BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

07-07-2013, 01:46 AM   #23
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

i personally dislike the cayman. its not a bad car by any means. i think the front looks great, the rear sucks. the 911s rears look wider and more aggressive. plus the new tail lights on the 911 are perfect. pretty much for me its 911 or no Porsche. but being a typical owner of a car, you probs will not agree on anything negative with the car.

I am sure i would love the handling of a cayman. its a great car non the less for people who like them. The looks just don't do it for me, and i like the looks just as much as the performance side of a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Do you really expect him to agree his car is ugly after he just bought it?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #25
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

What a beauty. New cayman looks like a proper Porsche and not a poor mans 911.

I think you will like that it is mid engine as well. The drive dynamics are completely different from a front engine car. I wouldve went 6 spd though! I'm sure the pdk is great.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #26
rac390
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 , 2013 E92 M3

Beautiful car. The redesign was a big success for what I like in a car. I was considering one as well, but went for a 2013 M3. Enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #27
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Congrats! It is a great car, you will love it. Pretty Darn Kuick (PDK) will make you fall in love with it!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #28
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

I would have gone for the previous cayman R. That car will hold its value and is an absolute blast to drive but the new cayman design is beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #29
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Never driven one but the new ones look fantastic. I know HP isn't everything but it just is a bit hard to swallow the whole 325hp for what, 80k? I am sure it is plenty I just know that if it had like 400 it would just be incredible.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #30
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
Never driven one but the new ones look fantastic. I know HP isn't everything but it just is a bit hard to swallow the whole 325hp for what, 80k? I am sure it is plenty I just know that if it had like 400 it would just be incredible.
sort of agree, that's why I got a turbo (decision between cayman s, turbo and gt3, but cayman out bc of IMO slight lack of value)

however, if you are happy with the m3 power, it is very similar to the cayman.

the cayman may only have 325hp, but it weighs just under 3000 lbs
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #31
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

C5 z06 - 3100lbs and 405hp. That's what I'm driving now. Obviously not comparable in regards to interior/exterior or anything like that but more of a comment on how fun a 3100lb car with 400hp is
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #32
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Do you really expect him to agree his car is ugly after he just bought it?
its not that its ugly, its that the 911s are that much better looking. if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #33
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
its not that its ugly, its that the 911s are that much better looking. if that makes sense.
i will agree to a certain extent. if i buy a porsche part of me wont let me get a cayman just because i have always wanted a 911 but i really like the looks of the new cayman dare i say better than the 991. i still like the looks of 997 gt3 best.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #34
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Two different classes my friend. Two different aesthetic design.

But needless to say, the car handles like it's on rails. I would rather take this on the track over the 911.

Beautiful car OP.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #35
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Two different classes my friend. Two different aesthetic design.

But needless to say, the car handles like it's on rails. I would rather take this on the track over the 911.

Beautiful car OP.
I agree! i know it handles like a dream.

but personally i do not buy a car based on only performance. i need it to look good, sound better, and have good performance. I need a good balance. Thats why i love M3s. Great engine sounds, aggressive styling, handles with good power.

the cayman to be is lacking in looks from certain angles, engine noise cannot touch a S65. Personally i would rather have a RS5 over a cayman. or even a used 911. my area lacks a track, so i dont make track days. For me its going to be a daily driver.

not trying to rag on OP, but its a M3 forum. I am trying respectfully to talk about cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #36
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

but personally i do not buy a car based on only performance. i need it to look good, sound better, and have good performance. I need a good balance. Thats why i love M3s. Great engine sounds, aggressive styling, handles with good power.

the cayman to be is lacking in looks from certain angles, engine noise cannot touch a S65. Personally i would rather have a RS5 over a cayman. or even a used 911. my area lacks a track, so i dont make track days. For me its going to be a daily driver.

not trying to rag on OP, but its a M3 forum. I am trying respectfully to talk about cars.
I can understand where u are coming from. Like u, I don't have a track anywhere near, so I tend to have similar priorities as u when shopping for a car. Each time I get tempted by any Porsche, the idea always got canned each time I get to the sound part. I am too spoiled by the music from the S65 and I can never understand how people would move from a V8 M3 to a 911/Cayman (excl GT3s) and still enjoy the sound...I guess it's all subjective, but the S65 is making it very hard for me to move on...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #37
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

I know looks are subjective but damn I think this is a gorgeous car.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #38
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR / F06 M6

Garage List
Nice house! oh yea, the car looks nice too.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #39
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

You need to do yourself a favor and drive one before criticizing this car. IMO, it looks so much better IRL than in the pics. It has its own styling now, rather than a mini-911. It looks amazing, even next to a 991 IMO.

