BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
phile
Rep
Drives: Looking

Question So.. I'm contemplating some cars...

Still looking for a sweet car...
Welp. I test drove an m3, Cayman S, and a Mercedes SLK 55 AMG. All three were really nice in their own respect. Here are my assessments:

M3 pros:
Incredible engine sound
Fastest 0-60
Great handling
decent steering input
4-seats (which I don't really care about, but still)
BMW service package comes standard, oil changes, etc for free
Cheapest car of the three compared
M3 Cons:
Weighs 3700lbs
Body styling is nice but not awesome
I'm a smaller guy so the car feels really big.
Interior seemed "plasticy", but did have a nice layout

Cayman S pros:

Quick+light
Awesome handling
Excellent steering input
Body styling
decent interior
Great fit for me
Cayman S cons:
pathetic engine sound at low speeds (sounds like a 4-banger)
Expensive service
Most expensive car of the three compared

SLK 55 AMG Pros:
Quick
Great engine sound
Great handling
great steering input
decent interior
great fit for me
A TON of really neat technology incorporated throughout
Convertible w/ electric hardtop
SLK 55 AMG Cons:
Kinda girly styling- not decided?
expensive service
Kinda slow paddle shifting...i need some input on this

I am aware that these are three very different cars. I'd be interested in more cars in this price range, but I can't think of anything else. Any suggestions? Cars I have no interest in:
GT-R and Z06

The jury is still out on an Exige 240 S, but I imagine I wouldn't be able to live with the 1000 problems that come with a hand-built car, and the punishing ride if I ever wanted to take a day trip somewhere.

Thoughts? Anyone else drive the Cayman S and SLK 55 AMG?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
berb_uk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

I had to make the same decision but between the Cayman S and the M3 only. I thought that Cayman was really fun and handled well, but I thought the interior is a little dated and too basic. I also found the options terribly expensive! The M3, albeit a lot more expensive here than in the US (and more expensive than the Cayman S fully loaded) had everything and stands out as the best car in its class/type. It also has the V8 engine, faster but also more luxurious. The only downside of the M3 is that you don't get the Porsche badge which for some people, means a lot more than the car itself!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
whym3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

M3 is a sport sedan that does very well in the numbers game . Porsche cayman S and 911 are more focussed cars . Their size helps them be more nimble and light weight. Porsche gear boxes are rifle bolt like

M3 has more power, awesome handling and a good suspension to match the power

SLk55 is good but steering feel is vague compared to M3 and not even comparable to Cayman S. The massive torque is troublesome sometimes in putting the power to the ground

I would say M3 or Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

The Merc handles like a shopping trolley with a wheel missing for a start off. Yet you think it has better steering than the M? We must have driven different cars is all I can say.

As for the Cayman S interior, you think the M interior is plasticky? I test drove one before I ordered the M and I was appalled at the cheap materials used, the door handles stand out as crappest in my memory.

I thought the Porker engine was rattly too. May as well get an Exige S and be done with it if you got for a Cayman IMO.

Clearly most on here will say the M. TBH though judging from your post, I would go for the Exige.

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Cayman S and SLK are for 2 different drivers IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Drove the Cayman S and the M3 already (didnt drove the merc yet, but wont buy it ever... it´s a old-mans-car here in germany).

I d buy the M3 cause of its better performance, more space, and 2 extraseats.
Damn i will buy it

It is a very individual decision, you ve to judge this for your own.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
phile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
The Merc handles like a shopping trolley with a wheel missing for a start off. Yet you think it has better steering than the M? We must have driven different cars is all I can say.

As for the Cayman S interior, you think the M interior is plasticky? I test drove one before I ordered the M and I was appalled at the cheap materials used, the door handles stand out as crappest in my memory.

I thought the Porker engine was rattly too. May as well get an Exige S and be done with it if you got for a Cayman IMO.

