BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #23
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Sorry, thought I linked it in the original post. I bought mine from Speedzone24-7.com since I have purchased from them before for other things like thermal wrap and catalytic converter shield. It's extra insurance that cost about $52. I have no data to back up that it's necessary or that it's not, I just figured it couldn't hurt.

http://speedzone24-7.com/clampon.htm

I'll take a picture when I get a chance... UUC uses the same thing on their exhaust.
      02-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #24
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Sorry, thought I linked it in the original post. I bought mine from Speedzone24-7.com since I have purchased from them before for other things like thermal wrap and catalytic converter shield. It's extra insurance that cost about $52. I have no data to back up that it's necessary or that it's not, I just figured it couldn't hurt.

I'll take a picture when I get a chance... UUC uses the same thing on their exhaust.
Thanks for the link! Something for a lot of people to consider.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 12:33 AM   #25
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

thanks badfish definitely going to pick one of these up as extra insurance

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 01:35 AM   #26
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Quote:

what size did you buy? i think im going to order me some also.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #27
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
what size did you buy? i think im going to order me some also.

Quote:
I bought 2 of these 1' Thermotec clamp on heatshields just to be on the safe side. I noticed that there was an aftermarket exhaust system being designed with the same exact clamp on heatshields.

02-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #28
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Sweet, my thoughts are the factory muffler is the heavy anchor it is to maintain the BMW typical 50% weight distribution.
Possible because the thing really feels over-engineered. My buddy was standing/walking on it while I was trying to pry the hangers off. I think some people are putting way too much emphasis on the "perfect" 50/50 weight distribution, and seeing it as an absolute measure. There are competing rotational inertia and acceleration effects, so it really is a matter of trade-offs. It'll all go back to perfect when I stick a roll bar in there though!
      02-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #29
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I bought 2 of these 1' Thermotec clamp on heatshields just to be on the safe side. I noticed that there was an aftermarket exhaust system being designed with the same exact clamp on heatshields.

I'd have to think about these to be convinced of their efficacy. There is no air gap in between the pipe and the "shield" material.
      02-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #30
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I'd have to think about these to be convinced of their efficacy. There is no air gap in between the pipe and the "shield" material.
Actually there is a gap. It's raining here so I'm lazy to go out to take pictures but these do not wrap around the pipe as tight as you would think.

The material works quite well, I use something very similar to shield the trunk in my NSX from the exhaust and it lowered the temperature of the trunk floor by at least 15 degrees.
      02-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #31
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually there is a gap. It's raining here so I'm lazy to go out to take pictures but these do not wrap around the pipe as tight as you would think.
It would be great if you could take a pic at some point when you have the time. Thanks.
      02-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #32
noxredna
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 M3, 1M, F10 M5

David, if you wanna let go of that X-pipe, you know who to look for =D haha

I'm in the market for an x-pipe. My remus is too soft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallycoolies View Post
Haha sorry Bill, didn't mean to do that but anywayz. I've thought about that too that having a x-pipe but I don't think it'll go as loud as w/Vorsteiner, after hearing urs. Additionally, I like that burnt TIPS Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #33
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Excellent find. Although not quite set on doing an exhaust system myseld I am getting closer and these would be a must have. BMW put these particular shields there for a good reason, to protect both the nearby components and rubber covers. These details are things aftermarket folks simply miss the boat on. This is a great, inexpensive bit of security that I would absolutely install should I do an exhaust. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #34
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Ok here are some pics of the heatshield installed.

02-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #35
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
I don't think you really need an air gap. It is there to reflect rediation; not conduction/convection. I don't think the stock shields have air gaps either.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #36
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
I bought 2 of these 1' Thermotec clamp on heatshields just to be on the safe side. I noticed that there was an aftermarket exhaust system being designed with the same exact clamp on heatshields. The advantage of these is that they are formable and will not rattle if they contact other parts, work up to 2000 degrees and are oil and grease-resistant.
Ceramic blankets as used in fireproofing are another possibility. 3M has a version ("Nextel Thermal Barriers") used as a heat shield in race cars.

http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/..._barriers.html

http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/...l_Barriers.pdf

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #37
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
I don't think you really need an air gap. It is there to reflect rediation; not conduction/convection. I don't think the stock shields have air gaps either.
I am pretty sure the stock shields have about an 1/2" air gap. I'll check tomorrow. Radiative heat transfer becomes significant at very high temperatures. I don't know that the exhaust system gets that hot. I'll need to check the radiative heat transfer coefficient derivations to see if that can be significant factor. However you look at it convection is a significant factor. I think that is why the stock system has the gap so that there is air circulation. Plus, if you wrap the reflective material around the pipe, how exactly is radiation out of the pipe supposed to take place? Radiation occurs between two surfaces, and if the material is wrapped it would be a closed loop as the shield would simply be facing the pipe and vice versa. That would only make sense if you were trying to protect the pipe from absorbing heat from the sorroundings by coating it with reflective material, which clearly is not what we are trying to do here.

