BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-22-2011, 03:26 AM   #45
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Dangerously filming as you drive in anticipation of getting cut off (or worse) so you can post your 15th thread on the forums?

FAIL.

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #46
Gubbins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7979 View Post
Actually passing on the right of a car IS illegal in a lot of states. The exception is if it is a divided 2 way, or a multilane one way. (I know it is in TX; Defensive driving!)
I couldn't give a rat's ass what the "law" is. If there is a slow minivan hogging the left lane, I am going to blow by it on the right... And that goes for 99% of other Texas drivers in fast cars too, at least here in Dallas so I am in good company.

If anyone should get a ticket, it should be the idiot driving slow and hogging the left lane.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #47
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

I Live in NYC so I know the law on this. Minivan driver is 100% WRONG for making a right turn from the left lane AND for not using directional signals. In NY state you are allowed to pass a vehicle on the right if it is waiting at and intersection to turn left. Now in this video, normally the OP would be wrong to pass this minivan (passing on the right). In this situation I would be slowing down approaching the intersection because living in NY I have seen MANY people do what the minivan driver did. So I would be prepared.
But I think this video is a PRIME example to show people how dangerous passing a MOVING vehicle on the Right is.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #48
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3nyc View Post
But I think this video is a PRIME example to show people how dangerous passing a MOVING vehicle on the Right is.
I would say it is just as dangerous to pass someone on the left. Why? Because someone is bent on driving in the most obtuse and dangerous fashion they are able to, then there is nothing that will stop them from making a left turn from the right lane either. Furthermore, we should be precise here and say that it is not passing, but merely driving next to or even slightly behind these poor drivers that will put you in their crosshairs. The only way to combat this is to never overtake anyone in front of you for any reason. Of course then you may very well open yourself to a higher probability of being rear-ended. So now what?

By extension we can also say that speeding, too - something we ALL do - is dangerous and should be avoided at any cost. Why? Again, if someone is a poor driver, they are going to switch lanes at will without signaling and without paying any mind to what is going on around them. Speeding surely increases the chance that you'll be missed by an unattentive driver and become the victim of their carelessness. And guess what? You might even get the ticket instead of them.

What the video shows me is that driving is dangerous because there are some really terrible drivers out there. Of course I knew that - we all do - but this shows first hand how ridiculously ill-equipped and unprepared to even be on the road some people are.

Everyone has their philosophy on how best to counteract these poor drivers out there that we put up with every day and how to best protect themselves. My theory has always been that the swifter I get to where I need to be, the less likely I am to be involved in any unfortunate mishap. This has worked for me this far in life. All else being equal, statistics will favor this notion, although certainly when you speed to get where you want to be, and when you pass by others on the road, everything is far from equal. So you pick your poison.

You have to be somewhat smart about it of course. Some risks are better bets than others. Driving 80mph on the expressway is probably a good tradeoff vs going the speed limit. Driving 100mph? Maybe not so much. You get the idea. Would I speed up just to pass someone on the right side in an urban setting? As a general course of action, probably not. But, sure, I can think of a number of circumstances where I would do that, and I would not apologize for it either. I am not going to sit behind a guy who is going under the limit, especially if my business will require me to do a right turn up ahead anyway. I am going to get in my lane and prepare for my right turn, and I am going to do so without worrying about whether I might overtake the cars to the left of me while doing so. Is this illegal? Maybe. I don't know. And I don't really care either. I am just trying to get to where I need to be, and you better believe that I am using my signals when I switch lanes and make turns, even if there's not another soul visible on the road.

Long post, probably excessively long. Anyone wants to debate me on it - save it. I am off my soapbox now, and I am not going to argue today.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #49
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

This vid was on a city street and not a highway right? IMO the left lane passing rules do not apply to city streets - only to highways. In the city I (and most people) drive in a particular lane depending on where they are going (i.e. if you will making a right soon you will be in right lane, left soon and you will be in left lane). There is no "fast lane" in the city. Unless I will be turining soon I will be in the lane moving the fastest and would not think twice about passing someone on the right, left, or any lane.

On a side note - most enthusiasts on a board like this try to adhear to traditional driving rules i.e. left lane for passing only, slower traffic move right. However, here in America it unfortunately does not always work like that since people feel entitled to drive in whichever lane they like at whatever speed they feel is appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #50
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Why is everyone ignoring the fact that it is illegal to make a right turn from the left lane? I've never heard of undercutting, don't know if thats a law up north, but it does not excuse the minivan from its responsibility to turn right from the right lane or left from the left lane. That is the greater of the offenses here. And, I don't see how filming while driving is dangerous as Titanium Silver said. The driver wasn't holding the camera in his hand, and even if he were, how is that unsafe or dangerous?

