BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #45
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Aside from replicas on a consumer basis - what do people think of it from a company basis?

Do people think it is legal for companies to recast other companies CF parts and sell them as their own products? By doing so, they cut out design and r&d costs, (often other corners are cut as well) thus can offer them cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #46
tbone28
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
United_States
Rep
Drives: ^^^^^

Hyundai does quite well selling replicas
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #47
Sinful
Banned
Rep
Drives: Its black and has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone28 View Post
The new M3 is a replica of a Hyundai isn't it? At least I thought it was the way it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #48
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulM3 View Post
The new M3 is a replica of a Hyundai isn't it? At least I thought it was the way it sounds.
Man, you guys are ruthless!

Stop insulting Hyundai like that...
(the Genesis sedan has a 5.0 liter V8)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #49
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
careful there...thems are fightin' words
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #50
Sinful
Banned
Rep

I agree with the OP a bit, simply because replicas fit like CRAP. But wait, now that I think about it , some of the really expensive "authentic"carbon fiber pieces fit like CRAP too. I guess I would rather pay less for crap than more for crap.

Never mind. Just thinking out loud. Carry on...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #51
Inf4life
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

I don't know why the OP doesn't just call them out. He posted on a JB Speed post about them selling AC Schnitzer pedal sets that were replicas but had the ACS logo all over them.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #52
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog
Quote:
Man, you guys are ruthless!

Stop insulting Hyundai like that...
(the Genesis sedan has a 5.0 liter V8)
Exactly 5.0 v8 is a rip off from Ford Mustang and the Beastie Boys. Kidding aside point taken on better sound from Genesis.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #53
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieP View Post
OK, because you don't see the vendors selling fake parts in the classified section right? You need links or maybe you can click your mouse 2 more times and see for yourself.

EVERYONE on this forum knows the vendors that sell bootleg parts. They are quick to post replies and send PM's when they think they have a sale, but they seem to be running from this thread like the plague.
I will assume nothing. Yes, by all means, link us up to said fakes if nothing more than a gratuitous PSA to forum members. Do not expect others to engage in research to validate your claim. Is that fair enough?
      10-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #54
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
But an $800 CF lip that cracks at the tiniest impact is a cheaply made, overpriced part anyways. I spent a ton on my OEM M3 GTS front splitter and it survives everything because it was designed for it. My $2k challenge front splitter lasted about a month and 2 track days. Live and learn.
I agree with you on this, no one makes better parts than OEM. They will last longer and normally are a breeze to install. Thats why im so happy bmw has a long performance parts catalog for almost all models.
      10-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #55
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

this thread makes me SMH

you know the risks of buying replicas, so by doing so, you accept it. If vendors want to sell replicas and it is blatantly described, whats there to fuss about. Who cares?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #56
Sinful
Banned
Rep

SMH
Shake my head ?
Like when your done peeing? What's the limit 3 times ?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #57
Wilsel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Currently seeking

Quote:
SMH
Shake my head ?
Like when your done peeing? What's the limit 3 times ?
Anymore than 3 and you're playing with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #58
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Pretty sure OP is upset about the copyright violations (or equivalent) of these knockoffs and how the vendors on the forum (thus supported by the forum) sell them. Let the companies go after them then, not sure why OP is. Maybe he invented something that was knocked off and he got screwed out of profit.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #59
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
Name:  A.png
Views: 214
Size:  574.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #60
FrankieP
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/BLK

ok, I'm back. Sorry for the brief delay, life got in the way...

So a lot of questions have been raised, still no vendors chiming in.

Here are some answers:

I did not get screwed over directly by replica parts, i would never purchase them. (we all get screwed over when people make replicas because it kills the markets of the innovating companies and raises the prices for the legitimate goods)

I am not a vendor. But I have been on the importer/manufacture side of the business for many years. I have seen the toll replicas have made on the legit companies and consumers. Many people think that replica quality is all that there is out there. They have a bad experience with it, and shy away from the aftermarket and tuning. How can a vendor selling a fake product with the original brands logo on it not be immoral? It's bad enough they copying the design, but the companies logo...

I am far from a troll. I own an E92 M3 for 5 years now and have worked on hundreds of european makes. I provide feel back when I can, based on my car and my experiences.

