BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #309
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis_m3 View Post
Mod, please close this thread; this has turned into an "I hate BMW for making too much money... I wished they made track-ready rockets from now on, even though I hardly ever track the damn thing anyways", or "The M Division is letting me down lately, I may have to move on to a Porsche".

To all; no, I am by no means a pro driver or constantly tracking my car, but I LOVE the fact that my M3 is a great daily driver, family car, and I whenever I choose to... I can take it to a track and just enjoy what this beautiful machine is best at.
who are you to ask a Mod to close the thread?

you don't like the thread, it's this simple: DON'T CLICK ON IT!

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #310
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

People who think BMW M has strayed from its roots have no idea what those roots are.
      07-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #311
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
People who think BMW M has strayed from its roots have no idea what those roots are.
CLEARLY!

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #312
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorradi87 View Post
This is the email I just wrote the the Jalopnik article's author:

Hi Bill -

I had to write you after reading your article on Jalopnik. I have respected BMW my whole life and have always revered their cars and engineering, but as of the last year and a half to two years I've been increasingly concerned with the direction they're taking. While the M models are certainly lacking, with huge increases in weight and being over filled with adjustable everything, other models in the lineup have the same problems.

Take the F10 5 series: I purchased a new e60 550i M Sport back in 2009 and have loved it ever since. While I can understand the new trend to turbocharge, I love the NA engine and the fact that the suspension is static. I feel like it's one of the last high-end BMW's that's fairly simple. In 2010 I was invited to a driving event at Weatherford BMW in Berkeley, California. While they had other models there, I really just wanted to drive the new 550i. As I drove to the dealership I was worried that, after driving the new 550, I would get back in mine and think, "damn, the new one is so much better", however, the complete opposite happened. When I got back in my car, I had a huge grin as I got on the on-ramp to I-80. By comparison, the new 550 felt heavier (which it is, by about 400 lbs.) and more isolated from the road. I could barely hear the engine. Everything just felt watered-down, like it was meant for a 70 year old CEO, not someone who admires the sport in sport sedan. At 25 years old, I have zero interest in driving an 'old man car'. My car felt more agile, had more seering feel (is the fuel savings that much better with electric assist? Not at the expense of steering feel), and I could actually hear the engine. While I was happy that the drive reinforced the love I have for my 550, it made me sad to think of that's happening to BMW. I test-drive a car that is brand new and was just released months earlier, and by comparison with my car, while it was refreshed in 2008, was originally released in 2003 and has the more satisfying driving experience of the two... how is that progress?

It's common knowledge that the 3 series is the baby of the lineup with the majority of sales, and they clearly didn't want to tinker with it too much by keeping the weight the same. Even then, all the adjustable this and that and all the technology they employ to make the car drive 'better' actually achieves the opposite as it further isolates the driver from the road. It's as if BMW is too worried that standard suspension alone cannot produce satisfying driving results, even though it did for decades.

Although I've always been a Bimmerphile, I can't follow BMW blindly into whatever unfortunate business decisions it chooses to make. The recent Car and Driver comparison test between the new M5, e63 AMG, and S6, in which the M5 came last, was really an eye opener (http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test). If they want to water down their regular models to increase sales, I guess there's nothing to be done. But to decrease the 'driver's car' quality that used to be the hallmark of the M models is truly disappointing.

Thanks again for the courage to say what you did.
LOL

I had the same experience as you. When I test drove the F10 550i it felt like I was driving a Lexus. Unfortunately, I parted ways with my E60 550i and moved into the 1M over the M3. I love the S65, but the E9X is too porky. I'm a little disappointed that the M division wasn't able to achieve significant weight savings on the 1M, but it's the closest thing to what M used to stand for.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #313
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
SO TRUE.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #314
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Thanks for the tip - hope it works for me to join you all! Looks like the perfect way to break my M in at the track. I'm guessing this will be a vastly different experience from the time I took my old Mazda 3s hatch (not Speed!) out there for an HST day. I was probably the slowest car out there, but I sure had a lot of fun. Will be nice to have twice the torque to pull out of the tight corners!
Absolutely.

