhaust build?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep

Quote:
NeoE46, would you say that drone is like say, Eisenmann or Remus Race kind of drone? Is it bearable? How's the quality of the exhaust build?
Quality of build is excellent. I can't compare the drone to the other exhausts. I just shot more video and the camera seems to be highlighting a droning sound around 2000 RPM. I am not hearing this while in the car. As I stated before, it is around 3000 RPM that the drone becomes noticeable. On the video; however, it is barely noticeable.

As far as living with it, it sounds pretty good to me. Definitely worth living with given the level of drone present.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
ADubM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

look forward to the vid clips as I am looking for an exhaust as well.
Is the GT 'look at me' or obnoxious loud?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep

GT rear section only video

Gents,

Here is video of the GT on an 09 E92 M3 with DCT. I try to highlight in the video that there is some drone with the system. To my ears, it is most noticeable at 3000 RPM. In the video, you will see that it peaks at about the 2000 RPM limit (at least it replays that way with my current setup - laptop speakers don't do a good job of portraying the sound).

I am going to shoot some more video with a different camera to pull this variable out of the equation. It is quite strange that the video indicates the exact opposite of what I hear in reality and also shows how people might also be more sensitive to drone at certain frequencies.

http://vimeo.com/9457913

Last edited by NeoE46; 02-15-2010 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

How painful is the drone? I want this exhaust but the video sounds really unbearable after 30 seconds with my speaker setup (I have a powerful subwoofer). I don't want to have ringing in my ears after this. Maybe I would like the AA or the UUC Corsa better.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
How painful is the drone? I want this exhaust but the video sounds really unbearable after 30 seconds with my speaker setup (I have a powerful subwoofer). I don't want to have ringing in my ears after this. Maybe I would like the AA or the UUC Corsa better.
I've read every last thread on this site about this exhaust, and everyone says that the drone is little to non existant. Most guys don't even hear it unless they're actually listening for it. The GT2 on the other hand is said to have drone. One thread said that the GT has no drone on the inside as compared to the Eisenmann Race but is just as loud on the outside.

Of all the sound clips I've listened too on YouTube I have to admit that the Meisterschaft GT is the best sounding axle back out ther for this car. I just ordered one from a vendor and got a very good price for the system with SR pipes and shield. PM me if you want more details.

I'll be doing a full review once I get it installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
The drone is not that bad. At what RPM did you hear the drone? The video shot at night highlights the drone around 2K RPM. This really isn't noticeable in the car. I have a system with sub at home and it must match the resonance frequency of items in the room because it creates a hell of a noise. But in the car, it is barely noticeable at low RPM, especially since it passes so fast (I was in auto mode with the DCT when I filmed that and holding the camera...if anything it just sounded real smooth, but not loud at all).

On the other hand at 3K RPM, the drone is noticeable because it is right at cruising speed. You can't hear it in the video but it is there. I was trying to highlight it when you notice the camera pointed at the tach, but for whatever reason, the camera doesn't capture it. As I mentioned before it was enough to make my wife annoyed. For me, I just relax my throttle foot a little and it goes away...of course there is the other option as well.....step on it and it will die down after 3200 RPM.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP AY/SS 6MT

I barely notice the drone myself. There is drone for sure but it's not at an RPM I usually cruise at. I only notice it when easing my way through a neighborhood in 1st gear. I have maybe 10,000 kilometers so far with the GT catback and I love it. It's very livable for me. I actually am even contemplating going GT2 or removing the stock resonators and see how that goes. With that being said, I am used to loud vehicles though and a dead silent cabin has never been my interest.
      02-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Oh man, I can't wait to get mine. Should be here in the first week of March. I will write up my review and do a few videos as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

congrats nick
i am sure ull love it man.
i listened to those clips....pretty f+ing mean.
      02-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up Another Meisterschaft GT Video

Uploaded another video...this time in HD with a better camera and microphone. Enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/9813342
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #15
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

I'm selling my gt2 if anyone is interested !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #16
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoE46 View Post
Uploaded another video...this time in HD with a better camera and microphone. Enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/9813342
That sounds soooooo sick!! I can't wait to install mine. Should be installed in a week or so, just in time for spring!

How do you feel after having driven it for a while with the new exhaust? Does the slight drone you spoke of bother you? Have you gotten used to it? Any after thought reviews you wish to share?

As you can tell, I'm pretty excited to install mine!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

You can find some Vids of this exhaust on Youtube... There mainly gt2 vids but hopefully you can find some gt vids. The GT2 is loud as hell...

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #18
NeoE46
Connoisseur of Velocity
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sounds soooooo sick!! I can't wait to install mine. Should be installed in a week or so, just in time for spring!

How do you feel after having driven it for a while with the new exhaust? Does the slight drone you spoke of bother you? Have you gotten used to it? Any after thought reviews you wish to share?

As you can tell, I'm pretty excited to install mine!
Well, I don't listen to music as much if that helps. The drone doesn't bother me, but I am aware that it is there. There is drone around 2K & 3K RPM, but the drone at 2K passes so fast it is barely noticeable. Around 3K, I am around 75-85 MPH...which is the unwritten speed limit in Houston. As I stated before, if you back off the pedal a little (just enough throttle to maintain slight acceleration), the drone dies away. If you have the music on, then you hardly notice it at all.

The only issue I am having (and I am not sure of the cause) is a squeak noise coming from the chassis. At first, I assumed it was the suspension, but I searched to see if anybody else was reporting the sound...nothing. I think it may be the exhaust connections or the hangars. I am going to get some of these Heat Shields to place on the SR connecting pipes to protect the CV joints, so I will inspect the install then. Other than that I am happy, no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #19
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sounds really good! Surprised that I like it.
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #20
Nuklball
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 6MT

Hey there. I saw your post here and wanted to know how you felt about the GT Racing exhaust. Did you leave the stocks cats in place...and how does it sound? Not quite as loud as the GT2 I understand, but quite nice when you give it a good thrashing. I want that slightly more euro sound versus the deeper bass sound. Of all the cat- back setups I think Meisterschaft sounds incredible. Appreciate any advice. Thanks..
Appreciate 0