BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Soon to be M4

Living With A Supercharger

Guys

Been thinking about getting a SC for my 2011 E92 for a while now and am close to just doing a deal. My major concern aside from the cost is whether or not this is just going to be a case of inviting a whole load of hassle and grief. My car is a daily driver and the fact its so reliable is exactly why i love it so much. Keen to understand from those of you with SC cars what your exoerience has been so far? Am i worrying needlessly?

Cheers
M
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16RCE View Post
Guys

Been thinking about getting a SC for my 2011 E92 for a while now and am close to just doing a deal. My major concern aside from the cost is whether or not this is just going to be a case of inviting a whole load of hassle and grief. My car is a daily driver and the fact its so reliable is exactly why i love it so much. Keen to understand from those of you with SC cars what your exoerience has been so far? Am i worrying needlessly?

Cheers
M
Yes

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Gay boy
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
Gay boy
Lol....

You are not allowed to have an opinion on this one Taz!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Do it and don't look back .. I just got a Gintani Stage 2 ... And I was thinkig the same way you are.
|Gintani Supercharged|Gintani X-Pipe|Stack Gauges|Volk TE37SL|BC Racing Coilovers|Nitto NT05R |BMW Performance Spoiler|BMW Performance Steering Wheel|BMW Performance Side Gills + Grilles|Mode Carbon V1 Endurance|IND Tri- Stitched Shift + Brake Boot - 566WHP, 371WTQ |
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Viper3812
Banned
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

As long as the install is done correctly there should be no worries. Only the 08 owners should worry about the rod bearings.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Would think application would have some bearing. Primarily track use and you may have issues. Street and DD duties should be of no concern.
      04-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Many of us that have SC had contemplated at some point. I sure did. Bottom line I am glad I did it. Car drives completely normal for daily use and when you want to step on it it is balls out fast about 5500RPM.

I just drove 900+ miles from Boston SC and I average 26mpg with the blower.

However I did not buy this car for gas mileage. Frankly it's something that I have never thought about.

Worthwhile investment for your personal satisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
nevin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AA

I had the same issue and concerns as you. I pulled the trigger and decided to do it on my last M3. Three days after getting my car back i noticed a leak from the engine bay. The meth line wasn't installed properly. Finally got it installed right and was told that I could still drive the car but to take it easy. I then sold the car a month or so later afraid of the worst. Glad I did...I told the buyer about the issue i had he didn't mind and bought the car. Few days later he calls me and tells me all kind of shit that was wrong with it. If I never sold the car there was a possibility I would have blown my engine or at the least done damage I would have never been able to get the warranty to cover. It was reputable company, I won't mention because I don't want to start a war and everyone telling me I'm full of shit. PM for more info if you care to know.

Anyhow, I'm once again contemplating it but obviously scared of warranty issues and any problems I wont catch before it's to late. As far as a DD it was perfectly fine (for me alteast). I'm hoping if I pull the trigger again my chances of getting another F-ed up supercharger is slim to none.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevin View Post
I had the same issue and concerns as you. I pulled the trigger and decided to do it on my last M3. Three days after getting my car back i noticed a leak from the engine bay. The meth line wasn't installed properly. Finally got it installed right and was told that I could still drive the car but to take it easy. I then sold the car a month or so later afraid of the worst. Glad I did...I told the buyer about the issue i had he didn't mind and bought the car. Few days later he calls me and tells me all kind of shit that was wrong with it. If I never sold the car there was a possibility I would have blown my engine or at the least done damage I would have never been able to get the warranty to cover. It was reputable company, I won't mention because I don't want to start a war and everyone telling me I'm full of shit. PM for more info if you care to know.

Anyhow, I'm once again contemplating it but obviously scared of warranty issues and any problems I wont catch before it's to late. As far as a DD it was perfectly fine (for me alteast). I'm hoping if I pull the trigger again my chances of getting another F-ed up supercharger is slim to none.
I take it if you do that you won't use the same company?
Also I think running meth didn't help.
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

This is why you should only allow true experts to work on your car. A leaky meth line Is a sign of poor worksmanship period. My installer pressure tested all my fluid lines before the car was released for daily abuse

Quote:

Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

You want reliability, keep stock internals, and stay N/A. If you have to mod.

