BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

05-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

The Big Island of Hawai'i

I'm going to the big island next month and would like to get some recommendations on where to go/what to do. I've searched on travel sites like tripadvisor, lonelyplanet and fodors.com but of course your inputs are appreciated.

We're pretty much down for anything from ziplining, whale watching, etc. If there is any tours that can take us to famous sites on the island please do recommend them.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
808six
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335 COUPE

i liv eon oahu, so i cant really speak for the big island...if it were up to me, id wanna see the lava flowing from one of the volcanoes (volcano national park) maybe a helicopter rid eor something...otherwise do yourself a favor a book a side trip to OAHU, has night life, shopping, and also the north shore...big island has..well...lots of land...oahu is where its at!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

I've been to Maui and Oahu so we're checking out the big island this time. I heard it's not as touristry as maui and oahu but I guess it's worth checking out.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

The only thing I know is Hawaii 5-0
      05-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
The only thing I know is Hawaii 5-0
That's on tonight BTW. CBS 10 pacific. Gotta love Grace Park.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
imported_Nomad
Rep
Drives:

Go to a bookstore and pick up HAWAII THE BIG ISLAND REVEALED by Andrew Doughty and Harriet Friedman and published by Wizard Publications INC; it is a valuable source of anything and everything (sights, activities, adventures, dining, accommodations).

It is so diverse; it has everything. Next to Kauai, it is my favorite island. However, I'm not a fan of Oahu, too tourist oriented.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Volcano National park, early bike rides up and down to see the sunrise, Hilo for old Hawaiian vibes, Kona/Kailua/Kealakekua for fishing or more tourist type activities. Also the drive around the island is interesting especially the interior IE elevenmile/volcano highway and the ranch. Very very different from Maui or Oahu
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
pc4400
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Big island

The biking is kinda boring.
There are some awesome hidden gem beaches, use google maps.
Also, there is horse back riding on the north east side at black beach (not sure of the name). It's where they filmed the end of waterworld and jurasslick park. It's very chill
FYI, go snorkeling but fish do bite. Ouch!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
headlee103
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
I went a few years ago to visit a friend that lives on the big island so we did some cool stuff that arent just the normal touristy stuff. I would suggest driving to the top of Mauna Kea, you never expect to see snow in Hawaii! But also if you look into it they have an observatory up there that has some great view of stars. I got lucky and when I was there Mars was visible. Hiking around the mountain around sunset is great.

My favorite part of the trip was hiking back to Hi'ilawe Falls, I didnt remember the name off the top of my head so I had to look it up. And I now see that you arent really supposed to hike back to the base of the falls, cause of private property but we didnt know that at the time. The falls were minimal during the time we were there but standing at the base of a 1,600ft waterfall is pretty sick! (It was only a 20 minute hike off the actual path to get back to the falls so I still suggest you do it haha)

Volcano National Park was ok, it is definitely cool to see the lava, but when its pitch black everywhere else you can just see orange where the lava is and nothing else is visible. So if you do go to check out the lava try to go right at sunset so there is still alittle light and you can see the landscape as well.

Kona is a pretty cool place to hang out, very laid back and usually some live bands playing nightly.

Hope this helps, have a good trip!

2007 AW 328xi
SOLD
19" Gunmetal Forgestar F14's / H & R Sport Springs / OEM Aero Lip & Rear Bumper / RD-V2 Angel Eyes / AFE CAI / BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the comments guys! Please keep them coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Nomad View Post
Go to a bookstore and pick up HAWAII THE BIG ISLAND REVEALED by Andrew Doughty and Harriet Friedman and published by Wizard Publications INC; it is a valuable source of anything and everything (sights, activities, adventures, dining, accommodations).

It is so diverse; it has everything. Next to Kauai, it is my favorite island. However, I'm not a fan of Oahu, too tourist oriented.
Thanks for the recommendation! The reviews on that book are great so I bought a copy. Thanks!

Last edited by BMW F22; 05-17-2011 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

Also recommend Hawaii National Park, not far from Hilo. We were there last year, the lava wasn't flowing much, maybe you'll luck out and be able to see something at night. One day is enough at the park, unless you want to camp out.
Just a few miles outside of Hilo, there is a nice surf spot where the river from the mountains, flow into the ocean(Honoli'i Beach Park) Be aware of how far out you go, the current can rip you out fast and unless your a very good swimmer, I do not recommend it.
Mauna Loa- I really wanted to do the hike from 6k feet to summit but, girlfriend wasn't too interested in starting the hike at 3 am and spending an entire days vacation walking up hill. Keep in mind, most car rental companies on the island will void your insurance and won't rent to you if you tell them your planning to drive up to Mauna Loa.(Saddle Rd. is a very fun drive, very curvy.)
Kealakekua Bay, south of Kona, is a great place to go snorkeling. Depending on how much you hike, you can either do a boat charter package where they supply the snorkeling gear and get you to the bay or you can hike down and pick your own spot. We did the hike down because I couldn't see spending money to go snorkeling when we both like hiking.
The island is very spread-out so plan your trip accordingly so you don't spend half of it zig zagging across the island.
Golf Courses- There are a few nice resorts in Kona, depending on how many days you plan on spending on the island and your budget, it might be worth bring your clubs.
I didn't, since we only had 6 days on the big island and I knew I wanted to do some hikes, go snorkeling, surf, volcano park and visit our friends who live in Hilo.