BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

05-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

another joyride victim

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/5/2...talia-7714474/

Reading this type of story makes me angry. No wonder a F430 owner I know only hires detail/wash person to come and work on the car in his own garage/home.

Assuming the person who took out customer's car for a joyride without permission, this person deserves to be shot in front of his/her family.
      05-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

It just makes me angry...people have no respect for the property of others these days.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

these stories always make me wonder how much joy riding goes on every day
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
these stories always make me wonder how much joy riding goes on every day
Never had a friend that works at a dealership? I've driven a few Fezzas, Porsches and M cars that did not belong to me or my friends.

I'm not saying this isn't a situation where the owner shouldn't be hopping mad, but the car is still in production, isn't anything terribly rare and he can relatively painlessly be made whole. The recent story of the Gullwing being killed, or the F40 in Denver are both infinitely more painful because they involve much more difficult to replace machinery.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Never had a friend that works at a dealership? I've driven a few Fezzas, Porsches and M cars that did not belong to me or my friends.

I'm not saying this isn't a situation where the owner shouldn't be hopping mad, but the car is still in production, isn't anything terribly rare and he can relatively painlessly be made whole. The recent story of the Gullwing being killed, or the F40 in Denver are both infinitely more painful because they involve much more difficult to replace machinery.
You'd be fine if I joyrode your Veyron?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I heard the same thing happened to a Bentley a few days later. Stupid car wash punks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
i001947
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

After reading this story I will never trust anybody else with my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Being able to be replaced has nothing to do with it. Messing with other peoples property is BS regardless if it s a Ferrari or Civic. Its the lack of respect for other peoples property for a persons own selfish gain that's the problem. Get permission or earn the right to drive a car of that caliber, period.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

I agree. Come to down to respect. Joyriding is stupid, not to mention classless. I think it's as stupid as test driving cars you have no intention of buying or can't afford.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Its the downside of owning nice or fast cars and sometimes not having an option but to leave it to get serviced somewhere. I would always reset the peak psi on the boost gauge in my 3000gt before dropping it off and somehow when I pick it up it would be at the max psi again.
      06-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #11
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Another reason my tune comes off at dealer visits.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #12
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepittrill View Post
I agree. Come to down to respect. Joyriding is stupid, not to mention classless. I think it's as stupid as test driving cars you have no intention of buying or can't afford.
Hey now, what's wrong with that???
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
Sam@Alekshop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

That's not good !
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

I was just making sure the brakes are dry, sir....
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
LSPowered
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Quote:

None are more painful than the other. regardless of what kind of car it is, no one has the right to do this to someone else's ride. YOU included Mr Joyride.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Okay. I suppose I'm just not as attached to my cars as some of you. I drive my cars hard and track them too. Aside from a money shift, or sideswiping a string of valet cars, I don't really worry about what valets or maintenance guys do to my cars, especially if they're interesting. I have better things to worry about than someone else putting one more redline shift on my car (provided the oil's nice and warm).

One amusing story involved the Porsche dealer sending out many customers cars to have the engine driven hard after it was warmed up to help clear up the oil return lines in the old air cooled engines. Many drivers babied their 993's and one of the quickest solutions to rough idling 993's was a good, old fashioned Italian tune up. I would guess more than one of those owners would have scoffed at such "abuse" to their car too, if they'd been told directly about it. Not as much though as they probably would have been up in arms about early 2.5L Boxsters getting new engines during oil changes so Porsche didn't have to do an actual recall.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Okay. I suppose I'm just not as attached to my cars as some of you. I drive my cars hard and track them too. Aside from a money shift, or sideswiping a string of valet cars, I don't really worry about what valets or maintenance guys do to my cars, especially if they're interesting. I have better things to worry about than someone else putting one more redline shift on my car (provided the oil's nice and warm).

One amusing story involved the Porsche dealer sending out many customers cars to have the engine driven hard after it was warmed up to help clear up the oil return lines in the old air cooled engines. Many drivers babied their 993's and one of the quickest solutions to rough idling 993's was a good, old fashioned Italian tune up. I would guess more than one of those owners would have scoffed at such "abuse" to their car too, if they'd been told directly about it. Not as much though as they probably would have been up in arms about early 2.5L Boxsters getting new engines during oil changes so Porsche didn't have to do an actual recall.
Funny that you think they will warm your car up nice and well before taking it for a hard spin illegal joy ride... I think that's the concern for most of us in terms of the mechanical aside (leaving moral and principle out).

Dropped my car in for service on Thursday, and I really regret not noting the mileage. It's no Ferrari, but it's definitely not your run of the mill silver 328 or 528 either...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

That was kind of a joke (it should have had a smiley). But honestly, I tend to keep cars a long time, and if I put 140k miles on one, if 500 of those miles were less than kind, I guess I'm willing to take those odds. It's a car, it's mobile, you entrust it to other people (coincidentally I am driving a friends car at the moment as he needed my automatic dd after some surgery) and it will likely be driven in a way that you wouldn't approve of. I've always appalled at how poorly valets seem to be able to drive any of my manual cars, apparently practice makes perfect is not always true.

If someone wadded up my current car and they had insurance or other means to pay for it without needing to be dragged to court, I really wouldn't be that upset about it. If I owned a Gullwing or another classic, I'd be more careful about whose hands I put it in, but I'd certainly be a little more upset about it being damaged or totaled than I would be about something as relatively common as a 458 which could be replaced quite easily.
Appreciate 0