the HST days can be a little ummm.. interesting.... a BMW CCA event will be a bit more structured (read: safer).. Hope to see you there!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #315
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
I believe it's a Canadian based clothing shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #316
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
I believe it's a Canadian based clothing shop.
Yeah, but they really lost their way when they started selling coffee mugs and keychains too
      07-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #317
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis_m3 View Post
Mod, please close this thread; this has turned into an "I hate BMW for making too much money... I wished they made track-ready rockets from now on, even though I hardly ever track the damn thing anyways", or "The M Division is letting me down lately, I may have to move on to a Porsche".

To all; no, I am by no means a pro driver or constantly tracking my car, but I LOVE the fact that my M3 is a great daily driver, family car, and I whenever I choose to... I can take it to a track and just enjoy what this beautiful machine is best at.
who are you to ask a Mod to close the thread?

you don't like the thread, it's this simple: DON'T CLICK ON IT!
I guess you just don't get sarcasm... Sorry if I offended your favorite thread.
Mod, please do NOT close it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #318
bikesbikes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 AW

While I agree for the most part that the M brand has been "watered down" in recent years. All the blame can't be placed on the marketing people. Nobody has commented on the fact that auto racing has changed. The Ferrari F40, Jaguar XJ220 & McLaren F1 were all cars that were homologated in order to race in an FIA series. Sadly FIA GT1 no longer exists. So car companies pour money into what racing series they deem gets them the most bang for the buck.

I'm not a huge Nascar fan, but that used to be THE "race on Sunday sell on Monday" series. No one can argue that the Chevy's and Fords that race there now have nothing in common with the street cars.

Yes M cars are still great cars. (note how i said cars) No they're not street versions of race cars anymore. But what really is?!? Unless you have gobs of money to spend...

Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #319
Fuman
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 DCT

Sadly this is what I felt when I started feeling confused about all the upcoming different and new models. It's starting to lose the feeling of passion and brand. I'm worried about the sense of belonging in ownership in the years to come. I'm a lover of the 3 series coupe but now its sounding like a 4 series. Exactly what is it? It's starting to feel like the marketing of Toyota or Kia. Soon there will be another off shoot from BMW like a Toyota/Lexus. I hope in 2 years when I change my car I will will have the same sense of belonging from my first BMW over a decade ago, and not feel confused.
      07-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #320
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesbikes View Post
While I agree for the most part that the M brand has been "watered down" in recent years. All the blame can't be placed on the marketing people. Nobody has commented on the fact that auto racing has changed. The Ferrari F40, Jaguar XJ220 & McLaren F1 were all cars that were homologated in order to race in an FIA series. Sadly FIA GT1 no longer exists. So car companies pour money into what racing series they deem gets them the most bang for the buck.

I'm not a huge Nascar fan, but that used to be THE "race on Sunday sell on Monday" series. No one can argue that the Chevy's and Fords that race there now have nothing in common with the street cars.

Yes M cars are still great cars. (note how i said cars) No they're not street versions of race cars anymore. But what really is?!? Unless you have gobs of money to spend...

Just my two cents.
This is so true! Look what it was the McLaren F1 and what it is the MP4-12C nowadays or compare the hype the Ferrrari 599 GTO was able to generate vs. the F40 or Enzo in the past. Lamborghini Aventador is mighty but would you compare the "impact" of it with the Countach? Things are watering down in everything in fact, not only in cars; in music, in literature, in cinema, just name it. There is no denying that while the technology is progressing we are also not passing through a time of genuine innovation and creativity. BMW and M are just following the tides to survive maybe.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #321
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Guess you never read the article in Roundel about 6 years ago with the then head of //M. He was asked what makes an M car and why there wasn't an X5M or M7. I wish I would have kept that issue since it showed how focused //M was at the time and explained the core values of the //M Philosophy at the time. But who would have known that //M would deviate so far from their core values.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #322
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Things are watering down in everything in fact, not only in cars; in music, in literature, in cinema, just name it. There is no denying that while the technology is progressing we are also not passing through a time of genuine innovation and creativity.
I agree if you add "off the shelf mass market" to your point.