People who drive minivans are more likely to be distracted drivers based on the intended purpose of minivans, i.e. hauling people, children, adults, or both. And as such, anyone who drives near or by one should expect them to drive like douchebags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #51
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver View Post
Dangerously filming as you drive in anticipation of getting cut off (or worse) so you can post your 15th thread on the forums?

FAIL.
looks to me like the camera was mounted
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #52
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I would say it is just as dangerous to pass someone on the left. Why? Because someone is bent on driving in the most obtuse and dangerous fashion they are able to, then there is nothing that will stop them from making a left turn from the right lane either. Furthermore, we should be precise here and say that it is not passing, but merely driving next to or even slightly behind these poor drivers that will put you in their crosshairs. The only way to combat this is to never overtake anyone in front of you for any reason. Of course then you may very well open yourself to a higher probability of being rear-ended. So now what?

By extension we can also say that speeding, too - something we ALL do - is dangerous and should be avoided at any cost. Why? Again, if someone is a poor driver, they are going to switch lanes at will without signaling and without paying any mind to what is going on around them. Speeding surely increases the chance that you'll be missed by an unattentive driver and become the victim of their carelessness. And guess what? You might even get the ticket instead of them.

What the video shows me is that driving is dangerous because there are some really terrible drivers out there. Of course I knew that - we all do - but this shows first hand how ridiculously ill-equipped and unprepared to even be on the road some people are.

Everyone has their philosophy on how best to counteract these poor drivers out there that we put up with every day and how to best protect themselves. My theory has always been that the swifter I get to where I need to be, the less likely I am to be involved in any unfortunate mishap. This has worked for me this far in life. All else being equal, statistics will favor this notion, although certainly when you speed to get where you want to be, and when you pass by others on the road, everything is far from equal. So you pick your poison.

You have to be somewhat smart about it of course. Some risks are better bets than others. Driving 80mph on the expressway is probably a good tradeoff vs going the speed limit. Driving 100mph? Maybe not so much. You get the idea. Would I speed up just to pass someone on the right side in an urban setting? As a general course of action, probably not. But, sure, I can think of a number of circumstances where I would do that, and I would not apologize for it either. I am not going to sit behind a guy who is going under the limit, especially if my business will require me to do a right turn up ahead anyway. I am going to get in my lane and prepare for my right turn, and I am going to do so without worrying about whether I might overtake the cars to the left of me while doing so. Is this illegal? Maybe. I don't know. And I don't really care either. I am just trying to get to where I need to be, and you better believe that I am using my signals when I switch lanes and make turns, even if there's not another soul visible on the road.

Long post, probably excessively long. Anyone wants to debate me on it - save it. I am off my soapbox now, and I am not going to argue today.
I have no problem with what you have said. When my dad taught me how to drive many moons ago, his first rule was , assume that most drivers are stupid and always think "what is the dumbest thing the person in front/side of you can do" and 8 times out of ten you will be right. So be prepared. That is how I have survived all of these years. I expect lunacy.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #53
fokus45
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: little blue dune buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Why is everyone ignoring the fact that it is illegal to make a right turn from the left lane? I've never heard of undercutting, don't know if thats a law up north, but it does not excuse the minivan from its responsibility to turn right from the right lane or left from the left lane. That is the greater of the offenses here. And, I don't see how filming while driving is dangerous as Titanium Silver said. The driver wasn't holding the camera in his hand, and even if he were, how is that unsafe or dangerous?

People who drive minivans are more likely to be distracted drivers based on the intended purpose of minivans, i.e. hauling people, children, adults, or both. And as such, anyone who drives near or by one should expect them to drive like douchebags.
+100000000

My thoughts exactly. Van was COMPLETELY in the wrong. Good braking op.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #54
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Minivan driver was in the wrong, period. I pass on the right sometimes, but usually not near an intersection. People like to clog up the left land and don't understand that it's usually a passing lane, not a drive extremely slow lane or "fast" lane.

It the minivan drivers insurance company saw that video, they would instantly accept 100% liability for the accident. OP, good job avoiding the accident. There was a post on here a few months back of a 335 in Singapore that rearended the hell out of the car in front, all on video. Fortunately this one didn't turn out the same way.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #55
Andy001
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I think it makes perfect sense. A video document of what happened is a clear winner in court, as long as you are not the one at fault. It can damn you as much as it can help you, but it is a tool to be used. I'd consider doing it as well.
A car dvr can record video and other information related to vehicle impact or accidents.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #56
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
People who are not familiar with big city driving will probably look at the OP. But in general, taking the left lane in the city often leads to being in the turning lane, and usually the slowest lane because not all left turning lanes get their own signal and not to mention the density of the on coming traffic.

