BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Thinking about an SRT300

I'm looking to move from my E90 M3 to something with a bit more size and comfort (I just hit 40 so getting old). Looked at the S8 (too expensive), M5 (maintenance nightmare), and S6 (too dull). I dropped by the Chrysler dealer to drive the SRT 300. It was black with the black chrome pack. What a bad ass ride!

Pro:
Swagger for a big car, looks mean in black / black
Size and comfort - I actually FIT in this car. I'm always cramped in my M3 and most of the time fidgeting with the seats to get comfortable.
Sounds fantastic
Price - with my discounts I'm looking at around $45k
American - hey, its cool to be "un cool" sometimes everybody has a bimmer around here
I can drive it for work trips and get reimbursed for the mileage (I rent cars now since I wont put the miles on my M)

Con:
Some rental car bits
Lacks the German interior quality
I love the "M" nostalgia
Resale value?
5 speed auto with no manual option

I'm actually thinking about doing this for a while. Then pick up an M3 coupe a few years from now when I'm bored again.

Honestly, what is holding me back is my wife thinks the SRT is a cheesball ride for old people. Would you buy a car if your wife thinks its not cool?

Anybody else sampled this car?

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

Dont tell anyone but I seriously entertained a Challenger. Its HUGE, handling even with SRT8 is ponderous, definitely not the best fit and finish (using understatement generally lost on the internet) but there was something very appealing about it. I came close. Did I mention they are HUGE? New 300 SRT8 is nice, looks a lot better than the old IMO . Didn't Chrysler make the 100k warranty apply on SRT8 as well? If you like it, go for it!

Last edited by 1Sleeper; 04-10-2012 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: I corrected my spelling if you must know
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Chrysler has made a huge jump in overall quality with the introduction of the SRT brand. American car companies are really changing the rules of the game at this point. I don't think you will be disappointed, but you will lose the agility of the M3. SRT300 should be compared more to the 550i.
      04-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

The new model does look really good but I still don't think I'd buy one.
      04-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sleeper
Dont tell anyone but I seriously entertained a Challenger. Its HUGE, handling even with SRT8 is ponderous, definitely not the best fit and finish (using understatement generally lost on the internet) but there was something very appealing about it. I came close. Did I mention they are HUGE? New 300 SRT8 is nice, looks a lot better than the old IMO . Didn't Chrysler make the 100k warranty apply on SRT8 as well? If you like it, go for it!
I did a quick red light to red light with one in my 335 (may have a jb4), not far but enough to get up to about 70. Held with him quite well but eventually he started to pull on me at which we both knew we were done....until we had to stop at the next red light. Wow that was hilarious. I stopped quickly, nothing crazy, and was 5 feet behind the line. The srt8 went halfway through the intersection. Too funny.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
I'm looking to move from my E90 M3 to something with a bit more size and comfort (I just hit 40 so getting old). Looked at the S8 (too expensive), M5 (maintenance nightmare), and S6 (too dull). I dropped by the Chrysler dealer to drive the SRT 300. It was black with the black chrome pack. What a bad ass ride!

Pro:
Size and comfort - I actually FIT in this car. I'm always cramped in my M3 and most of the time fidgeting with the seats to get comfortable.
Sounds fantastic
American - hey, its cool to be "un cool" sometimes everybody has a bimmer around here
I can drive it for work trips and get reimbursed for the mileage (I rent cars now since I wont put the miles on my M)

Con:
Some rental car bits
I love the "M" nostalgia
Resale value?

I'm actually thinking about doing this for a while. Then pick up an M3 coupe a few years from now when I'm bored again.

Honestly, what is holding me back is my wife thinks the SRT is a cheesball ride for old people. Would you buy a car if your wife thinks its not cool?