The cool thing about the Cayman is that it doesn't need to be driven like a maniac to be fun. It's very hard to describe. It's just so light on its feet that it's always entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I can understand where u are coming from. Like u, I don't have a track anywhere near, so I tend to have similar priorities as u when shopping for a car. Each time I get tempted by any Porsche, the idea always got canned each time I get to the sound part. I am too spoiled by the music from the S65 and I can never understand how people would move from a V8 M3 to a 911/Cayman (excl GT3s) and still enjoy the sound...I guess it's all subjective, but the S65 is making it very hard for me to move on...
Again, please drive one. I love the S65 noise as much as the next guy here (I've got a full catless Eisenmann Race). But the Porsche boxer engine makes a ridiculous sound, especially past 5k RPM's. Yes, it's THAT good (I drove a base Boxster and 991 C4S, not a GT3 or anything crazy like that).

Also, you don't need a track to enjoy the hell out of a Boxster/Cayman. Nor do you need to be going 100mph. Trust me, I was so skeptic about this car too, but that test drive changed my mind completely.

Having said that, I think it's way too much $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
I'd gladly have one of those in my garage. It really is a great car. The fact that for a split second considered a Cayman S over a 997.1 Turbo says everything IMO.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #40
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
That looks fantastic! Personally, if I didn't need to use a baby seat, I'd have gone for a Cayman S.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #41
Da Hapa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
This is just a short review as I didn’t have the time to really go into depth. I will definitely post my opinion after I put more miles on the car..

Here are some pics! They're from an iPhone so don't expect anything fancy..

(The gf drives the VW)

tl;dr
-got a Porsche
-love it
-its beautiful inside/out
-drives completely differently
-miss the M, love the new porsche
Beautiful car. Congrat's to you and wishes for many happy, safe miles.

FWIW, I'm a very hard core three pedal manual guy who thinks the PDK is an amazing transmission. And it's only gotten better in the last four years.

I spent some seat time in a Cayman S at the local dealer launch and was blow away by how good the current PDK is. Since my wife can't, or more accurately won't, drive stick I'm glad to say that the future still looks bright.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #42
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Great looking, but why so large a gap between the wheel and fenders? This car should have been engineered to sit lower in stock configuration.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #43
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
You need to do yourself a favor and drive one before criticizing this car. IMO, it looks so much better IRL than in the pics. It has its own styling now, rather than a mini-911. It looks amazing, even next to a 991 IMO.

The cool thing about the Cayman is that it doesn't need to be driven like a maniac to be fun. It's very hard to describe. It's just so light on its feet that it's always entertaining.

Again, please drive one. I love the S65 noise as much as the next guy here (I've got a full catless Eisenmann Race). But the Porsche boxer engine makes a ridiculous sound, especially past 5k RPM's. Yes, it's THAT good (I drove a base Boxster and 991 C4S, not a GT3 or anything crazy like that).

Also, you don't need a track to enjoy the hell out of a Boxster/Cayman. Nor do you need to be going 100mph. Trust me, I was so skeptic about this car too, but that test drive changed my mind completely.

Having said that, I think it's way too much $$$.

I'd gladly have one of those in my garage. It really is a great car. The fact that for a split second considered a Cayman S over a 997.1 Turbo says everything IMO.
If you think i haven't seen a cayman S in person you are mistaken. They do look a lot better in person, AND that picture you linked is from a viewing point i like.

again i just really LOVE the way a 911 sits. the body, wide/aggressive. I could see my sister calling a cayman a cute car. small and not to aggressive looking. the cayman looks good from certain angles. the picture the OP linked with the house in the background is the angle i hate.

Again i would never be interested in a cayman because i do not love the looks. I refuse to spend that kind of money for something i wouldn't LOVE. i know the performance is there, but not the looks.

Its most likely we see things different, my style for cars is different. i would take a 2013 Gt500 over a cayman, and thats a completely different car. just to make a point .
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #44
Dartanium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

test drove a boxter S recently, I think the new platform is simply amazing with power balance and suspension, at least it is very good in my eyes with its nimbleness, so with cayman being a coupe I'm sure it should be even better.
Appreciate 0