It is understood that everyone has a budget. Some automotive and tuning items are expensive. A BMW is not an entry level car. An M3, is the top model of it's chassis. It's already enhanced. Why would you want to cheapen it by adding or replacing original parts for replica parts?

I started this thread to show the perceptions and opinions on this topic, and of course to provide my own opinion to the community. I have always been outspoken about my dislike for replica parts and the damage they do to the aftermarket industry. We are on page 3 and we have still not gotten the any opinions from the vendors, and I do not expect them to reply.

This is a subject that no one wants to discuss. It will never stop, like the drug trade and other illegal money making industries. My hope is by discussing it we can inform others about the pitfalls of these subpar products.

Not sure why people are mad at me for this thread (unless they are a replica selling vendor ), but everyone is entitled to their opinion. So I'm not mad
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #61
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Well I say props to you OP for returning and presenting a good counter argument.

But you do realize that you are never going to be able to snuff out the replica market (in any industry). I mean what would China do if that were to happen?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #62
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieP View Post
ok, I'm back. Sorry for the brief delay, life got in the way...

So a lot of questions have been raised, still no vendors chiming in.

Here are some answers:

I did not get screwed over directly by replica parts, i would never purchase them. (we all get screwed over when people make replicas because it kills the markets of the innovating companies and raises the prices for the legitimate goods)

I am not a vendor. But I have been on the importer/manufacture side of the business for many years. I have seen the toll replicas have made on the legit companies and consumers. Many people think that replica quality is all that there is out there. They have a bad experience with it, and shy away from the aftermarket and tuning. How can a vendor selling a fake product with the original brands logo on it not be immoral? It's bad enough they copying the design, but the companies logo...

I am far from a troll. I own an E92 M3 for 5 years now and have worked on hundreds of european makes. I provide feel back when I can, based on my car and my experiences.

It is understood that everyone has a budget. Some automotive and tuning items are expensive. A BMW is not an entry level car. An M3, is the top model of it's chassis. It's already enhanced. Why would you want to cheapen it by adding or replacing original parts for replica parts?

I started this thread to show the perceptions and opinions on this topic, and of course to provide my own opinion to the community. I have always been outspoken about my dislike for replica parts and the damage they do to the aftermarket industry. We are on page 3 and we have still not gotten the any opinions from the vendors, and I do not expect them to reply.

This is a subject that no one wants to discuss. It will never stop, like the drug trade and other illegal money making industries. My hope is by discussing it we can inform others about the pitfalls of these subpar products.

Not sure why people are mad at me for this thread (unless they are a replica selling vendor ), but everyone is entitled to their opinion. So I'm not mad
All good points. Did i meet you at Bullrun a few years ago? someone said you worked at CEC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
Well I say props to you OP for returning and presenting a good counter argument.

But you do realize that you are never going to be able to snuff out the replica market (in any industry). I mean what would China do if that were to happen?
I dont think anyone expects this to snuff out the replica market but it does bring up a legal/moral issue even at the consumer level.

Why is it recognized as illegal to download music or buy pirated dvd's on the street corner but it is ok and accepted to buy and sell replica car parts? even as advertised as replicas, it is still as blatant of an infringement to sell a replica part as it is to rip off anything else.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #63
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Haha don't get banned talking bad about the vendors man

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #64
Sinful
Banned
Rep

I have honestly never seen replica parts using logos and acting like the original. I have seen replicas that look the same as the original but the vendors sell it without mentioning a brand or call it a specific "style" name but none I have seen actually are putting fake logos etc.

What kind of products are we talking about in particular? Carbon pieces? Suspension? Superchargers? Exhausts?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #65
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone28 View Post
      10-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #66
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

i used to get upset when i saw ROTAS on the street and at the track as i have had multiple sets of TE37's...

as a matter of fact i was the GUY making replica KID ROBOTS and the was attacked by the member who originally was making and selling them... OP you should start going after anyone who puts the M OR M3 LOGO ON PRODUCTS and sells it.

my point is there will always be people who cant justify or plain out just cant afford to buy AUTHENTIC products.. and in some cases we have seen REPLICAS that are just as nice as the ORIGINALS.. in the end REPLICAS do hurt everyone as they hurt the sales of the companies attempting to sell their ORIGINALS which then forces the company to stop producing it which then affects the consumer as the product is no longer avail we have seen this with VORSTEINER...

BUT THIS IS THE WAY OF THE WORLD AND ALWAYS WILL BE
Attached Images