Based on your description of your needs, it sounds like the F10 M5 might be a good fit for u! Do consider it if budget allows. Incidentally, I will be 40 next month
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Outside of the m5, which OP crossed of the list due to maintenance cost, I would consider a CTS-V over the SRT300, of course unless you are buying used there is quite a price difference. Would also consider jag XFR.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Based on your description of your needs, it sounds like the F10 M5 might be a good fit for u! Do consider it if budget allows. Incidentally, I will be 40 next month
You nailed it - the F10 M5 is the perfect car - except its about $55,000 OVER my budget lol. I cant imagine spending $100k on a car which will depreciate $50,000 in 3 years. Some people have money to burn.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
Outside of the m5, which OP crossed of the list due to maintenance cost, I would consider a CTS-V over the SRT300, of course unless you are buying used there is quite a price difference. Would also consider jag XFR.
I hear ya, and thought the CTSV would be my next car. I decided this before I drove it. Its faster than shit, but it sounds like a vacume cleaner and the Recaros are HARD as a piece of wood.

I was bummed out, I thought that would be my car!

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I thought about a used F10 550i M SPORT however, used, they're slightly out of my budget. Plus you lose the coolness factor of an M, V, S, SRT, etc. I love the factory hot rod look and feel these cars have out of the box.

Plus my mom drives a 550 which means its too "normal" for me.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
I thought about a used F10 550i M SPORT however, used, they're slightly out of my budget. Plus you lose the coolness factor of an M, V, S, SRT, etc. I love the factory hot rod look and feel these cars have out of the box.

Plus my mom drives a 550 which means its too "normal" for me.
Yeah, as an M3 owner now, u are gonna hate the F10. The regular F10 does not have anything near the steering feel/response of an M. How about a F30 335i M Sport?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
I made the plunge a year ago with my 2011 challenger srt8 392. I bought it because I wanted to do the muscle car thing and because it was available with the 6 speed manual. My rationale was the E92 M3 is so big and luxuried out that if i was interested in a big powerful/comfortable car why go half way? The srt8 is great for what it is. My only complaint is I really dont find the seats comfortable, probably due to the my bad back and the the fact the side bolsters are clearly designed for someone who weighs 100 lbs. more than me. I'd love to keep it other than the uncomfortable seats. The main reason I'm selling it and moving on isn't because it's not a great car, it's because my suspicions that kept me away from the E92 in the first place were confirmed... I don't like big cars.

The TT-RS I'm replacing it with however...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Quote:

Pro:
Sounds fantastic

Con:
Some rental car bits
I love the "M" nostalgia
Resale value?

Just to clarify, unless BMW is changing their policy, all cars come with free maintenance (or is that just on lease vehicles?) I have an M3 'vert, which besides being flawless thus far, is covered 100% on all maintenance, other than rubber. No way in heck I would personally drive anything American...sad, but true I'm just sayin....
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Chemicals
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2008 DCT SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole328 View Post
No way in heck I would personally drive anything American...sad, but true I'm just sayin....
I have a hatred for all american cars. I think corvettes are beautiful and a good deal for the performance on paper, but I just can't stop associating the Chevy Bowtie with poor taste and poor quality. I recently sat in a brand new camaro to see if anything had changed; I had to lie to my friend and tell him how awesome it was. All I could think about is how damn cheesy it felt. These cars are like giant driving joke-mobiles. Same with Ford (even more so, I just don't even partially like any of their cars). I know it is unfair to lump it all together, but for god's sakes American Car Companies have agressive tarrifs on their competition and still can barely eek by, avoiding bankruptcy by borrowing unbelievable ammounts of money in the biggest consumer market in the world. Hilarious, considering BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. all make profits since their inception despite the hefty barriers to entry and logistics of foreign operations.

GMC and Ford, the two " 'Merican " companies even worth mentioning have net losses since their inception. They lurch forward off the backs of American taxpayer charity and pity (aided by the funds of hopefuls like me that would knee-jerk buy an F150 or Corvette and immediately regret it). I see them as a drain on the productivity of our country; people employed in those fields should be re-trained working in the tech and information industry where we still have a competetive advantage.

My Grandpa told my dad "son, never buy a chrysler product" and he passed that proverb to me after his oil field truck (Dodge 1500) lost its bed going down a dirt road. It wasn't bolted on from the factory, brand new. Awesome. 'Merica. I will not even mention the POS that was my '05 mustang.

Sorry for the hate, I just don't see any sensationalism over "new" american cars to be justified. I always investigate to see if they are finally worth checking out again, and I am always disapointed. SRT300? Never in a million years for me. Just one viewing of the "Detroit" themed comercials made me laugh. It tried to highlight the vehicles quality and luxury as-associated with Detroit...what a god damn failed concept if I have ever seen one.