In downtown areas of NY, all bets are off. You got to drive like it's WAR.

I concur!
      12-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #57
pepsih
Captain
Rep
Drives: f02, e24

Sorry for no response, but i decided to clarify few things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver View Post

FAIL.
GOOD FOR YOU IF YOU HAVE 278 posts, you think it makes you a bigger car enthousiast???
I have been following this forum for few years now without giving any comments because of my English....
On the oder side i speak 2 other languages...French and Polish

FYI i have a camera mount in my car all the time when i'm driving around NY, you can only imagine if you have a STOP sign and someone miss it, how you gonna proove the police or your insurance that you're not guilty.

For all of you who think i'm not suppose to pass on the right side... well honestly i'm not sure if it apply in the city...

This thread was made just to show you everyone that while you driving focus on it.
Because you never know where the danger is coming from

One last thing, i was not speeding!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #58
Michaeljh2000
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3, 69 Vette, GSXR 1000

Seems like you reacted slowly, IMO. Just sayin'.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #59
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsih View Post
Sorry for no response, but i decided to clarify few things

GOOD FOR YOU IF YOU HAVE 278 posts, you think it makes you a bigger car enthousiast???
I never claimed to be a "bigger car enthusiast." Sorry if that's what I implied from my OP. At first glance, it just seemed sketch that you would be driving around filming with a camera phone. If the cam is mounted, that's good to know.

I hope you got whatever you intended from this thread.

Cheers and safe driving!

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #60
ducman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Never drove a van before, but from the van's point of view, was the op in van's blind spot?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #61
muccels
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93,C5,Tahoe,Gsxr750

observations

A few observations If I can. Good job on reflexes on avoiding the accident. It seems I'm constantly avoiding some kind of accident everyday!

The whole passing on the right has been over discussed already. Would I would like to point out you moved over to the right because the traffic stopped in the left lane. No problem with that as I do that all the time.

Driving though in the right lane is not the preferred lane to drive in when being taught defensive driving techniques. Why? Well they teach you to drive in the lane that has the least amount of hazards. In some cases the right lane maybe the less of the hazards but in your case it was the one with the most hazards! In your case it was the only lane not stopped so yeah it was your preferred lane but precautions need to be in place.Not sure how fast you were going. It may have looked faster then what it was because of stopped traffic. Being that said you should have slowed a bit in that lane. Why? First of all with the stopped traffic you know someone is going to want to jump in your same lane to get around other stopped cars. Yes your defensive techniques should make you look at that. Being that you had no out except braking, so slowing should be your next move. Next with the cars pulling out of driveways (blind ones at that) your likely to get struck by one of them (like the honda you pointed out). Not sure if you noticed or anyone else did but did you see the sign for crossing pedestrains? Also the signage on the ground for School CROSSING! Meaning kids in the area. Believe me if you hit and kill a child people will not care if you were going 5 miles over the limit more less 1 mile. People/kids stepping out in the street is a big hazard.Its great you stopped in time and didn't hit the van. I would have been more worried about the people on that corner which you would have been pushed into!

So not bagging on you just be careful how you drive in certain areas! Thanks for posting the video and being a sport on people hopefully givng good feedback. By no means am i a saint! I speed like everyone else just more so on the highway. I used to drive for a living so saw my share of idiots all the time. I still do drive for a living its just part of my job but not my whole job. I have so many endorsements on my license its crazy from car, motorcycle, ambulance, air brakes, haz endor, tanker, and last but not least commercial B Fire engine. Along with classes I have taken and have to keep taking to keep sharp. There is a basic program I wish the state made everyone take. Its called Smith system driving. Its really a basic class but I think it has so many good concepts that the public could use. Heres a basic one I wil share. Has to do with backing. Well the system says that you always place your vehicle when you can to drive straight out of where you parked. If you can't do that then they say back first meaning you back into a place if again you can. Why? Because so many people get into accidents backing. An example here in the bay area is a father just backed over his 2 year old son by accident and killed him. Truely sad.
Again great job on avoiding the accident. Just two more thoughts.. Imagine if you were texting or on the phone would you or anyone could have stopped in time. I say no..

Last edited by muccels; 12-27-2011 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: add
Appreciate 0