BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

10-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
AshDrivesMs
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Anyone use matte spray on their car?

Supposed to be a similiar finish to a vinyl wrap but with different texture. Also, supposed to be reversible. I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

try it and be our guinea pig.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Like plastidip your m3? just get a traditional wrap
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

me
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Ohh_5H1T
Captain
Rep
Drives: Backwards

I used SEM brand black trim paint on my roof & wheels... my buddy did his whole corvette in it... Works well if sprayed in dry weather conditions and its very weather resistant... wouldnt recommend u do your whole car in it though... its best for smaller parts IMO...
      10-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I wish people would stop doing this stuff to their cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Torture that M!!!

Decals applied AFTER the matte coat (for easy decal removal!)

I used a product called paint shield to protect the car for 8 days of racing in One Lap of America

Looks aweful when putting it on....

but a pressure washer takes it right off... (easier than peeling all day)

This stuff is much easier on your paint and comes right off with a little fingernail action...
Actually removing the film also pulled off all the direct and grime.... I didn't have to wash the car really.
In this picture, note the nasty rear - when the film came off it looked like it was just detailed.
Also note that the truck (spare one for mounting wing) is indeed plastidipped - thats because the spare trunk was white
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
AshDrivesMs
Private
Rep

Sevens, your car looks great.

Others, why the hesitation? Do you think it can damage the paint if left on too long?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae1031 View Post
Sevens, your car looks great.

Others, why the hesitation? Do you think it can damage the paint if left on too long?
Thanks!

plastidip may - it ends up rubber but the curing process may damage the clear coat. don't quote me on this stuff lol...

paint shield on the other hand should be ok.... read up more about it here
http://www.strippablecoating.com/Aut...king_film.aspx

I journaled it in this thread
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679223
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

How long did that stuff last, 4sevens? I have thought about using it to protect my car on track (and look cool).
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

it doesn't last long... the bond is probably water soluble... it lasted all 8 days and the final drive home was through heavy rain.. it started to self-peel. But it protected the paint for all 8 days on track
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
AshDrivesMs
Private
Rep

So the deal that I got offered is for plastidip. For literally a fraction of the cost of a vinyl wrap, I got a guy that will matte white my car and matte black the wheels with plastidip. I was hoping I could roll around in it for maybe a year or two.

Really no one has tried this longer than several days? And no one has any empirical evidence of something bad actually happening?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
So the deal that I got offered is for plastidip. For literally a fraction of the cost of a vinyl wrap, I got a guy that will matte white my car and matte black the wheels with plastidip. I was hoping I could roll around in it for maybe a year or two.

Really no one has tried this longer than several days? And no one has any empirical evidence of something bad actually happening?
There's a thread around here with a video of a guy plastidipping a whole M3. You should read that. I believe the thread was titled "plastidip your M3".
      10-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
Vince@SSCAmerica.com
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: A lot!

Exclamation Plastidip

Quote:

We have tried to use plastidip at the request of several of our customers. We have done emblems, wheels and roofs to varying degrees of success.

There are several problems that commonly occur with plastidip.
1) spraying the layers evenly for a smooth surface is very difficult.
2) plastidip will often bubble or peal when removing masking tape after application.
3) if plastidip is coated to thickly it will take on a leather like texture with random seams that form during drying.
4) coating the edges of the vehicle like wheel wells, fenders, trunk and hood are problematic and will most likely begin to peel quickly.

We would never recommend using plastidip on a large scale.

If you really want to go for a matted look that will last 2+ years, then a vehicle wrap is the most cost effective and durable option.
3M vinyl products are warrantied for 3 year and will typically last 5 years without major maintenance.

Check out this thread for a video on vinyl wraps

Last edited by Vince@SSCAmerica.com; 10-03-2012 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:04 AM   #15
TheUnscented
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

After years of silver cars, I now have a black E92 M3 and jsut acquired a black '12 Cayenne Turbo. That's a lot of black paint to maintain. My detailer is recommending XPEL PPF but I'm thinking of doing the whole car in clear PlastiDip. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 12:55 AM   #16
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnscented View Post
After years of silver cars, I now have a black E92 M3 and jsut acquired a black '12 Cayenne Turbo. That's a lot of black paint to maintain. My detailer is recommending XPEL PPF but I'm thinking of doing the whole car in clear PlastiDip. Thoughts?
If you thought black was hard to maintain. Good luck with dip. That stuff practically absorbs dirt.

It great if you don't mind a semi dirty car all the time.
The car will never be 100% clean.

Run your hand across a dipped car. You'll feel it has a grabby feel. It's like open pores. It's one reason you NEVER see a clean white dip. The back bumper always looks like it's burning oil from the exhaust lol

Do a ceramic coating.
Appreciate 0