BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #45
TysonRa
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
Really? I had no issues. I had no issues with the C63 either.
yeah,they told us that they have to get this from Stuttgart.Then it failed and we just could get a cayenne s!

it was also no problem getting a c63 amg for me(ok,they gave me the t-model) and also test driving a R8.

really weird.

Bought the turbo s anyway!

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #46
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Funny, I get calls from dealerships asking if I want a test drive their new products, some of them know I am not looking to buy anything at the moment too.............. Helps to establish a report with the sales manager.
      03-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #47
TysonRa
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

by the way I also test drived the X5M. In my opinion compared to the turbo s,the X5M was really bad.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #48
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

When I went to go pick up my brand new 335i that I had built I could see it from the road and all the sales guys were checking it out. But as I started walking up there I was stopped before coming on the lot and asked what I was doing there and if I was lost or needed directions... I told them, "yeah you see that car you guys are all looking at, thats mine!"

I should mention that I was 23 at the time, driving a truck, dressed nice, and im Mexican. Which of those factors do you think I was being judged on?

However, same place 3 years later....They all knew me because I was there all the time with my Lemon 335 so when I ordered my M They didnt even ask me to leave a deposit or sign anything.
      03-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #49
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
Test driving an M3 or GTR is cake. Try test driving an GT3 or Ferrari.
AGREE

when i bought the M3 it was in a Porsche dealer and they had a guy test drove a porsche and when they came back guy said you wanna take it for a spin... Could not resist so i did... i wish i shouldnt have.... cause now everyday i go to work is that i wish i bought the GT3 RS... but of course financial situation was just not there.... so now my goal is to have a GT3 RS.. funny how the M3 was my GOAL when i was 20... now im 31 and getting married this year, ill just forget about the GT3 RS..... dont want wifey to go...
      03-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #50
Sean Alexander
Long-term Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 Porsche Cayman S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
When I went to go pick up my brand new 335i... I was stopped before coming on the lot and asked what I was doing there and if I was lost or needed directions... I should mention that I was 23 at the time, driving a truck, dressed nice, and im Mexican.
The reason your 335i was a lemon is because you sold yourself out and bought it from them anyway. There is simply no excuse on earth for them treating you that way when you went to pick your car up. I'd like to apologize for mankind in general, but I must admit to being disappointed in you too, for giving them your business anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #51
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo/E63S

Test drove an '11 Sedan yesterday. Didn't even have to ask. Salesman asked me.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #52
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Obivously your age will probably be the biggest factor, race unfortunately probably second biggest, maybe even bigger. You can't change either of them, so just go buy a pair of medical scrubs, problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #53
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

I am under 30 and I have test driven quit a few expensive cars.
I guess its the way you present yourself when you go into the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #54
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

The only issue I've ever experienced came from trying to test drive super high end - Ferrari, Lambo, and Bentley. Even with an appointment, I've gotten the "car can't leave the lot" story.

If I want to test out an M car, AMG, Audi RS, Porsche, Lotus, etc. I call the dealership on Friday and ask to speak with a salesman that will be working on Saturday. I discuss the cars I'm considering. I virtually always mention 3 comparable cars (M3, S4, C63 for example) to demonstrate that I'm shopping around and confer knowledge about the alterntives. I also specifically mention car club events as a consideration so that he understands I need wheel time.

Then I shoot him an email with my contact from my office (demonstrates job and title) to confirm our meeting time.

Show up in clean clothes in an M3 and I usually get to drive better options than requested.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #55
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Alexander View Post
The reason your 335i was a lemon is because you sold yourself out and bought it from them anyway. There is simply no excuse on earth for them treating you that way when you went to pick your car up. I'd like to apologize for mankind in general, but I must admit to being disappointed in you too, for giving them your business anyway.
Wow thanks bro.... Honestly, I get that crap allot so im kinda used to brushing that stuff off... The only reason I moved forward on the deal with that dealership was because I was so excited about the car and every other local BMW dealer treated me pretty much the same way. I did write them a very unhappy letter after the deal with my car was complete though because there was allot more stuff that happed then just that. Lets just say that I had a better buying experience with my ex-wifes PT cruiser then I did with my 335... I dont get it. There are allot of young engineers now and days with money to spend. Even other minorities would pull up next to me and say stuff like "Nice car, how did you get it? Did you win the lottery?". I mean really?! I guess people just arent used to seeing a young minority who has his shit together enough to be able to afford nice things like a BMW.... I even got pull over the other day by the local PD and the first thing the cop asked me is "Whos car is this? Is this YOUR car?"

