BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK

Mporium BMW

04-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Richbe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Modifications and insurance - any good offers out there?

Insurance posts come and go, but the best offers change with them. I seem to remember Admiral doing some competitive offerings last year.

The key to my question very much lies in the 'modifications' aspect. I can search for standard insurance using the regular search sites, but they aren't very friendly when it comes to finding reasonable companies who understand that modding doesn't mean you're about to go and crash every where.

There seem to be a reasonable number of owners on here who have done the level of mods I am working towards -
  • suspension
  • wheels
  • lips
  • diffusers
  • exhaust

What deals are you getting and with whom? I am currently with Privilege but as soon as I mentioned a change of exhaust they ran a mile and said they wouldn't insure me at all. This contradicts previous feedback I found, hence why it does appear insurance companies come and go in their usefulness.

Suggestions on where to get modification friendly insurance would be greatly received. cheers Rich
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Try Admiral, they have always been very good with my mods. I think they also do a special 'modification policy' that can run along side you normal policy, not available on the multi-car policy which mine is though.

Marcus
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
try Heritage Insurance ....they were the cheapest for my highly modiflied 460bhp Subaru impreza P1
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Try Admiral, they have always been very good with my mods. I think they also do a special 'modification policy' that can run along side you normal policy, not available on the multi-car policy which mine is though.

Marcus
I enquired about putting on OEM black grills with Admiral - they wanted an addition £42 per year.

Jokers.
      04-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
bape
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 DCT

i would try a-plan or swinton/aviva they were the only two companies that would insure me with modifications a month ago!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bape View Post
i would try a-plan or swinton/aviva they were the only two companies that would insure me with modifications a month ago!!
i was with A-plan, heritage quote was 40% cheaper than A-plan for my P1
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 01:53 AM   #7
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
I enquired about putting on OEM black grills with Admiral - they wanted an addition £42 per year.

Jokers.
Odd, all my mods in my 'sig' £114.00 on top of the standard policy, and I mean ALL MODS, even down to telling them I have changed the badges to black & white.

I am guessing it must be because of your post code or previous claims may be? I have been with them for fours years on full no claims. Total cost with all mods, fully comp & the wife on their is less than £650.00 a year.......why are they jokers then?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 03:13 AM   #8
Richbe
Private First Class
Rep

I'll give Admiral a look, they guys on M3Cutters seem to be having some success with Adrian Flux as well especially given they now have a sticky on one of the forums. I've heard mixed reviews of them, but all I want is the cheapest possible cover, so they look like my next option. thanks for the suggestions
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 02:26 AM   #9
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Odd, all my mods in my 'sig' £114.00 on top of the standard policy, and I mean ALL MODS, even down to telling them I have changed the badges to black & white.

I am guessing it must be because of your post code or previous claims may be? I have been with them for fours years on full no claims. Total cost with all mods, fully comp & the wife on their is less than £650.00 a year.......why are they jokers then?
While I can't complain about their premium price (I'm around £620, with no mods), I just feel that £42 is a lot (in principle, not price) to change the colour of the grills.

Their answer to why such an increase in premium? - 'it make the car more desirable' is simply bullsh!t and I regard that as blatant profiteering.

I would be more than happy to pay an additional £114 for all of your mods, but to pay 40% of that just for grills is inbalanced!
      04-16-2010, 02:27 AM   #10
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbe View Post
I'll give Admiral a look, they guys on M3Cutters seem to be having some success with Adrian Flux as well especially given they now have a sticky on one of the forums. I've heard mixed reviews of them, but all I want is the cheapest possible cover, so they look like my next option. thanks for the suggestions
Admiral were a lot cheaper than Flux for me
      04-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

I wouldn't bother to declare black grills. Seen BMW approved cars with black grills. As far as some ignorant buyers of M3s are concerned, they wouldn't have a clue.

I wouldn't bother either about rear back box. If an assessor needs to come round, put the original back on.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
Admiral were a lot cheaper than Flux for me
Ed,

Flux quoted me £770 without a tracker, with protected no claims and no voluntary excess. Compulsory excess is very low too as same as my 330.
I have 15 years no claims, no accidents or claims plus IAM. Car is garaged at night and my postcode is very safe.

I will try Admiral to see what they say. What are you paying?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 02:04 AM   #13
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
I wouldn't bother to declare black grills. Seen BMW approved cars with black grills. As far as some ignorant buyers of M3s are concerned, they wouldn't have a clue.

I wouldn't bother either about rear back box. If an assessor needs to come round, put the original back on.
Each to his own but IMO I would seriously reconsider not telling your insurer about certain if not all mods. For the sake of a few quid against the price of an M3 why take that risk. What if like you say "If an assessor needs to come round, put the original back on" yes you could but would your dealer do this for you as your car will probably be sat in their garage.

IMO It just isn't worth it
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 03:06 AM   #14
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Ed,

Flux quoted me £770 without a tracker, with protected no claims and no voluntary excess. Compulsory excess is very low too as same as my 330.
I have 15 years no claims, no accidents or claims plus IAM. Car is garaged at night and my postcode is very safe.

I will try Admiral to see what they say. What are you paying?
£620 with tracker, 7 years NCB, protected no claims, £500 excess, street parking
      04-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
Richbe
Private First Class
Rep

I've just been in touch with Admiral, their quote is several multiples of what you were charged. Apart from 3 points on my licence 4 years ago I have a good track record and years of NCB. Only thing is I live in London. Adrian Flux are also on the case, but they are having to get back to me. Surely there must be a company somewhere that can actually insure a modified car for a sensible cost? I'm hardly a risk, I have never claimed in my life, which makes it all the more ridiculous, at this rate I'll struggle to justify any modifications at all...

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #16
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Thanks sucks , good luck with Adrian Flux.

Will you not be buying from Don now then?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #17
Richbe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks sucks , good luck with Adrian Flux.

Will you not be buying from Don now then?
I'm a stubborn sod, so I'll find insurance somewhere... don't write the deal off yet!
Appreciate 0