BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

02-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

Oil Level High

A week ago I bought the oil change kit from Tischer and had my oil changed. The kit comes with 9 1L bottles I believe.

I had a BMW tech change the oil for me and he drained out all the oil (removed both oil drain plugs), and initially filled up with only 7 bottles. We then let the car measure the oil and it asked for another quart, so we added the 8th bottle, at which time the oil read between the middle and the low point. He told me to top it off when the car indicates so.

Yesterday a little triangle with an exclamation point popped up as I was driving. When I checked it, the oil level was at the minimum mark, and it said to add 1 quart. So, I added the 9th bottle. (Maybe a rookie mistake to add the entire bottle, but that's what the car said to do).

Now, the engine oil is reading too high. I don't actually have any warning signs up of any nature, but when I go to the oil level screen (in the dash or navi screen), it says that engine oil level is too high.

I'm guessing if it's high, it's high by a very small amount. I did exactly what the vehicle info screen told me to do. I've read a lot on this topic from searching, but the answers seem inconclusive. I personally think it's probably not a big deal if I drive and let it burn the excess oil off. That's what the tech instructed me to do when I told him about this. Others suggest draining some oil out. I personally don't feel comfortable laying under the car when jacked up, which is why I'm hesitant to do that.

What's the general consensus, in view of the fact that I'm likely barely over the maximum mark?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

You can't be over by much if you know for certain you used 9L. The car holds 8.8L. If it bothers you, the oil filter housing holds a little oil so you could turkey baster it a few times.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

I would drive the car for a couple days before you drain the front sump, sometimes it takes a couple reset (you hold down the BC button on the stalk) for the level to normalize.

Next time it says add 1qt, you need to start with just 0.5 qt..and add gradually.
Appreciate 0