Anyway, sorry to go
      03-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #56
Ben Choad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3; 09 Lambo LP560-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFear View Post
How many of you guys were allowed to test drive an M3 or other high end expensive car before buying? I've been looking around to purchase another toy and all the dealers are really uptight about test drives. Do you have to be like 65 years old and wearing a suit to get a test drive?
Yes on the M3 but i had bought (rather leased) two BMWs from that dealer before I traded up from the 335i to the M3. Given the history with the dealer, they would have let me drive any of their cars.

Yes also on Lambo. I had my 335i at the time when I went to look at the LP-560, granted it was a slight used Lambo. They did not have a problem with me taking the car for a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #57
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

I always try and call and set something up a few days in advance. Show up, be respectful, and try not to look like a homeless person and you should be good to go. That being said, every dealer and situation is going to be different!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #58
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

I walked in to the BMW dealer right before they closed with no appointment on a Saturday night and expressed interest in a 2010 M3 DCT with all options. After a short discussion they gave me the keys for the weekend and sent me on my way, no contracts, no deposit. Had a great experience with them and ended up buying the car.

I was 28 at the time and had my wife with me.

I did drop into a Ferrari dealer once and spent probably 30 minutes just looking around and finally left without anyone saying a word to me so I know the feeling.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #59
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Test drive turns deadly with car salesman at wheel
PHILADELPHIA | Sat Mar 5, 2011 1:26pm EST

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - A Pennsylvania car salesman who drove 100 mph during a test drive to show his customers "how it's done" but crashed, killing one of them, faces criminal charges, police said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...72423B20110305
Guess he lost the sale.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #60
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33176 View Post
I go out and test drive every new car that I want to. What I do is print my credit report from that day(I have access to it thru one of the credit monitoring sites) and bring it in. I'm 40 and with a 792 middle score and very good income, they'll let you drive anything if you appear to be a serious buyer. For an example, I drove a 2011 Porsche GT3 RS on Friday. What a fantastic car. Fake like you're a serious buyer and if you do what I do and, if you're not in your 20's, they'll let you drive about anything you want to.
Do that in a bar and you'll get laid as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #61
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

everyone here is talking about acting respectfully and being an honest and serious buyer are the keys to successfully test driving a m3, but i dont think thats the case. im always respectful because thats how my parents raised me and of course im a serious buyer. why else would i waste my time going to their dealership? its not for the free coffee ill tell you that.

i just turned 23, and i bring my parents along whenever i make big purchases for street cred. ive had no problems with mercedes, p-cars, rolexes, and pateks that are more expensive than a m3. they've all treated me with respect and every pcar dealer is eager to get me to test drive any car. no problems. ppl let me try on any watch i want and let me look at it as long as i need to. but, i cant get a bmw dealership to take me seriously when test driving a m3. if i ask to test drive a 328, they have no problems helping. but if its a m3, all bets are off.

Last edited by crackberry; 03-07-2011 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #62
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
Test driving an M3 or GTR is cake. Try test driving an GT3 or Ferrari.
like my previous post above, ive had zero problems test driving a gt3. p cars owners and dealerships get a bad rap for being dicks or arrogant bast*rds, but i find that its usually not the case.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #63
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

My Uncle owns a large business was in town for a funeral. We had some time to kill and he was looking to buy a dozen vans for his business so we walked over to a dealer across the street from his hotel. I was in my early 20's and wearing a suit. There was a Delorean on the floor and the salesman practically pushed me into it so we could go for a drive even though all I did was ask a few questions. My Uncle, who could have literally wrote a check to buy the entire dealership, was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, overweight and a scraggly beard and he couldn't get the time of day from anybody in there. They missed out. He's the type that if a good deal could be made, he would have wrote a check for a dozen vehicles right then and there. Appearances often make a difference.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 03-07-2011 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #64
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

I'm 24 and every time BMW comes out with a new model, my dealer calls me to arrange a test drive. their sales and the service departments are fantastic.