Clearly most on here will say the M. TBH though judging from your post, I would go for the Exige.
First let me qualify my post with the fact that I own a 350z. In test driving new cars, I've found that my relatively inexpensive 350z (which I purchased in 2003) handles excellently with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s, and the steering response in my Z is also precise. I am not an expert by ANY stretch, so to be truthful, I'm kind of comparing these cars to my Z. The steering felt a little more crisp in the SLK. That's not to say it's better, and also, that's not to say that the actual handling is better.

I would love an Exige but it's beyond impractical in the sense that it's even a pain in the ass for people to get in and out of. If it were more reasonable from an ingress/egress standpoint with a decent interior, I'd own an Exige
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
phile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Drove the Cayman S and the M3 already (didnt drove the merc yet, but wont buy it ever... it´s a old-mans-car here in germany).

I d buy the M3 cause of its better performance, more space, and 2 extraseats.
Damn i will buy it

It is a very individual decision, you ve to judge this for your own.
I know but I really like to draw from the experiences of others.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
phile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
Cayman S and SLK are for 2 different drivers IMHO.
As I said in my post, all 3 cars are drastically different. I'm not really leaning toward the Mercedes now, and I'm also kind of miffed that I decided i wanted a new car recently. The new model years are due out soon =/
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile View Post
First let me qualify my post with the fact that I own a 350z. In test driving new cars, I've found that my relatively inexpensive 350z (which I purchased in 2003) handles excellently with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s, and the steering response in my Z is also precise. I am not an expert by ANY stretch, so to be truthful, I'm kind of comparing these cars to my Z. The steering felt a little more crisp in the SLK. That's not to say it's better, and also, that's not to say that the actual handling is better.

I would love an Exige but it's beyond impractical in the sense that it's even a pain in the ass for people to get in and out of. If it were more reasonable from an ingress/egress standpoint with a decent interior, I'd own an Exige
TBH I would prefer a 350Z to a Cayman S but then again I never liked them.

Whatever we say it's going to be biased, we went through similar buying decisions and bought M3s (most of us). I personally wouldnt touch the Merc or Cayman and think the M3 is much better than both. Hence I bought one.

Personally I would rather have a Z4M Coupe than either of them and an M3 than a Z4m Coupe. In fact thats the decision process I actually went through.

VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
phile
Rep

Quote:
TBH I would prefer a 350Z to a Cayman S but then again I never liked them.

Whatever we say it's going to be biased, we went through similar buying decisions and bought M3s (most of us). I personally wouldnt touch the Merc or Cayman and think the M3 is much better than both. Hence I bought one.

Personally I would rather have a Z4M Coupe than either of them and an M3 than a Z4m Coupe. In fact thats the decision process I actually went through.
I'll tell you what, if the M3 was about 400-500lbs lighter and more aggressively styled, I would have bought one yesterday. No question. Those are my only real gripes. The weight being the bigger gripe. The sound of the engine is intoxicating though. Why not put it in some trick looking 2 seater BMW?!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
BobbieBrighto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW M5

^ you mean like the v-8 in the z8? the v8 in the m5 sound a lot more aggressive like an american car. yeah, the m3 v-8 at high revs sounds awesome.
Quote:
I am aware that these are three very different cars. I'd be interested in more cars in this price range, but I can't think of anything else.
are you looking for cars with different purposes in the same price range?

what about the mb63, lexus is-f or m coupe?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
phile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbieBrighto View Post
^ you mean like the v-8 in the z8? the v8 in the m5 sound a lot more aggressive like an american car. yeah, the m3 v-8 at high revs sounds awesome.

are you looking for cars with different purposes in the same price range?

what about the mb63, lexus is-f or m coupe?
Yeah I'm looking for something fast and fun. I like the idea of the Cayman S but I can't stand the engine sound. The rest of the car is great. The IS-f is a 4-door. I'm looking for a coupe or a 2-seater. I think the Z4 M coupe is kinda ugly. And I have no idea what an mb63 is
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #14
BobbieBrighto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW M5

mercedes benz c63 (4 door c-class with 450hp, same class as m3 and isf)

m3 + cayman s = 911 (either 996 or 997, used or new; sounds great too)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #15
phile
Rep