People have been Putting FI systems on cars for years, overall when done right its decently reliable. Although i would still worry. If you are going to do FI you have to not care if the engine fails. and just have fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

cheers guys..... Seems like most have had positive experiences and are glad they went this route... My car is a daily driver and wont really see a track, I just want the extra power for street driving. I will probably never exploit it to its full potential but will be good knowing i have the power for those times when i do need it!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Well OP you do realize whenever something goes wrong they are never posted on forums due to them having to sign a nondisclosure agreement in return of a refund / build / etc right?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #16
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Well OP you do realize whenever something goes wrong they are never posted on forums due to them having to sign a nondisclosure agreement in return of a refund / build / etc right?
Good point.... Appreciate your point of view....
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
I had the same issue and concerns as you. I pulled the trigger and decided to do it on my last M3. Three days after getting my car back i noticed a leak from the engine bay. The meth line wasn't installed properly. Finally got it installed right and was told that I could still drive the car but to take it easy. I then sold the car a month or so later afraid of the worst. Glad I did...I told the buyer about the issue i had he didn't mind and bought the car. Few days later he calls me and tells me all kind of shit that was wrong with it.....I'm hoping if I pull the trigger again my chances of getting another F-ed up supercharger is slim to none.
Wait a sec....was the s/c the issue or the installer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Hmmmmmmmmm....can you specifically name companies that do this that you can substantiate with some sort of proof?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Guys

Cheers
M
I installed my ESS VT1-535 on my 08 M3 with 67000km 9months(12000km) ago with a friend of mind who's a mechanic at my local BMW dealership, I'm not a mechanic one bit but still I was very surprised how simple was the install! My car is my daily driver and my week-end beater(to not say my week-long beater ) and so far after A LOT of street races and passes on the drag strip, not a single issue! I even drive(drift) my car in the snow all winter long and it was'nt worst then when I was stock! I just changed the K&N filter that came with the kit because it was really dirty on the outside after 4 months of following cars on dirty winter roads(only 50$ for a new one, I thought it was easier then washing it) but on the inside the filter was like new so no problem there!

Overall, I could'nt be more happy with my purchase, the car has been performing flawlessly, even yesterday I was playing with a brand new M5 DCT on the highway, a $100k german muscle car and I was right beside him with my $40k M3(manual) so I can't ask for more except for pulling on him when I'll install my testpipes! Seriously, in the M3 price range I can't think of any other car that would be more fun to drive then this except for an M3 with VT2 or VT3!

At the end, there's is always a chance something might go wrong but if I look at the reliability sheet of ESS, the chances are pretty slim so to me it's all worth it! I say go for it, the power is addicting!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
cheers guys..... Seems like most have had positive experiences and are glad they went this route... My car is a daily driver and wont really see a track, I just want the extra power for street driving. I will probably never exploit it to its full potential but will be good knowing i have the power for those times when i do need it!
Simply go with a low boost, non-intercooled kit like the ESS VT1-550.

Plenty of power, simple to install.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
BuckRodgers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Never buy a kit that depends on water/meth for safety. If a vendor tells you it's needed that means it is being used to keep the motor safe. Buy a kit that can run safe on the pump gas you use, buy a kit with a solid reputation, have a good tech do the work and you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #21
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

Pfft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
"Never buy a kit that depends on water/meth for safety". If a vendor tells you it's needed that means it is being used to keep the motor safe. Buy a kit that can run safe on the pump gas you use, buy a kit with a solid reputation, have a good tech do the work and you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Quote:
Simply go with a low boost, non-intercooled kit like the ESS VT1-550.

Plenty of power, simple to install.
You would recommend a non-intercooled system for street use? Is it the lack of extra complexity?
Appreciate 0