BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
rmmcdaniel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3

Additional '09 E90 changes (besides tailights and Space Grey)???? From AutoBlog.com

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/20/s...elift-already/

"The revisions, of course, will be minor, but spy shots like the one above suggest that, in addition to the new tail lights being fitted to the regular four-door 3-Series, the M3 Sedan is expected to get some new LEDs up front. Other minor changes will be made to the rear, including a modified rear bumper and diffuser, along with a few updates to the interior. We won't be complaining, just as long as it's as fast as the existing model."

These comments about new LEDs up front and a modified rear bumper and diffuser make me nervous about sticking with the '08 as it seems a retrofit might be much more work than just replacing the taillight assemblies and trunk lid.

Thoughts? How credible is AutoBlog on this stuff? Note they credit this forum as the source...
      05-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
i follow bimmerfile.com which I think is most reliable but autoblog probably quotes them a lot? Anyway, I would say no point waiting for 08 car if you can get the facelift just half year later. Better for resale value as 3 years from now you can have the pre and after facelifted cars and if my experience is anything the facelifted models are always in more demand.
      05-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Autoblog is just making statements based on the same info you or I have. As you say - they got the pics from this very forum. The difference is that they know less about the M3 than you or I since they obviously have to spread their knowledge over all cars.

I'm not sure I can see the headlight change they seem to think will happen, though I am by no means the expert. But, I ask myself why BMW would change the headlights on the M3 sedan and not the coupe when their headlights are identical. Furthermore I ask myself why they would change the headlights at all since this piece is not shared with the E90 3 series and therefore has no basis whatsoever for an upgrade. It would be utterly arbitrary.

Regarding the diffuser, I suppose it could happen with respect to any required changes in the rear to support commonality with the changes to the rear of the E90 3 series. But again, this should be minor.

I have to reiterate two points I've made in earlier threads:
- I don't think it makes sense to wait for such things.
- I don't understand how you guys get so polarized about such minutae.

We still don't know about any interior changes improvements. Maybe those will be worth waiting for (shrug).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Autoblog is just making statements based on the same info you or I have. As you say - they got the pics from this very forum. The difference is that they know less about the M3 than you or I since they obviously have to spread their knowledge over all cars.

I'm not sure I can see the headlight change they seem to think will happen, though I am by no means the expert. But, I ask myself why BMW would change the headlights on the M3 sedan and not the coupe when their headlights are identical. Furthermore I ask myself why they would change the headlights at all since this piece is not shared with the E90 3 series and therefore has no basis whatsoever for an upgrade. It would be utterly arbitrary.

Regarding the diffuser, I suppose it could happen with respect to any required changes in the rear to support commonality with the changes to the rear of the E90 3 series. But again, this should be minor.

I have to reiterate two points I've made in earlier threads:
- I don't think it makes sense to wait for such things.
- I don't understand how you guys get so polarized about such minutae.

We still don't know about any interior changes improvements. Maybe those will be worth waiting for (shrug).
Nice post. Unless they raise redline to 9000rpm and find 30 more ponies it's full steam ahead.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

So what are all the answers to the questions you pose yourself?
      05-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

I don't have the sedan and haven't checked the following. But, if the current M3 sedan does not use the halos as DRL's like the coupe, my guess is that is what they are referring to and will most likely make the change across the 3 series sedan line. Hope that makes sense, someone correct me if I am wrong on the DRL/Halo difference.
      05-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
So what are all the answers to the questions you pose yourself?
Sorry, E, they're secret. You'll have to wait for a future autoblog post to reveal them.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
I don't have the sedan and haven't checked the following. But, if the current M3 sedan does not use the halos as DRL's like the coupe...
I'd be shocked if they currently differed, but I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
I don't have the sedan and haven't checked the following. But, if the current M3 sedan does not use the halos as DRL's like the coupe, my guess is that is what they are referring to and will most likely make the change across the 3 series sedan line. Hope that makes sense, someone correct me if I am wrong on the DRL/Halo difference.
Well, the M3 sedan's front end is identical to the M3 coupe's. So there's nothing they have to fix there.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
Manny212
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I have the halos as DRL on my sedan...I highly doubt BMW would add LEDS up front like Audi offers. Unless they got rid of the halos or something but that isn't going to happen

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Appreciate 0