BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

10-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
Mtria
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Mines just come up asking me to add 1 litre of oil, is a BMW dealership the only place to purchase Castrol TWS? Also, what sort of oil consumption are you guys getting, are you needing to top up at any stage after a certain amount of klms? between services?
From my research, basically yes, some guys can get it through Castrol direct or your other option is online, but I'm not sure if the shipping costs will outweigh buying it locally.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:22 AM   #24
pnbmw
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Coupe

To quote Castrol Australia.
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/multi...tentId=7024136

'Castrol EDGE
Professional TWS 10W-60

This fully synthetic engine oil endorsed for use in BMW M models. Provides the confidence to demand maximum performance from M series vehicles & the latest technology high powered engines, which operate under higher pressures requiring oil with unsurpassed strength and performance credentials.'
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #25
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

We only use TWS 10/60, why would you risk damage to that great little V8 just to save a few bucks . I did here that TWS oil is Ester based , my Castrol rep tells me that TWS is the only Castrol oil to be used in the M3 V8. I now use it in all our GTR race cars and my Harleys, since we cant get Motul any longer TWS now replaces 20/60 Motul 300v in our shop.

I am happy to sell TWS in 20ltr tins if that helps all you DIYers.
PM me for a price, Sydney and pick up only sorry

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 11-09-2013 at 05:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #26
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter@Advan View Post
We only use TWS 10/60, why would you risk damage to that great little V8 just to save a few bucks . I did here that TWS oil is Ester based , my Castrol rep tells me that TWS is the only Castrol oil to be used in the M3 V8. I now use it in all our GTR race cars and my Harleys, since we cant get Motul any longer TWS now replaces 20/60 Motul 300v in our shop.

I am happy to sell TWS in 20ltr tins if that helps all you DIYers.
PM me for a price, Sydney and pick up only sorry
I think filling with anything but TWS allows BMW to easily walk away from any claim on the engine.
      11-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #27
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Snow View Post
Castrol Edge 10w60 and Edge professional are both 'Approved for BMW M vehicles'. The Professional title is just a new name for it. There is absolutely no problem using it under warranty
This is how I understand it as well.

Castrol Edge 10W60 FST
Castrol Edge professional TWS 10W60 FST (re-badged from Castrol TWS 10W60 FST)

Are the same oils.
See http://msdspds.castrol.com/msdspds/m...EN&output=Full

Enter product code 463738 for Edge and 467449 for TWS and compare the specs. (You will need to enter GB as country in order to see the results).

But if they insist on TWS I would go with that.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #28
rsv4dan
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT Sparkling Graphite

There is no reason why you can't run "regular" oil in your M3. Just change it at reasonable intervals. The S65's massive 9L sump capacity and the use of oem approved long life oils are only there to extend the service intervals. The sometimes 20,000km+++ intervals the on board computer calculates between oil changes are the only reason you "have" to use TWS(a long life oil)

I run 10w60 edge sport in my m3. And will be changing it every 7,500km or 12 months whichever comes first. If you care about your car/engine you wouldn't follow the horrible extended service intervals anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #29
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I think filling with anything but TWS allows BMW to easily walk away from any claim on the engine.
Sceptical on that, especially as some BMW dealers are using Shell 10W-60.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #30
EarthboundMisfit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsv4dan View Post
There is no reason why you can't run "regular" oil in your M3. Just change it at reasonable intervals. The S65's massive 9L sump capacity and the use of oem approved long life oils are only there to extend the service intervals. The sometimes 20,000km+++ intervals the on board computer calculates between oil changes are the only reason you "have" to use TWS(a long life oil)

I run 10w60 edge sport in my m3. And will be changing it every 7,500km or 12 months whichever comes first. If you care about your car/engine you wouldn't follow the horrible extended service intervals anyhow.
Here, here. Castrol is recommended, not mandated.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #31
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthboundMisfit View Post
Sceptical on that, especially as some BMW dealers are using Shell 10W-60.
I saw your post in another thread about this. It's interesting. But even if they put cooking oil and claim it TWS you wouldn't know. I think you should take it up with BMW Australia and ask for a written explanation and ask for cover in case of a engine failure. Your car.
      11-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #32
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsv4dan View Post

I run 10w60 edge sport in my m3.
I wouldn't use the Edge sport, its an inferior oil.

"TWS is tested and approved by BMW to meet the specific requirements for the M series engines - it has a different formulation ( which includes additional synthetic esters ) to the Edge sport 10W-60 to meet the specific BMW requirements and the only spec the TWS meets is BMW.
The EDGE 10W-60 is the retail alternative for the TWS Motorsport, which is a workshop only product supplied to BMW dealers.
So for the M series asking for the 10W-60 grade, I would recommend either the TWS Motorsport from BMW outlets or the EDGE 10W-60 ( which also only carries the BMW approval ) from retail outlets

Hope that helps

Kind regards

Andy Griffin
Castrol Technical Support"
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #33
rsv4dan
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT Sparkling Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I wouldn't use the Edge sport, its an inferior oil.

"TWS is tested and approved by BMW to meet the specific requirements for the M series engines - it has a different formulation ( which includes additional synthetic esters ) to the Edge sport 10W-60 to meet the specific BMW requirements and the only spec the TWS meets is BMW.
The EDGE 10W-60 is the retail alternative for the TWS Motorsport, which is a workshop only product supplied to BMW dealers.
So for the M series asking for the 10W-60 grade, I would recommend either the TWS Motorsport from BMW outlets or the EDGE 10W-60 ( which also only carries the BMW approval ) from retail outlets

Hope that helps

Kind regards

Andy Griffin
Castrol Technical Support"
It isn't an inferior oil it just isn't a long life oil. But of course Castrol rep's are going to promote it as being superior, they have to. It's all marketing hype to ensure people keep paying top dollar for it.
Engines are engines. There's nothing specific or particularly special about bmw's engines, even in the M3. My gf has a 2012 Golf GTi - same deal there. You are supposed to use Castrol EDGE Professional SLX III 5W-30, their VW branded oil. But thats only because it's a long life oil and must be used if you're going to follow the excessive oil drain intervals of 15,000km(which is very excessive for a turbocharged car).

I'll repeat. If you're servicing your own car or its out of warranty(so you don't have any problems with warranty rejection) and you plan on changing the oil at more realistic intervals, a quality "regular" oil is fine.

Don't forget oils also are tested and graded by governing bodies and have to meet standards before being certified. Just fyi -

Edge TWS is rated as follows:
ACEA A3/B4
API SN/CF

Edge Sport -
ACEA A3/B4
API SN/CF

So how is either an inferior oil???
Appreciate 0