BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

08-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
pb12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Manual Seats vs Electric Seats - Height Question

Can anyone comment on how much lower the manual seats sit than the electric seats? I'm considering buying a set of manual seats to try and get lower in the car, but I have not actually sat in a car with manual seats.

Looking for first hand experience from folks who have sat in both.

Thanks!
Michael
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I actually recall some saying that the manual seats sit a little higher, unlike the E46 M3. Maybe try to find a local car for sale at a dealer and go sit in it for a back to back comparison.

I have manual seats and could try to measure if you have a method for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I've had both. I sit noticeably lower with manual seats. I don't have exact measurements but the manual seats feel at least 2" lower than the electric seats. Big bonus, I'm 6'4" and they give me a hunkered down perfect driving position. Something I couldn't achieve with the electric seats. Hey, I live in Tigard. You're welcome to swing by and check it out for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
pb12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
I've had both. I sit noticeably lower with manual seats. I don't have exact measurements but the manual seats feel at least 2" lower than the electric seats. Big bonus, I'm 6'4" and they give me a hunkered down perfect driving position. Something I couldn't achieve with the electric seats. Hey, I live in Tigard. You're welcome to swing by and check it out for yourself.
I'll take you up on that offer! I'll send you a pm to try and coordinate...

M
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
pb12
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks to Denk I had a chance to measure both electric and manual seats today. His seat, at it lowest position is almost exactly 1.5 inches lower, sitting 39 inches seat bottom to headliner. My electric seats sit around 37.5 inches from the headliner in their lowest position.

Now the open question is, how low do the BMW Peformance seats sit? Anyone have a set installed they can measure?????

M
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
M3Pedal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe 6MT

Garage List
I too have been wondering about this. When you measured, did you notice if the front of the seat cushion was any lower or was it only lower at the back of the cushion closer to the seat back? The one time I sat in the manual seats I also believed it was lower but felt that there was a rake downward from front to back of the cushion, where the power seat sits flatter across the cushion but higher from the floor.
      08-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
pb12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pedal View Post
I too have been wondering about this. When you measured, did you notice if the front of the seat cushion was any lower or was it only lower at the back of the cushion closer to the seat back? The one time I sat in the manual seats I also believed it was lower but felt that there was a rake downward from front to back of the cushion, where the power seat sits flatter across the cushion but higher from the floor.
Regretably I did t measure the front of the seat, only the rear of it nearest the backrest. Having said that, I do completely agree that the manual seat has more rake to it. It seems like the mechanism pivots from the front portion of the seat.

M
Appreciate 0