BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

07-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #23
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
I have to agree on the street I really like the MDM. I use it all the time. the e46 m3 DSC was waaaaaay too intrusive. but I didnt like it fully off for the street. I like the 3 stage approach in the e92. thumbs up BMW.
We are saying the same thing. As I've said earlier, I don't use "Full" DSC on the steet as that is way to intrusive. I use MDM instead, which seems to be a great setup for street driving in dry weather.
      07-11-2008, 01:48 AM   #24
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
5. The issue has to do with what happens after you land on the bank and start climbing the hill. The track is wide there, so you naturally want to unwind, gradually get on the throttle, and track all the way out in the process. The track out cone was placed right before the top of the hill, which, according to my instructor, is the ideal line. So, as you get on the throttle gradually and track out, the car naturally starts slowly drifting to the side, but in a controllable fashion, meaning you can control the rate of the slide with the throttle. This is where I experience the problem as after a second or so of this MDM decides the car should not be drifting gradually to the side, and cuts power. Then the car is unsettled, and you are kind of stuck there.
Thanks for the details. I understand better from your description. Wish I had experience at that track. Seems like a very challenging section.

Maybe part of the problem is where the track out cone is. Just because an instructor put it there does not mean it is in the best place for Your car or Your driving. The best line is the line that gets you around the corner faster or by the car in front of you. Every car and every driver has its best line. The weight and handling of the M3 is quite different from a 1972 911. Each taking a quite different line. And a Lotus will rotate upon lift much easier than the 335i, and you have to rotate a F2000 to be quick. But this does not mean a 3600lb street sedan will always benefit from such driving techniques. I think you should try a variety of lines through that sections to see which one suits your car and you best. Many driving schools will place cones at the "safe" line, not the best or fastest line because they want their students to have a safe day and don't want a reputation of many off road excursions with track management.

To answer the question, I think sliding will be slower every time if you are in the same gear. Wait a bit longer before applying additional power at a place that will not elicit the wheel spin. And don't focus on overall lap times but take a passenger and time the corner in question only to see the actual results of your modifications.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #25
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
Thanks for the details. I understand better from your description. Wish I had experience at that track. Seems like a very challenging section.

Maybe part of the problem is where the track out cone is. Just because an instructor put it there does not mean it is in the best place for Your car or Your driving. The best line is the line that gets you around the corner faster or by the car in front of you. Every car and every driver has its best line. The weight and handling of the M3 is quite different from a 1972 911. Each taking a quite different line. And a Lotus will rotate upon lift much easier than the 335i, and you have to rotate a F2000 to be quick. But this does not mean a 3600lb street sedan will always benefit from such driving techniques. I think you should try a variety of lines through that sections to see which one suits your car and you best. Many driving schools will place cones at the "safe" line, not the best or fastest line because they want their students to have a safe day and don't want a reputation of many off road excursions with track management.

To answer the question, I think sliding will be slower every time if you are in the same gear. Wait a bit longer before applying additional power at a place that will not elicit the wheel spin. And don't focus on overall lap times but take a passenger and time the corner in question only to see the actual results of your modifications.
I don't specifically aim for the cone, but find myself ending up moving toward it anyway. Regardless, that indeed does not mean that's the best line up the hill. I'll try some different lines next time. NHMS is a tight technical track. It has two tricky turns. The one we've been talking about and the next one as you accelerate down the hill and enter the "carrousel", which is another sweeping uphil turn that allows you to hit two apexes without chaging the steering input--assuming you dialed in the right input at the bottom of the hill and managed the throttle accordingly. That's a faster turn, so one can use 3rd and it pulls just right up the hill, and MDM does not kick in.
      07-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #26
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

MDM is good on the track - MUCH better than the e46 basic traction control. I used it all day for my first event. once I learn the car a bit more I will turn it off completely.