BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
atx02m3
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Need help. Fixing Theft M3 with Cut Wires

Hi everyone,

So I picked up a 08 M3 from the auction that was a theft recovery. All the wires inside were cut.

I have another 08 M3 as a parts car, so I am taking all the connectors and parts out of that to make this one work.

The only difference is on the M3 I am restoring, it has HiFi speakers but is not a Logic 7 system. It has an audio only jack.

The M3 I am taking parts from is Logic 7 system, and has a audio/usb jack. Both have Nav.

I am having trouble finding the pin out for 3 wires that are spiraled together. They are all major white with Red, Blue, and Brown lines. I have no idea were to pin these and only did a guess.

I got everything working, just no sound to come out of the speakers and no AUX option available on the nav screen (prob because I don't know where the 3 white red/blue/brown wires go!).

I have a friend who has a junk yard and I found a radio plug with almost identical plugs as the one in the M3 I am fixing but still didn't have the 3 white red/blue/brown spiral wires.

So maybe I have everything good, but I may need to have it programmed? Since I am taking out all the components from the Logic 7 setup. My buddy has a shop that uses the AutoLogic computer and can do this. I just want to make sure I have it wired up correctly before towing it over.

Another thing that is throwing me off is behind the radio, there is the black, yellow, and clear wires that match the audio jack plug wires, but that audio plug plugs into the major white red/blue/brown wires. It is just throwing me off so much.

I took pictures, I may sound really confusing, just looking to see if I can get any help or pointers to some info to help me out.

Thanks for your time.
Attached Images

Last edited by atx02m3; 04-21-2013 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

If I may ask how much was the the M3 from the auction?

Also how much do they normally go around? Been thinking about a Porsche, and a friend told me their really cheap at the auction but sometimes it's a hit or miss in terms of what the actual true history of the car is like.
      04-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Get a wire diagram for the dealer. I think it's a dollar per page or wire up a new amp
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playground View Post

Also how much do they normally go around? Been thinking about a Porsche, and a friend told me their really cheap at the auction but sometimes it's a hit or miss in terms of what the actual true history of the car is like.
The auction car is not a problem. The spare parts car is harder to hide from the cops
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
atx02m3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playground View Post

I picked it up for about 15K. 2008 with only 32K miles. No accidents. It got salvaged for the theft since they stole all components and cut every damn wire.

The spare M3 I have is a 2008 with 56k miles. Bought it for about 15k also. Wrecked on the left side. Just needs a new front left suspension, wheel, fender, bumper, and light and it would have been good to go. But I stole all the components and some harness from it lol. Will be parting the car out once done with all this.

A lot of factors play into it. Where it was wrecked, miles, year etc. Also if someone is in need of it as much as you, it can go for more than expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Get a wire diagram for the dealer. I think it's a dollar per page or wire up a new amp
I used www.bmwtis.com, put the car VIN, and looked through the whole diagram of this car and can't find any diagram for the 3 white with red/blue/brown wires...

I have everything else hooked up according to the diagrams, not sure why I am not getting any sound. I am not sure if programming is required, thought someone may know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
The auction car is not a problem. The spare parts car is harder to hide from the cops
You can find badly wrecked cars that have a lot of good parts to sell or use from the auction. Friend bought a crashed up 2008 328i with nav for only 3k. Whole front was smashed up and all that was good was the inside, sides, and rear.

Last edited by atx02m3; 04-21-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx02m3 View Post
I picked it up for about 15K. 2008 with only 32K miles. No accidents. It got salvaged for the theft since they stole all components and cut every damn wire.

Not sure, haven't looked. A lot of factors play into it. Where it was wrecked, miles, year etc. Also if someone is in need of it as much as you, it can go for more than expected.
This is a kinda car I am looking for. Can salvage a lot of parts to be honest.
I wonder if they have any of these kinda auctions in Canada.
      04-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
atx02m3
Rep

So now it works. yay.

After 6 hours of Autologic doing it's programming, the sounds starting booming.

Now all I need is to figure out where the AUX 3 white red/blue/brown wires go so I can use my iphone.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

A 2008 with that kind of mileage, functional and clean title can be had for under $36000. Why did you go this route if I may ask? Is the value of the spare car going to offset the salvage title car to point it makes it a good investment?

I'm also curious because I saw a wrecked GTR for sub $20k, and one not as bad off for $29k.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
atx02m3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
A 2008 with that kind of mileage, functional and clean title can be had for under $36000. Why did you go this route if I may ask? Is the value of the spare car going to offset the salvage title car to point it makes it a good investment?

I'm also curious because I saw a wrecked GTR for sub $20k, and one not as bad off for $29k.
So I have 2 M3's, have about 32K total in them.

I use one to fix the other, I don't need to come out of pocket to buy any parts.

When I am done with one, I part out the other. Parting out the other I have full interior, engine, 6 speed tranny, rear differential, EDC suspension, wheels and tires, headlight, and many other misc parts. Should be able to get 17K when parting out.

So I am only spending about 15K to get a fully functional 08 M3 with about 30K miles. Less than half the cost. I say it's a good deal.

It sucks it's salvage, but it's never been wrecked so I have no worries. When it comes time to sell, I should be able to get close to my value or maybe loose a little. Much better than buying the car new for 70K to resale years later at half cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Id love to do this with from an M3 E9x donor to an E91...

Good luck to you!
      04-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx02m3 View Post
So I have 2 M3's, have about 32K total in them.

I use one to fix the other, I don't need to come out of pocket to buy any parts.

When I am done with one, I part out the other. Parting out the other I have full interior, engine, 6 speed tranny, rear differential, EDC suspension, wheels and tires, headlight, and many other misc parts. Should be able to get 17K when parting out.

So I am only spending about 15K to get a fully functional 08 M3 with about 30K miles. Less than half the cost. I say it's a good deal.

It sucks it's salvage, but it's never been wrecked so I have no worries. When it comes time to sell, I should be able to get close to my value or maybe loose a little. Much better than buying the car new for 70K to resale years later at half cost.

I see. This makes a lot of sense.
Appreciate 0