BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #67
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Why do we even have immigration laws if we arent allowed to enforce them?

You know what happens in Mexico if they catch an illegal costa rican, el salvadorian, Panamanian, Colombian, etc in their country? They deport them. And people from several central and south American countries see Mexico as mexicans see the united states. They travel and illegally cross the border into Mexico inorder to work and find a better life for themselves.

They have no mercy for people yet we have mercy for them? No thanks

Every group of immigrants has come here legally, and they have assimilated into the American culture after a generation or two. Why does the current flock of Mexican immigrants get a free pass?

/political rant

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #68
228iconvert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i x drive convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankus View Post
Quick question, got hit tonight buy a lady that was pregnant, uninsured, and Illegal in the States. In a 20 year old chevy pick up. For some reason i talked to her and walked away. Being English, living in America I know how hard it was for me to legally be here.. Hence my instinct to leave her and go about my way.
I digress, but my question is this. I have a 08 128i in Jet back. The bumper is scratched enough that i have to replace. It is however not bad enough that any of the frame is bent. In fact it all lines up perfect. where is the best place to buy a new OEM bumper? Barring in mind Im gonna pay out of pocket for this to save this women alot of hassle...
Dude are you stupid? You allowed a illegal to hit your BMW and now you are paying for it? First off you are killing the system by allowing this illegal to get away with breaking our laws, being uninsured and without legal documents here. Who cares if its hard to get into this country that gives the right for people to break our laws? Honestly I hope the illegal bent your frame maybe next time you will learn to do the right thing!

There is no way in hell I would allow an illegal to hit my car and then leave me to pay for his stupidity!!!
      07-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #69
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB135i View Post
Dude are you stupid? You allowed a illegal to hit your BMW and now you are paying for it? First off you are killing the system by allowing this illegal to get away with breaking our laws, being uninsured and without legal documents here. Who cares if its hard to get into this country that gives the right for people to break our laws? Honestly I hope the illegal bent your frame maybe next time you will learn to do the right thing!

There is no way in hell I would allow an illegal to hit my car and then leave me to pay for his stupidity!!!

I agree with you, but chances are you will be the one paying in the end regardless. I doubt the OP would have been able to recover any cash from the perp.

This happened to my coworker about a year ago. He called the cops, the driver was arrested. At the end of it all, he had to make a claim against his own insurance.

Only in America.
      07-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #70
228iconvert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i x drive convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJUNO78 View Post
I agree with you, but chances are you will be the one paying in the end regardless. I doubt the OP would have been able to recover any cash from the perp.

This happened to my coworker about a year ago. He called the cops, the driver was arrested. At the end of it all, he had to make a claim against his own insurance.

Only in America.
No you are right but at least you don't have to pay your insurance does. And the illegal gets what they deserve. So you pay and this idiot goes free or your insurance pays and this person gets locked up! I would take option 2!
      07-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #71
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:

How OP handles a situation involving himself and another party should be entirely his decision. Wishing ill upon him or his belongs is childish and immature. Do some academic research on immigration, specifically undocumented immigration, and you may (rightfully) discover a net positive in terms of economic utility rather than hiding your nationalist rhetoric behind the legality of an ineffective and outdated mechanism for immigration.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #72
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Should have made her clean your house for 6 months to repay you.
      07-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #73
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
No you are right but at least you don't have to pay your insurance does. And the illegal gets what they deserve. So you pay and this idiot goes free or your insurance pays and this person gets locked up! I would take option 2!

still got to pay your deductible, probably 500 or 1k
      07-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #74
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

so much hate and bashing

people forget their ancestors were pirates and outlaws, or poor europeans looking for a free piece of land, or screwing with natives to get an edge

OP is a good man, maybe didn't make the most LAWFUL move, but is still a good man.
      07-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #75
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Do some academic research on immigration, specifically undocumented immigration, and you may (rightfully) discover a net positive in terms of economic utility rather than hiding your nationalist rhetoric behind the legality of an ineffective and outdated mechanism for immigration.

The hospital bills this pregnant illegal immigrant will run up, coupled with the cost of educating her child (who will be a US citizen), the medicaid, and multiple other benefits the child will be entitled to... all makes up for the fact that she does a job no one else wants to do. Please.

This country is headed for disaster.
      07-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #76
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
so much hate and bashing

people forget their ancestors were pirates and outlaws, or poor europeans looking for a free piece of land, or screwing with natives to get an edge

OP is a good man, maybe didn't make the most LAWFUL move, but is still a good man.
I disagree with the consensus that is saying he did good across the entire board.
I also disagree with the blind hate.

As others have already said, you allowed her to stay on the streets, driving, with no insurance, and illegal in every sense of the word. What happens when she ACTUALLY hurts somebody? What happens when she hits and horribly maims a kid, but the family's uninsured coverage is only low or middle of the road?

It's ok that that family has to suffer? I'm not saying anything more than you should have at least let the insurance company in on this, I don't care whether or not she's deported, I care about the fact she's driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #77
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The hospital bills this pregnant illegal immigrant will run up, coupled with the cost of educating her child (who will be a US citizen), the medicaid, and multiple other benefits the child will be entitled to... all makes up for the fact that she does a job no one else wants to do. Please.

I agree with what you're saying,b ut this could be said about many, many of the legitimate US citizens out there currently, not just immigrants
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #78
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
so much hate and bashing

i don't hate on the OP. He is not the cause of the problem.