Ever listen to a Starbucks order? Do you mod your car? How's BMW's Individual doing?

These days we don't want the same thing as the next guy, we want the same production thing to customize. We're hobbyists. Even with lattes.

Which brings up another point: I'm not a race car driver

I know.

But if I was ... you what I wouldn't do? Buy a mass produced luxury car with leather, A/C, and bluetooth. That comes with European delivery.

I haven't checked into it, but is that how F1s are delivered?

More on that here:
Quote:
My ill thought-through rant:

Mr Caswell doth protest too much: if he wants a race car then he should build one; Don't whine because BMW's 21st century mass market production factory won't do it for you... really?

Does any serious race car driver buy a factory built car with A/C, stereo, and leather interior and head to the track matrix?

As to "M used to mean something":
Uhhhh... You mean your poseur ass used to like the brand, I.e., the marketing? But now you dont because it's not quite poseur enough so you're calling people who like a fast factory luxury car poseurs?

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

I Have a e93 and before that an S4. I never tracked the S4 and won't the e93. Sometimes i care about its fanciness but usually I don't. I just like my luxury cars fast and wicked sounding. I like scaring myself on the way to work. I like being able to pass anybody anytime and corner better and brake faster. If I appreciated the cool looks more I'd probably buy the orange thing but I don't so I have Jerez black. I do like my 2 tone interior though. I also like the engineering. I'd buy a koenigsegg if I wasnt too lazy to make a few mil.

Grow up Mr Caswell, and realize who you are ... I have*

(*except in those moments at wide open throttle when i get slight air coming off the freeway entry ramp and giggle like a little girl ... Or that killer sweeper freeway exit s-turn when I downsift to 3rd ... Or ...)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #323
understeer
Usual Suspect
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

That actually is a good description of what many, if not most, professional race car drivers own as street cars/daily drivers.

http://vehicle.ezinemark.com/persona...6ca0bb668.html
2010 M3 E93, 2009 Cayman S, Porsche GT2, 1969 Camaro Z28, 1964 Jaguar E-Type, Caterham Super 7 (track car), 1957 Thunderbird, 1954 Jaguar XK120, 1958 Corvette, 1955 MGTF, Superformance 427 Cobra, 2009 Ferrari F430, 1955 Chevrolet Nomad, 1965 Shelby GT350, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe. 2012 BMW 750Lix

Last edited by understeer; 07-15-2012 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #324
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by understeer View Post
That actually is a good description of what many, if not most, professional race car drivers own as street cars/daily drivers.

some of these race car drivers have terrible cars. come on now.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #325
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by understeer View Post
I work for an insurance company.

I'm not really comfortable with those race car drivers claiming actuarial street cred just because they drive the same car I do.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #326
asandyz
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 2013

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I do think BMW is getting a little generous with the M Badges.
OK BMW, send me a badge!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #327
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

get a life.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #328
MStar
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #329
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Honestly, some of you guys need to look at it from both perspectives.

From BMW's point of view, you can't argue what they're doing. It's a business. They're here to make money. If they can do something, anything, to make more money - you bet your ass they will. It's nothing personal, it's just the way the world works. They have built amazing M cars over the years and built its reputation from the ground up since the 70's. They're using their hard earned rep to boost their sales. What's wrong with that? Absolutely nothing. Again - this is if you look at it from their point of view.

On the other hand, you have us enthusiasts that love what the M brand used to be. The M badge was something that signified motoring excellence. And with BMW adding M badges to everything.. it's killing its credibility and its overall perceived image.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #330
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
From BMW's point of view, you can't argue what they're doing.
X6M50d BMW. They can M135i themselves for all I care.
Appreciate 0