AS far as steering goes, check out what this guy has to say about the steering. I feel the same way about the M3.

http://www.motortrend.com/multimedia...12_2008_bmw_m3
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #16
phile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbieBrighto View Post
mercedes benz c63 (4 door c-class with 450hp, same class as m3 and isf)

m3 + cayman s = 911 (either 996 or 997, used or new; sounds great too)
Ah, yeah not interested in a 4-door. 911s are nice, undoubtedly
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #17
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'll tell you what, if the M3 was about 400-500lbs lighter and more aggressively styled, I would have bought one yesterday. No question. Those are my only real gripes. The weight being the bigger gripe. The sound of the engine is intoxicating though. Why not put it in some trick looking 2 seater BMW?!
LOL, what exactly does the weight mean to you? The car isnt quick enough or corner well enough for your on road driving skills? The handling isnt up to your standards? I dont understand how an M3 just isnt up to the job? What job are you planning to use it for? Winning this season's F1?

If you intend driving harder and faster on the road than an M3 can handle then you shouldnt have a license. If you want a track car, buy 2 cars, one for track and one for road otherwise it's always a comprimise (i.e. the difference between an Exige and an M3). Quality Lotus 7 inspired kit cars are cheap as chips and much more fun on track with less power than any road car (mainly because if you bend it, it doesnt matter so you can push harder).

As for aggressive styling, if this isnt aggressive enough for you, I dont see how the Merc or Cayman are because neither have anything like the same aggressive look IMO. I mean, how BIG does the cock enhancing power bulge need to be?

Anyway, back to your question. Buy the Merc.

VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #18
Ramphaus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 Melbourne Red/Beige

Check out this thread that I started a couple of weeks ago after a back-to-back drive.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133708
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #19
phile
Rep

Quote:
LOL, what exactly does the weight mean to you? The car isnt quick enough or corner well enough for your on road driving skills? The handling isnt up to your standards? I dont understand how an M3 just isnt up to the job? What job are you planning to use it for? Winning this season's F1?

If you intend driving harder and faster on the road than an M3 can handle then you shouldnt have a license. If you want a track car, buy 2 cars, one for track and one for road otherwise it's always a comprimise (i.e. the difference between an Exige and an M3). Quality Lotus 7 inspired kit cars are cheap as chips and much more fun on track with less power than any road car (mainly because if you bend it, it doesnt matter so you can push harder).

As for aggressive styling, if this isnt aggressive enough for you, I dont see how the Merc or Cayman are because neither have anything like the same aggressive look IMO. I mean, how BIG does the cock enhancing power bulge need to be?

Anyway, back to your question. Buy the Merc.
It's not about cock enhancing power or anything like that. It's about the fact that I like light, nimble cars. That's why I was considering the Exige for so long. I just don't get how, in the light of all the technology nowadays, that they can't keep performance cars around 3k or less lbs. With the same engine you have a better power-to-weight ratio AND better gas mileage. And although at this point, I absolutely wouldn't get the SLK 55 AMG, the front looks the most aggressive out of the three I mentioned in my first post. Although, I can't find a pic of the car like the one I test drove. It had these cool fin things on the hood.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #20
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
What do you think of this?

"Yet the M3's talents run deeper than drag racing. As our test-driver says, "One of the fastest production cars we've tested through the slalom. Very easy to maintain control at the limit."

Form Edmunds http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #21
phile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraman View Post
Dude the SLK 55 is a girls car, the M3 is your only hope.
Yeah I agree with you. Although the front view looks very aggressive, it seems girly overall.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #22
phile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
What do you think of this?

"Yet the M3's talents run deeper than drag racing. As our test-driver says, "One of the fastest production cars we've tested through the slalom. Very easy to maintain control at the limit."

Form Edmunds http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
I'm not surprised, the M3 is an awesome car. Who knows, I might even get one. It's not light though, which is just something I like in a performance car.

Last edited by phile; 04-27-2008 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0