BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

08-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #67
tkila
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

Audis are generally boring to drive with very numb steering, even the RS models. AMGs are fast but they are way too smooth to feel the power and acceleration. M3 has the best driver involvement, but the styling and steering feel could use some work. There's no perfect car, but the M3 would suit about anyone even the most picky drivers.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #68
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZCP6MT View Post
but since a stock 328i handles better than the IS-F, so it is not even a contender in this league.

you have got to be joking......right?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #69
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkila View Post
Audis are generally boring to drive with very numb steering, even the RS models. AMGs are fast but they are way too smooth to feel the power and acceleration. M3 has the best driver involvement, but the styling and steering feel could use some work. There's no perfect car, but the M3 would suit about anyone even the most picky drivers.
AMGs are smooth? Have you turned traction control off that thing?

or do you mean supple suspension and soft gear shift transitions because that thing is a monster.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #70
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

don't you know 328i has more power than the ISF?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #71
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

A whole bunch of reasons:

1. It was always kind of a "dream car" for me. However, living in western massachusetts and being an avid skier, I really needed all-wheel drive. So until I could afford an M3 as second car for myself, I owned Audis.

2. I used to own an RS4. It is extremely capable and similar to the M3 in a number of ways. It is better than the M3 in some ways. However, the steering responsiveness, and general wired-to-your-nervous-system feeling isn't there. The M3 feels much more dynamic and alive through turns, etc. The suspension calibration on the M3 is far superior the that of a stock RS4.

3. The C63 just doesn't have enough traction for the amount of power/torque it produces. Secondly, there isn't even enough room under the wheel wells to mount properly wide aftermarket rubber.

4. CTS-V has the same issue with traction, interior fit and finish is still not up to that of its german counterparts, and there is still that Caddy image for me. Sorry, but I come from a generation where it is an old-man car or a car for the "uneducated rich". A guy who owns a port-a-potty company might own a Cadillac for example.

5. IS-F. I actually like the IS-F a lot, but the exhaust design is really ugly, and the overall set-up of the car is a bit "soft". Still a good effort from Lexus, and I am sure reliability is great.

6. I discovered after owning a 350Z convertible, that even as a toy, back seats make a car so much more driveable. There are times where if you can't transport an extra person or two, even if for a short while, a car becomes completely unusable. Even on a beautiful driving day it will just have to sit in the garage.

7. The M3 is legendary. It is an icon. It is a class benchmark. It has a great enthusiast community to be a part of. Getting on this website and sharing information, experiences, and humor with fellow M3 owners is all part of the enjoyment of owning this car. By contrast, go look at the discussion boards for an Audi R8. Dead.

8. Looks. This car is just so hot looking. The proportions are perfect. I am a big fan of the flared front fender, tapered-in rear look. The car is tastefully aggressive without looking like a cartoon or boy racer. It looks fast, yet sophisticated.

9. I have always contended that the M3 sits smack in the sweet spot of enthusiast car ownership. This goes for all cars. There is no single automobile that offers everything the M3 offers and does it ALL better.

Last edited by LarThaL; 08-08-2013 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #72
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Basically cause Ive wanted an M3 since I can remember. Never gave the others a second look. Though the C63 has a monster engine it is ugly for my taste. The Rs5 is sweet looking but not really a fan of all wheel drive unless we are talking 911turbo S.
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #73
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Back seats were a requirement when I picked up my car which is ironic considering I have a cage back there now.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #74
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 381 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
A whole bunch of reasons:

1. It was always kind of a "dream car" for me. However, living in western massachusetts and being an avid skier, I really needed all-wheel drive. So until I could afford an M3 as second car for myself, I owned Audis.

2. I used to own an RS4. It is extremely capable and similar to the M3 in a number of ways. It is better than the M3 in some ways. However, the steering responsiveness, and general wired-to-your-nervous-system feeling isn't there. The M3 feels much more dynamic and alive through turns, etc. The suspension calibration on the M3 is far superior the that of a stock RS4.

3. The C63 just doesn't have enough traction for the amount of power/torque it produces. Secondly, there isn't even enough room under the wheel wells to mount properly wide aftermarket rubber.

