BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

08-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #1
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Removing seat backrest release covers?

Hey guys, I'm trying to remove my E92 seat backrest release covers but can't find a way how. They're the covers around the handle at the top of the front seats that recline them for passengers to get in the back. I've searched but haven't find any topics on them. RealOEM calls them 'Cover, release' item number 3 in the pic, thanks!
Attached Images

08-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

I just took mine off a few weeks ago. #3 literally just pulls off, nothing tricky about this one. No bolts, screws or hidden releases pins like some of the wiring harnesses. I don't think you can screw this one up. Once it pops off, you do have to pull the handle piece to the upwards position in order to slip the #3 cover piece off of the seat.
Appreciate 1
BigRussia152.00
      08-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
I just took mine off a few weeks ago. #3 literally just pulls off, nothing tricky about this one. No bolts, screws or hidden releases pins like some of the wiring harnesses. I don't think you can screw this one up. Once it pops off, you do have to pull the handle piece to the upwards position in order to slip the #3 cover piece off of the seat.
Ok awesome glad to head that, thank you so much! I wasn't sure if there was a hidden clip in the middle and didnt want to break the CF ones I'm taking off. So did you just get your fingers under the edges and lift straight up? Or used a pry tool or screwdrivers to get under? Thanks again!
      08-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Place your hand on the handle as if you were going to fold the seat forward and then move down two inches to the edge of the trim. From there place your hand under the edge of the trim and pull away from the seat and upwards at the same time. This will release one side of the trim, then simply slide the trim back towards the seat and the little tabs on the opposite side will release. That's it.

Appreciate 2
      08-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
Place your hand on the handle as if you were going to fold the seat forward and then move down two inches to the edge of the trim. From there place your hand under the edge of the trim and pull away from the seat and upwards at the same time. This will release one side of the trim, then simply slide the trim back towards the seat and the little tabs on the opposite side will release. That's it.

Perfect! I was able to pull and replaced both covers in less than 10 mins thanks to your instructions and image. Very helpful and many thanks again!