BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
So I took my jet black e92 to the dealer for a new battery. I told them not to wash it and it came back with hard water spots.

I couldn't get them off by hand so I went to the local detail supply shop and was sold a Griots Gen3 DA polisher. Meguiars ultimate compound and ulitmate polish. Three meguiars yellow pads 8207 and three black meguiars wax pads.

I was told to do six sections passes at speed 4 with the compound at 15lbs of arm pressure. I did that and the spots removed. However my paint looked cloudy in some spots.

I then changed pads and started to polish it with Meguiars Ultimate polish at speed 4 and no matter what I do, the polish leaves swirls marks!!!

Any suggestions before I throw gas on my car, set it on fire and dance in a circle?

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 04-24-2013 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
So I took my jet black e92 to the dealer for a new battery. I told them not to wash it and it came back with hard water spots.

I couldn't get them off by hand so I went to the local detail supply shop and was sold a Griots Gen3 DA polisher. Meguiars ultimate compound and ulitmate polish. Three meguiars yellow pads 8207 and three black meguiars wax pads.

I was told to do six sections passes at speed 4 with the compound at 15lbs of arm pressure. I did that and the spots removed. However my paint looked cloudy in some spots.

I then changed pads and started to polish it with Meguiars Ultimate polish at speed 4 and no matter what I do, the polish leaves swirls marks!!!

Any suggestions before I throw gas on my car, set it on fire and dance in a circle?
do you mean swirls are still leftover or that the polish creates the swirls?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
do you mean swirls are still leftover or that the polish creates the swirls?
The polish created swirls. Or I did somehow.
      04-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

I'm guessing dirty pads or dirty microfiber towels. I wash everything and try again.

Are the swirls over the entire area you polished or just a small section?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
I'm guessing dirty pads or dirty microfiber towels. I wash everything and try again.

Are the swirls over the entire area you polished or just a small section?
Everything was brand new? No, the ultimate compound worked great at removing the water spots. My paint looked like liquid glass. But in the sun, I could see hazy spots. Cloudy spots if you will. So stage 2 was the polish and thats when things got bad. I only have some swirls on the two sections I worked on.
      04-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
vasaline
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

jet black clear coat is really soft so you probably need to follow it up with a finishing polish and pad
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
toddcc1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

I didn't read anywhere that you clayed the vehicle prior to polishing, maybe you did and it's inferred. If you didn't, that can cause swirl marks. You can also use an alcohol/water mixture to clean any leftover polish off.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Everything was brand new? No, the ultimate compound worked great at removing the water spots. My paint looked like liquid glass. But in the sun, I could see hazy spots. Cloudy spots if you will. So stage 2 was the polish and thats when things got bad. I only have some swirls on the two sections I worked on.
Were the pads sealed? If not, they could have been dropped and picked up dirt somehow.

Did you clean up any dust from the UC? Some left over dust b4 final polishing could be the cause.

Oh and possibly the pad was dry or not primed enough

Last edited by sensi09; 04-27-2013 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Light cutting and polishing takes time to master. Knowing how much pressure and compound to use, when and which pad to utilize is a tricky process. Sometimes it's better to get the pros to do it.
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Nuke818
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Even thought the MC towels are new I still think you should wash them. This not only takes any dirt out that was present when they were package but also opens up the fibers so the towels become more absorbent.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep
Drives: X5D

This is why i'm afraid to touch my paint with anything other than soap and water...
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Update:

I tried the process again and got the same result. I then tried a yellow pad with scratch x and all swirls came out in my test area. I then waxed my car with the black pad on speed 3 and it looks mint.

So no more compound or polish for me. From now on, wash and wax only.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions.
      04-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Update:

I tried the process again and got the same result. I then tried a yellow pad with scratch x and all swirls came out in my test area. I then waxed my car with the black pad on speed 3 and it looks mint.

Remember to squeeze a solid clay session in between your wash and wax . Glad you got your paint sorted out. Swirl marks used to drive me nuts with my black sapphire ZHP.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
toddcc1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Update:

As an FYI, the first time I attempted to use compound and polishes, it was with Meg's. I swapped over to Menzerna's products and haven't had an issue since. Though, I'm sure Meg's are great products, my skill level was null and I had the same issue when I first attempted it.

The polishing portion is where you're able to generate that super glassy-glossy look. Hopefully you'll reattempt and get the desired results.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Update:

You have to have some experience using the tools to know what does what. Experiment to find the best combos that work for each kind of paint.

Jet Black is super soft, you can remove most things with a light polish and a good DA polisher. You can create swirls just by running a clean microfiber towel over the paint. I would definitely avoid compounds unless you are working with some seriously messed up paint.
      04-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Update:

Interesting results with the swirlx as it has cut level between ultimate compound and ultimate Polish.

Did you use the megs yellow pad with both the compound and polish?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09
Quote:
Update:

Interesting results with the swirlx as it has cut level between ultimate compound and ultimate Polish.

Did you use the megs yellow pad with both the compound and polish?
Yea I was using the meguiars yellow and pads with the compound and polish. Both new pads. It seems the yellow pad with swirl x and wax with the black pad worked the best
      05-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati Beastcat View Post
This is why i'm afraid to touch my paint with anything other than soap and water...

It's the soap, water and mit that causes most of the swirls.... just sayin'. Even if you are super careful and use 2-3 mits (top, bottom, wheel mit), and rinse the mits off in between w/water....you will still get swirls with dark colored cars. You will minimize them if you take precautions, but you won't eliminate them. That's what sucks about dark cars. But they look so gorgeous when polished correctly, right??!! :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
toddcc1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
It's the soap, water and mit that causes most of the swirls.... just sayin'. Even if you are super careful and use 2-3 mits (top, bottom, wheel mit), and rinse the mits off in between w/water....you will still get swirls with dark colored cars. You will minimize them if you take precautions, but you won't eliminate them. That's what sucks about dark cars. But they look so gorgeous when polished correctly, right??!! :-)
I have found that adding 2 caps of ONR to my wash bucket has really helped with this.

Adds a boost of lubrication..."that's what she said."
Appreciate 0