4. CTS-V has the same issue with traction, interior fit and finish is still not up to that of its german counterparts, and there is still that Caddy image for me. Sorry, but I come from a generation where it is an old-man car or a car for the "uneducated rich". A guy who owns a port-a-potty company might own a Cadillac for example.

5. IS-F. I actually like the IS-F a lot, but the exhaust design is really ugly, and the overall set-up of the car is a bit "soft". Still a good effort from Lexus, and I am sure reliability is great.

6. I discovered after owning a 350Z convertible, that even as a toy, back seats make a car so much more driveable. There are times where if you can't transport an extra person or two, even if for a short while, a car becomes completely unusable. Even on a beautiful driving day it will just have to sit in the garage.

7. The M3 is legendary. It is an icon. It is a class benchmark. It has a great enthusiast community to be a part of. Getting on this website and sharing information, experiences, and humor with fellow M3 owners is all part of the enjoyment of owning this car. By contrast, go look at the discussion boards for an Audi R8. Dead.

8. Looks. This car is just so hot looking. The proportions are perfect. I am a big fan of the flared front fender, tapered-in rear look. The car is tastefully aggressive without looking like a cartoon or boy racer. It looks fast, yet sophisticated.

9. I have always contended that the M3 sits smack in the sweet spot of enthusiast car ownership. This goes for all cars. There is no single automobile that offers everything the M3 offers and does it ALL better.
Right on. RIGHT ON.

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #75
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZCP6MT
but since a stock 328i handles better than the IS-F, so it is not even a contender in this league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

Nope. I test drove the IS-F and man, it was fast off the line. Felt like I was driving a '69 Camaro SS or something. At about 80 mph, going onto a huge 180 degree on ramp (22 East/5/57 merge, those in California know where...) eased off the gas to shift weight and dived into the turn, MAN, my confidence level just vanished. Felt like it was going to fishtail.

Drove a 328i coupe with M package a few days later and took the same turn. Same technique, and boy, it turned with a little effort on the steering but cleared the turn better than the IS-F. Then took a ///M3, smoothest motion with feedback saying, "go faster, I can handle...". That's why a ///M3 is a ///M3.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #76
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

//M
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #77
zonda600
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
It's interesting because until a few months ago, the E9x M3 was never really on my radar. But then I started reading more about the car, delving into reviews, and then finally drove one. My opinion changed entirely. I narrowed my choices down to a 987 Cayman or an M3, but as my only car and one I plan on keeping for at least four years, the M3 won me over.

I've also always really, really liked the B7 RS4. I had the chance to drive one on an autocross course way back in 2009 and fell in love with the engine. The steering feel is lacking and the physics of its very unideal weight balance is certainly noticeable, but I still enjoyed it immensely. I still think the car is aesthetically gorgeous and that the engine sounds better than most any other 8 cylinder out there.

I've also always liked the C63. It sounds and looks fantastic, but the pre-refresh interior is lacking and the drive just a bit unrefined compared to the M3. But, really, the only reason why I would never buy one is the lack of a manual. If I were interested in an automatic, I may have a C63 now.

The CTS-V is a brutally fast and capable car, but it's very heavy and feels it. The M3 is not what I would consider light and the CTS-V is several hundred pounds heavier. I also don't much care for the interior, but the M3/M4 might have its hands full with the eventual ATS-V.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #78
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Nope. I test drove the IS-F and man, it was fast off the line. Felt like I was driving a '69 Camaro SS or something. At about 80 mph, going onto a huge 180 degree on ramp (22 East/5/57 merge, those in California know where...) eased off the gas to shift weight and dived into the turn, MAN, my confidence level just vanished. Felt like it was going to fishtail.