Last edited by lucid; 02-16-2009 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #38
RedlineMotorworks
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6.2L F-150 Raptor

Beautiful writeup!

Thanks for the business and I'm glad you're enjoying the new exhaust system. The stock system is definitely an anchor compared to the titanium system.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #39
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineMotorworks View Post
Beautiful writeup!

Thanks for the business and I'm glad you're enjoying the new exhaust system. The stock system is definitely an anchor compared to the titanium system.
Thanks for the good service Andrew.
      02-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #40
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I am pretty sure the stock shields have about an 1/2" air gap. I'll check tomorrow. Radiative heat transfer becomes significant at very high temperatures. I don't know that the exhaust system gets that hot. I'll need to check the radiative heat transfer coefficient derivations to see if that can be significant factor. However you look at it convection is a significant factor. I think that is why the stock system has the gap so that there is air circulation. Plus, if you wrap the reflective material around the pipe, how exactly is radiation out of the pipe supposed to take place? Radiation occurs between two surfaces, and if the material is wrapped it would be a closed loop as the shield would simply be facing the pipe and vice versa. That would only make sense if you were trying to protect the pipe from absorbing heat from the sorroundings by coating it with reflective material, which clearly is not what we are trying to do here.
If it were wrapped around with no gaps then the pipe would get hotter and the heat would move to the cooler parts which are exposed. But there are gaps as you can see in the pics.
      02-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #41
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If it were wrapped around with no gaps then the pipe would get hotter and the heat would move to the cooler parts which are exposed.
Yes, that is what I am saying. Then you would be talking about a simple conduction + convection curcuit, and the question would become: how much thermal resistence can such a thin piece of material really have to cause a significant temperature drop across it. I don't know, maybe it has enough resistence to make a difference. Anyway, thanks for te pics, and I'll check the size of the gap on the stock system. When a gap is present, you have convection + conduction + convection. If the flow works out, you could have forced convection through the gap, which is kind of my thinking. And it is possible that the shield also can act as a reflective barrier for radiation if the gap is wide enough so that energy can be dispersed and if the temps are high enough.
      02-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #42
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

I used to wrap the headers in my Grand National with heat resistant wrap. You could almost touch the surface..... Even a thin wrap can do the job. I have seen it first hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #43
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
I used to wrap the headers in my Grand National with heat resistant wrap. You could almost touch the surface..... Even a thin wrap can do the job. I have seen it first hand.
You could almost touch the surface when exactly? After it has been driven at high rpm for a sustained period of time? If so, then some of these materials might indeed have high enough thermal resistence to act as a low-conduction shield.
      02-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #44
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that is what I am saying. Then you would be talking about a simple conduction + convection curcuit, and the question would become: how much thermal resistence can such a thin piece of material really have to cause a significant temperature drop across it. I don't know, maybe it has enough resistence to make a difference. Anyway, thanks for te pics, and I'll check the size of the gap on the stock system. When a gap is present, you have convection + conduction + convection. If the flow works out, you could have forced convection through the gap, which is kind of my thinking. And it is possible that the shield also can act as a reflective barrier for radiation if the gap is wide enough so that energy can be dispersed and if the temps are high enough.
I guess it makes sense to have a gap. Otherwise the shield would be at a temperature really close to the pipe which is just going to radiate onto the drive shaft anyway.

I think the main problem here is radiation, which is uninterrupted (moving or not) as long as there is a temperature difference. The shiny surface of the shield reflects the heat like a mirror reflects light.

Convection shouldn't be a big problem as I would think that the shield has a very high thermal conductivity to readily dissipate heat into air when the car moves. But radiation on the other hand will always exist.

Anyway I would think that adding a heat shield would be a good choice to aftermarket pipes.
Appreciate 0