BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
M-Tuned
JOY IS BMW.
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW/FR E92 M3 & 2018 X5

Bumper authenticity?

I'm gonna have a brand new OEM bumper to be replaced. I was wondering if there's any way to identify the authenticity of the bumper? like is there a part # somewhere or something? Please help. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I highly doubt that anyone makes a urethane replica of the stock bumper. There is a HUGE upfront investment in making urethane bumpers so an aftermarket company would likely not be able to make one more cheaply than BMW. So basically this is not something that you have to worry about.

That said, there should be a BMW sticker with a part #.
      11-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Most Chinese brands are offering the M3 conversions for 335i models.

Not aware of any 1:1 replica M3 bumpers, you should be ok as long as paperwork is included.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Is a BMW dealer body shop doing the repair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
M-Tuned
JOY IS BMW.
Rep

Thanks for the reply guys. Ok, I guess I'll make things a little more clearly. I was in an accident that someone rear ended me. On the estimate report they have listed the rear bumper as reconditioned bumper and I was told by the body shop that it's an aftermarket parts (not OEM) but to my understanding it's a reconstructed part which is still OEM. Anyways long story short, they were able to get an OEM one now. However, I am not able to see the actual bumper until it's painted and installed, also I doubt they could provide me any paperwork to prove its authenticity. It's a solid shop but I just want to identify it myself for a peace of mind. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Reconditioned means OEM that has been fixed. Aftermarket is just that; a reproduction factory style bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
M-Tuned
JOY IS BMW.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Reconditioned means OEM that has been fixed. Aftermarket is just that; a reproduction factory style bumper.
Yeah, that's what I thought and said. Thanks for confirming.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Tuned View Post
However, I am not able to see the actual bumper until it's painted and installed, also I doubt they could provide me any paperwork to prove its authenticity. It's a solid shop but I just want to identify it myself for a peace of mind. Thanks again.
Um...this tells me they are going ahead and using a reconditioned bumper. On the otherhand, if you can't make it down there, have them snap a photo verifying that it is an authentic, new bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
M-Tuned
JOY IS BMW.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
Um...this tells me they are going ahead and using a reconditioned bumper. On the otherhand, if you can't make it down there, have them snap a photo verifying that it is an authentic, new bumper.
The thing is I don't wanna make a request for a verification, cause that might make me sounds like I am accusing them.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

if they don't want to let you see the bumper before they put it on, I think you have some grounds for accusation. Seriously, if you're paying them, they should gladly do something like this unless they don't give a shit about customer service. If the later is the case, look elsewhere as when they inevitably screw something up, they're probably not going to be particlularly pleasant to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
M-Tuned
JOY IS BMW.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
if they don't want to let you see the bumper before they put it on, I think you have some grounds for accusation. Seriously, if you're paying them, they should gladly do something like this unless they don't give a shit about customer service. If the later is the case, look elsewhere as when they inevitably screw something up, they're probably not going to be particlularly pleasant to deal with.
Thanks for your input but you gotta read my posts. I didn't say they won't let me to see the bumper beforehand.. I just don't want to make a such request as I said (pls read my 4th post again). Again, I am not paying them out of my own pocket and they are the one who is able to request a brand new OEM one for me instead of a reconditioned one (pls read my 2nd post again). So it's like they did me a favor.

Anyways, my question was how do I verify its authenticity without requesting a proof from the shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

fair enough. I guess I was mislead by this statement: "However, I am not able to see the actual bumper until it's painted and installed, also I doubt they could provide me any paperwork to prove its authenticity."
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Tuned View Post
Thanks for your input but you gotta read my posts. I didn't say they won't let me to see the bumper beforehand.. I just don't want to make a such request as I said (pls read my 4th post again). Again, I am not paying them out of my own pocket and they are the one who is able to request a brand new OEM one for me instead of a reconditioned one (pls read my 2nd post again). So it's like they did me a favor.

Anyways, my question was how do I verify its authenticity without requesting a proof from the shop.
As long as it is plastic and not fiberglass, you are fine. There probably isn't an exact replica of the OEM M3 rear and if there was, it would be fiberglass.

If you want to confirm that it is brand new and not reconditioned, that will be harder.
      11-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
vm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Most (all?) BMW plastic parts have an identification that usually shows a little roundel beside a mark with the date of manufacturing which is usually a circle with the months and the manufacturing month highlighted. This manufacturing date will let you know if the part is new or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm View Post
Most (all?) BMW plastic parts have an identification that usually shows a little roundel beside a mark with the date of manufacturing which is usually a circle with the months and the manufacturing month highlighted. This manufacturing date will let you know if the part is new/reconditioned or not.
^
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

if it's a recon bumper most likely it's from Keystone and will have their ID on it and most times look like shit.

Your were hit, so you are a claimant (3rd party) to the other driver's insurance. YOU DONT ACCEPT A RECON BUMPER!! only your insurance company can do that, you are a victim to this accident (I presume not at fault) and they're obligated to put an OEM cover on the car (although not surprised w/ a recon). They have to make the car pre-loss condition which I presume was an OEM bumper.
Appreciate 0