Drove a 328i coupe with M package a few days later and took the same turn. Same technique, and boy, it turned with a little effort on the steering but cleared the turn better than the IS-F. Then took a ///M3, smoothest motion with feedback saying, "go faster, I can handle...". That's why a ///M3 is a ///M3.
different perspective.....ISF could do it at 100mph while the 328i may not even be able to take it at 95....."feels" like fishtail is about to happen and IS going to happen is different no?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #79
beemerdude5150
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
because his name is beemerdude.
Yezzzzzzzzirrrrrreee! Hahahhahaha
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #80
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:

you must know that this is just a you problem, right?

in the hands of skilled drivers (much more so than you or I) the ISF has posted excellent lap times, slalom times and skip pad grip levels. far superior to a 328i.

this type of anecdotal evidence really isn't legitimate.

it may be fair to say that you feel more comfortable driving a BMW, but the 328i does NOT handle better than an ISF in any measurable category, nor should it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #81
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

'cuz MB dealer who was selling '11 C63 AMG was smoking crack when he came up with asking price. I made a fair offer and he wouldn't really budge. So I bought an M3 instead...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #82
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Simple.

1. C63 was a sedan and wasn't crazy about the interior.
2. CTV - Don't really care for caddys or the look.
3. RS4 felt like there was a boat anchor in front. Great car tho.
4. Lexus auto is tragic, interior is sad for a lexus.

Very happy with my decision.
      08-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #83
Da Hapa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

First: I wasn't buying new... this is my third car and isn't ever going to be a garage queen. I park it outside, I take it to the airport and Angel games, and I put my surfracks and boards on top of it. So that limited my choices as the RS5 was only available brand new.
Second: It had to be a four door sedan. I want to comfortably take my son anywhere/everywhere with me. That double eliminated the Audi.
Third: As good as some dual clutch tranny's are, I wanted a proper, three pedal transmission. That eliminated the IS-F and the AMG Mercedes and triple eliminated the Audi.
Fourth: My wife HATED (and I can't overstate that) the CTS-V. I actually got past the kind of crappy interior and loved the wonderful motor and great shocks in that car but she wasn't having it for a second.

The E90 M3 stands alone. So far, it's been a great car. My boy loves "Daddy's Double Oooh" and enjoys riding with me and that's worth more than I can describe. This car is comfortable, pretty damned quick, handles well, and is a great size for our needs. My big complaints are that the gas tank is too small (I knew the MPG was going to suck but combine that with a tiny gas tank and I fill up twice a week) and that it's honestly a bit too heavy. But for what I paid... it's a screaming banshee of a great deal and perfect for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #84
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzMe View Post
Was comparing between S5 and M3. S5 was cheaper, moonroof & exhaust sound slightly better. Decided to save up more for M3 because prefer BMW to Audi, BMW's iDrive over Audi's and more importantly overall look & performance of M3. Also added Akrapovic exhaust to car.

No regrets getting M3 over S5.
I also ALMOST bought S5 but to me it all came down to finances. Stuck up Audi dealer was not offering any discounts off of the MSRP. When I asked them to throw in some basic goodies and they said no, I walked away and ordered my M3 with a small profit over invoice price.

It ended up being the same price as S5 and I ended up getting a much better car.

I would never consider a Cadillac and don't have the time to deal with all the issues MB throws at you.

As far as RS5 it is a nice car but it is no M3 and Audi should of done a lille better job differentiating RS5 from the rest of the gang. It looks just like a S5 with a wider rear end and uglier grill.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired

Last edited by TTG; 08-09-2013 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #85
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hapa View Post
.My boy loves "Daddy's Double Oooh" and enjoys riding with me and that's worth more than I can describe.

My son Loves riding the ///M3 with me too!

Hey brah, you Hapa?

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #86
soniczoom5
S65 FTW!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3 Silverstone

Garage List
2014 Mercedes  [0.00]
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Personally, E92 M3 is the Best All around sports car in the world, hands down. The only car I can say that I can't wait to drive it again after I park it. It is the only car I can drive to office, track and daycare with much anticipation. Even in its 6th and final year of production (E92), it still looks awesome.

Can't wait to drive it tomorrow morning.
the e90 handles better than the e92!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #87
soniczoom5
S65 FTW!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3 Silverstone

Garage List
2014 Mercedes  [0.00]
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
Audi RS4/5 - had an Audi once; never again; hit 70K miles and ended up dumping $1k/month for a few months to constantly fix it

MB C63 AMG - great car; love the exhaust; pure power; but the M3 IMO has better balance; also, no free maintenance included in the MB

Cadillac CTS-V - great car but 2 doors! (i got the e90)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #88
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Seeing why everyone got an M3 puts a smile on my face! Haha team ///M