Last edited by Chemicals; 04-11-2012 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

I've sat in the new SRT300 and I have to admit that it has a very luxurious interior and the driving feel isn't that bad either. But with my experience with American cars, it won't last long. The interior will probably fully degrade within a year and be riddled with rattles/random noises and the car will probably be in the shop every other week.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

I find it very stupid how you can't even get a navagation system in the new Camaros..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemicals View Post
I have a hatred for all american cars. I think corvettes are beautiful and a good deal for the performance on paper, but I just can't stop associating the Chevy Bowtie with poor taste and poor quality. I recently sat in a brand new camaro to see if anything had changed; I had to lie to my friend and tell him how awesome it was. All I could think about is how damn cheesy it felt. These cars are like giant driving joke-mobiles. Same with Ford (even more so, I just don't even partially like any of their cars). I know it is unfair to lump it all together, but for god's sakes American Car Companies have agressive tarrifs on their competition and still can barely eek by, avoiding bankruptcy by borrowing unbelievable ammounts of money in the biggest consumer market in the world. Hilarious, considering BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. all make profits since their inception despite the hefty barriers to entry and logistics of foreign operations.

GMC and Ford, the two " 'Merican " companies even worth mentioning have net losses since their inception. They lurch forward off the backs of American taxpayer charity and pity (aided by the funds of hopefuls like me that would knee-jerk buy an F150 or Corvette and immediately regret it). I see them as a drain on the productivity of our country; people employed in those fields should be re-trained working in the tech and information industry where we still have a competetive advantage.

My Grandpa told my dad "son, never buy a chrysler product" and he passed that proverb to me after his oil field truck (Dodge 1500) lost its bed going down a dirt road. It wasn't bolted on from the factory, brand new. Awesome. 'Merica. I will not even mention the POS that was my '05 mustang.

Sorry for the hate, I just don't see any sensationalism over "new" american cars to be justified. I always investigate to see if they are finally worth checking out again, and I am always disapointed. SRT300? Never in a million years for me. Just one viewing of the "Detroit" themed comercials made me laugh. It tried to highlight the vehicles quality and luxury as-associated with Detroit...what a god damn failed concept if I have ever seen one.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Coming from an M3, I think you will love it for the new factor for awhile, then you'll desperately want to come back into the fold.

I went the opposite way - I just leased a Countryman S for my daily DC commute, what a ball of fun that car is. I just cannot seem to bring myself to get something bigger, clumsier, less fuel efficient.

I have decided the M3 is as big as I'll go for now.

Have you considered a used E63? Or looked again at a CPO E60 M5?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
davcrz5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport 2011, ISF 2011

Dodge has now branched off SRT line it is now a sepreate divison you now have Dodge, Jeep, Chyrsaler and SRT here are some pics from NY Autoshow of all new SRT8 300C which puts out 470hp and 470tq 45k, the SRT Charge also now puts out 470hp,470tq price 45k, challenger 470hp,468tq price 43k and SRT8 Jeep 470hp,470 tq 60k

Name:  2012-04-07 05.29.19.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  252.0 KB

Name:  2012-04-07 05.28.36.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  301.4 KB

Name:  2012-04-10 01.53.28.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  259.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Pretty plain jane IMO but you drove the thing. If it's what you like, then I say go for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #20
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

I wish the Jeep was a lot more aggressive looking. I was thinking about picking one up...but I think I will default to a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #21
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Bitchin' cars, I say go for it. The 550 actually feels bigger to me, they really do a good job of masking the size of the 300. The closest factory performance group doing the "M" thing in America is SRT. GM's HPV and Ford's SVT are still struggling to carve out an identity for themselves where SRT has been serious since the Viper, and every car they've touched has been a true factory hot rod.

And I heart my Dodge pickup.
      04-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #22
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthai View Post
I find it very stupid how you can't even get a navagation system in the new Camaros..
You can in the 2013 Camaro.

OP, if you can hold out for another year or so the SRT line should get an 8 speed transmission to replace the 5 speed.
Appreciate 0