The uninsured illegal immigrant who smashed into his car, (and is about to run up a tremendous hospital bill that the taxpayers will cover once she gives birth is)

Oh, and by the way my ancestors came here in the early 1900's, and had to be sponsored and have a job when they came here. They didn't sneak in. They followed the rules, learned the language, and paid taxes.
      07-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #79
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I agree with what you're saying,b ut this could be said about many, many of the legitimate US citizens out there currently, not just immigrants

I agree, but I would rather support an American citizen who is down and out before helping an illegal. When this country is not in the red, maybe then we can think about helping people outside this country.

Also, don't confuse immigrant, with an illegal immigrant. I have no issues with immigrants.
      07-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #80
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I agree, but I would rather support an American citizen who is down and out before helping an illegal. When this country is not in the red, maybe then we can think about helping people outside this country.

Also, don't confuse immigrant, with an illegal immigrant. I have no issues with immigrants.
good correction, I should have put that in my quote.
your issue with the tax payer money being foolishly spent on the illegal immigrant is more of an issue with the broken system in general.

If the system was revised and fixed, the situation you stated virtually would be MUCH less problematic. Unfortunately we just continue to make it worse.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #81
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
good correction, I should have put that in my quote.
your issue with the tax payer money being foolishly spent on the illegal immigrant is more of an issue with the broken system in general.

If the system was revised and fixed, the situation you stated virtually would be MUCH less problematic. Unfortunately we just continue to make it worse.

I agree, you can't really blame the illegals, our liberal government enables this type of shenanigans.
      07-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #82
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
I am always concerned about someone changing their story and trying to sue. I always call the cops and get an accident report. I also note the license plates of cars that were at the scene. You never know when you might need a witness.
+1Billion.

I was sitting at a stop light and there was a semi-truck in front of my that had pulled forward too far and put it into reverse and backed right into my car. He admited fault, but it still looked like I ran into him. I was worried what he would say when the cop showed up, but he told the truth and the cop let him go without a ticket, just noting that he was at fault on the accident report so we wouldn't have any insurance trouble.
      07-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #83
iseegreen
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

An illegal immigrant with no insurance, no license, no registration t-boned me at an intersection ran a red light at 55+ with 4 kids in her car. My car went through a divider, rolled once, clipped another car, and ending upright. A metal sign that was in the divider tore through the rear passenger seats. If anyone was sitting there, they would have surely died.

She got off with a ticket for running a red light. Insurance couldn't claim anything because she had none.

Justice?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #84
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Empirical evidence states quite the contrary. In aggregation, illegal immigrants contribute more in dollars to GDP than they cost taxpayers. This argument reminds me a lot about minimum wage (which came up in another thread recently). What "sounds good" and what "makes sense" on the surface is not at all the case in reality. There are certainly costs of undocumented immigration, but this does not make it impossible for the benefits to outweigh them. I will post these findings next time I have some free time at my home desktop.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #85
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Wow op you have a big heart. Nice
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #86
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Empirical evidence states quite the contrary. In aggregation, illegal immigrants contribute more in dollars to GDP than they cost taxpayers. This argument reminds me a lot about minimum wage (which came up in another thread recently). What "sounds good" and what "makes sense" on the surface is not at all the case in reality. There are certainly costs of undocumented immigration, but this does not make it impossible for the benefits to outweigh them. I will post these findings next time I have some free time at my home desktop.

I don't care what the evidence states. I have read alot on the issue, and most, if not all of what I have read in support of undocumented workers is heavily biased. Those stats never mention the fact that an illegal's children who are born here become legal US citizens. They are entitled to social security, social security disability, food stamps, subsidized housing, free lunches, public education, medicaid, etc etc...

It's not just the illegal that is bleeding this country dry... it's their unborn children too.

I would tighten the borders, and change the law to forbid children of illegals born on US soil to be legal citizens. I would certainly not allow an illegal immigrant to enroll in any type of school, especially a public school. In NYC for instance, students are in trailers with space heaters because they ran out of seats in the classroom.

I understand if you eliminate the illegal workforce the price of goods go up. But without a doubt, taxes will go down. I lose about 35% percent of my paycheck to taxes...

If the guy in middle america can work for $10/hour and pay taxes, why does an illegal get a free ride?
      07-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #87
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Series View Post
Let me get this straight. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Some guy committed either a misdemeanor or a traffic violation or both, so you committed a felony (in my state anyways) in retaliation?

And you feel morally superior about it?

All I see is on guy who is an admitted felon (according to my state's laws), and one guy who isn't. It's pretty clear cut to me.
+1. Its also soo brilliant to post the guys name, state that it was specifically a visa card, and explained the nature of your purchase.

You know how easy it is to track this bag and put you in jail for this, him being legal or not.... Just sayin, your not the brightest person in the world obviously.

07-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #88
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't care what the evidence states.
This isn't a very smart way to go about forming opinions.

Quote:

It's not just the illegal that is bleeding this country dry... it's their unborn children too.
The research states the exact contrary, but you've dismissed this without seeing it.

Quote:
I would tighten the borders,
The most ineffective way of immigration control (the most effective being enforcement on the hiring/employment side)

Quote:
and change the law to forbid children of illegals born on US soil to be legal citizens. I would certainly not allow an illegal immigrant to enroll in any type of school, especially a public school.
Illegal immigration is FAR from the problem with compulsory public education.

Quote:
I understand if you eliminate the illegal workforce the price of goods go up. But without a doubt, taxes will go down.
Not at all supported. Taxpayers have a much higher burden on supporting legal, non-contributing citizens than they do on illegal ones. But again, you've naively dismissed any actual academic research I will be posting later.

Quote:
If the guy in middle america can work for $10/hour and pay taxes, why does an illegal get a free ride?
Again, they are not getting a free ride, they in fact contribute positively to economic activity. A free ride insinuates they only take and contribute nothing. This could not be further from the truth.
Appreciate 0