BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

08-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #45
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
1. Don't forget to pump the brakes in your garage after you change the pads.
This one gets me every time!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #46
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsal View Post
Definitely good advise, and I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would risk his health just to avoid getting the car cleaned... Windows down FTW!
On the track days where it rains, you never want to track with the windows down. You get yourself and everything inside soaked.

Most track day organizers will allow windows up on rain days and use the turn signals as point-by indicators.
      08-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #47
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
On the track days where it rains, you never want to track with the windows down. You get yourself and everything inside soaked.

Most track day organizers will allow windows up on rain days and use the turn signals as point-by indicators.
not true at any track i have been to. if there is a butt in the seat window needs to be down. i live in the PNW so see lots of rain as well. if the car cant handle getting wet it surely cant handle everything else that may happen.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #48
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
not true at any track i have been to. if there is a butt in the seat window needs to be down. i live in the PNW so see lots of rain as well. if the car cant handle getting wet it surely cant handle everything else that may happen.
From what I've seen, it depends. If it is a light drizzle, they'll ask for windows down. If it is coming down hard like in a storm, they will allow windows up. But then most people will just sit around in the paddock and wait for the rain to go away anyway.
      08-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #49
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

First I've ever heard of this, but then again, I'm new to US tracks... Never been allowed to roll with the windows up (nor would I). Never been to a heavy rain day at the track, so can't say from experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #50
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From what I've seen, it depends. If it is a light drizzle, they'll ask for windows down. If it is coming down hard like in a storm, they will allow windows up. But then most people will just sit around in the paddock and wait for the rain to go away anyway.
maybe thats how it works there but if its a downpour or not the windows have to be open. if its snowing they have to be down. have experienced this. most still go out here as driving in the rain is a far better learning environment than any dry day.

Quote:
First I've ever heard of this, but then again, I'm new to US tracks... Never been allowed to roll with the windows up (nor would I). Never been to a heavy rain day at the track, so can't say from experience.
we get them all the time.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #51
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
maybe thats how it works there but if its a downpour or not the windows have to be open. if its snowing they have to be down. have experienced this. most still go out here as driving in the rain is a far better learning environment than any dry day.
Yes, I try to make it out when it rains but as I mentioned, it depends how much rain it is. The times I've gone with windows up, it is fine. Lots of fun sliding around and only 1/4 of the regular track traffic as most people will sit out the downpour.

Personally, I would not drive in the rain if I couldn't have my windows up. I think most people at track days feel similarly as they're bring out their daily driver street cars and keeping their cars safe so they can drive to work is more important than pulling lap times. It's a track day, it isn't a race.
      08-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #52
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I try to make it out when it rains but as I mentioned, it depends how much rain it is. The times I've gone with windows up, it is fine. Lots of fun sliding around and only 1/4 of the regular track traffic as most people will sit out the downpour.

Personally, I would not drive in the rain if I couldn't have my windows up. I think most people at track days feel similarly as they're bring out their daily driver street cars and keeping their cars safe so they can drive to work is more important than pulling lap times. It's a track day, it isn't a race. When I want to go 10/10ths and compete, I head to autocross.
very true. cant win an hpde but you can lose one. standing water is the big concern there. havent seen anyone worry about getting their car interior wet guess we are used to rain a lot of the year.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #53
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:

Quote:
we get them all the time.
Well, I live in Boston now, so I'm expecting to have a couple as well
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #54
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
very true. cant win an hpde but you can lose one. standing water is the big concern there. havent seen anyone worry about getting their car interior wet guess we are used to rain a lot of the year.

I used to love going out in the rain in my Evo. Amazing how you can still accelerate at full speed in the wet when all you get is wheel spin in a FWD/RWD car. But cornering, still have to slow down a lot more than in the dry. Also, wet line with smoother straight lines and using more of the center of the track. It becomes a somewhat stressful exercise in throttle control when cornering and a drag race between corners..
      08-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #55
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I used to love going out in the rain in my Evo. Amazing how you can still accelerate at full speed in the wet when all you get is wheel spin in a FWD/RWD car. But cornering, still have to slow down a lot more than in the dry. Also, wet line with smoother straight lines and using more of the center of the track. It becomes a somewhat stressful exercise in throttle control when cornering and a drag race between corners..
true. i have found nt01s that still have some tread have a ton of grip in the wet as long as no standing water. it is almost as fast as a street tire in the dry.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #56
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I don't get it why you guys in the US have to drive with the windows down on a track day. That's absolutely ridiculous. There is no such rule in Europe and I think there will never be something like that. First of all with the windows down you have worse aerodynamics. I would absolutely hate it to spin and let all the dirt get into the car, apart from all the debris which will fly inside even if you don't spin. Another annoying thing will be all the noise from the wind. No, really that is absolute nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #57
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
I don't get it why you guys in the US have to drive with the windows down on a track day. That's absolutely ridiculous. There is no such rule in Europe and I think there will never be something like that. First of all with the windows down you have worse aerodynamics. I would absolutely hate it to spin and let all the dirt get into the car, apart from all the debris which will fly inside even if you don't spin. Another annoying thing will be all the noise from the wind. No, really that is absolute nonsense.
Because it's safer (for the many reasons stated above). Kind of like wearing a helmet, which afaik you don't need to do at certain tracks in Europe either. You are correct that you get debris, aero is worse, and it is noisy But it's certainly not "nonsense".
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #58
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Always double check on lugs. Torque and re:torque. I have made this novice mistake every once in a while. Carry a to do sheet with a list.
I would add to do this BEFORE you go on track. And then if you are going to check again, do it after the car has sat --- not immediately after coming in when things are hot.

Have a AAA membership.

Bring spare brake fluid, power steering fluid, and oil.

Bring your OEM brake pads as spares.

SLEEP (and hydrate) the night before!
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #59
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
Because it's safer (for the many reasons stated above). Kind of like wearing a helmet, which afaik you don't need to do at certain tracks in Europe either. You are correct that you get debris, aero is worse, and it is noisy But it's certainly not "nonsense".
OK, "nonsense" is maybe a too strong expression in this case, but still I would hate it if I have to do it. On track days here you usually have to wear a helmet, only during tourist rides at the Nürburgring you are allowed to drive without a helmet.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #60
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
OK, "nonsense" is maybe a too strong expression in this case, but still I would hate it if I have to do it. On track days here you usually have to wear a helmet, only during tourist rides at the Nürburgring you are allowed to drive without a helmet.
Outside the USA, they often allow people to drive on track with windows up.

Windows down is a safety regulation so they can easily pull people out of a car in case of emergency if the door gets stuck for any reason. Also, less chance of shattered glass everywhere if the window is down. The requirement for this is totally dependent on the track and track event operator. Almost always they will require this though.

At US autocross events, they allow people to drive with windows up. But that is at lower speeds and less chances of hitting walls and other cars.
      08-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #61
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
I would add to do this BEFORE you go on track. And then if you are going to check again, do it after the car has sat --- not immediately after coming in when things are hot.

Have a AAA membership.

Bring spare brake fluid, power steering fluid, and oil.

Bring your OEM brake pads as spares.

SLEEP (and hydrate) the night before!
I gotta stop tracking with 1 or 2 hours of sleep...
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #62
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

Quote:

I have never, ever seen that allowed at any track.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #63
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post
I have never, ever seen that allowed at any track.
I was a track day instructor and we ran this as a soft rule on rain days - weather and track official dependent. Of course this is my friend who reserved the track and most of the people we knew so it is more like a private track day test and tune.

We haven't ran a track day since 2009.
http://unlimitedlaps.com/
      08-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #64
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
i know after my epic fix 2 weeks ago on saturday couldnt sleep so spent the night playing poker before heading to the track sunday.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #65
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I think driving with your windows up is stupid. If its hot outside, you'll die or dehydrate. That's if you don't fog up your windows and crash first.

Or you can drive with your A/C on and overheat your car.

I drove with my windows up at a track in South Korea in the summer...it SUCKED! You were NOT allowed to put them down.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #66
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
I have a bad habit of any getting 3-4 hours of sleep before track events too since I'm so pumped.
Appreciate 0