BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

02-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #45
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
You're scaring me. Are you really in investments? Tell me what you're buying, because I need to short it immediately.

Unlikely to reoccur or not, it's reality for me. Sweet! Alright, I'll play ball anyway. Lets assume the annualized rate of return for the S&P is around 8%. And no, I'm not paying capital gaiss because I'm not selling (You're not selling, right? The market is up, you see). And, yes, my lease payments are "sunk" just like your depreciation ($10k).

Ok, ok - scenario one, I pay $40k and make $18k in the market (on $70k), so I lose $22k, Scenario two, I pay $40k and make only $10k in the market (on $36k), so I lose $30k. Ouch and OUCH, right? I lose $10k and $20k more than you, over three years, right? Well, then I paid $500-800/month to rent my mode of transportation, which I needed anyway, when people are paying much, much more to finance. And its an M3, which is a pretty awesome rental if you ask me (but you're not asking me, you're the expert).

And, yeah, you should be concerned about hate. You just tried to compare apples to apples when really you're an orange because you bought at a significant discount. So, you cannot compare yourself to others that cannot buy wholesale, which most cannot, especially when you're trying to make the argument your method is better financially (sure, only to you, but you didn't disclose that). Clients get sold and burned by managers like you (?!) promising false, hypothetical returns all the time. No wonder this dude hates you:
$500 a month for an M3.. really now? ..Its hopeless..I tried...not very relastic financial outlook here. And the fact that I got a discount is totally relevant b/c its the total cash buying power that allows you to secure deep discounts..anyways Im done..enjoy pissing you lease money out the window..making BMW rich

Last edited by tibra1; 02-24-2012 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #46
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
$500 a month really now? ..Its hopeless..I tried...not very relastic financial outlook here. And the fact that I got a discount is totally relevant b/c its the total cash buying power that allows you to secure deep discounts..anyways Im done..enjoy pissing you lease money out the window..making BMW rich
Yes, $20k divided by 36mo is $550/mo. You can do math, yeah?

Yes, you enjoy making BMW rich too. You think you got your car for free?

And finally, yes, as a matter of fact I did say it is relevant. That's why it's an apples to oranges comparison. Without mentioning it up front, which you did not, you cannot claim its more cost effective, which is what you did. You're making no sense.

I leave you this, my friend:
Letters to words
Words to sentences
Sentences to paragraphs
Left to right
Top to bottom

It's called reading. It appears that and investment management are not your strong skills. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #47
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I am buying cars out right so I must be doing something correctly..GL to you as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #48
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Wow! These arguments were awesome!

OP, sorry your post got hijacked by these two but bringing it back to you, I just bought an 08 M sedan CPO and plan to use it as my DD as well. I am def concerned on its durability into the 100k mile mark. I bought it with only 23k miles and have put 3k miles on it already in a month with a smile on my face. My previous car was an infiniti G 35 and it never gave me any serious issues during 87k miles of original ownership. This is the first time I go previously owned on a financed car. Anyway, I plan to put 15k miles a year and had the same durability questions you do. I'll sit back n hope people get back to topic. ; )
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #49
enodr
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 07/2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da M3nace View Post
I am def concerned on its durability into the 100k mile mark.
Hi,

I have just sold my 996 Porsche Carrera 4S to buy a pre-owned 2008 M3 and was also concerned with reliability. I cannot confirm anything yet but I will try to provide more info when I will have my car to the mandatory tech control next week (mandatory by law for pre-owned cars, then every 2 years for cars older than 4 years).

Anyway there are lot of ads here in Europe for 2007+ M3 cars with more than 80.000 kms which is a good sign. And yet I have not seen any with a swapped engine (try to have a look at Porsche 996 / 997 ads and you will see load of them with changed engines, etc).

Those small things means a lot for me.

My 2cts.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #50
demonshin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

awesome thread! :P

I just purchased '08 m3 coupe with 46k miles on it, which I will be using as my daily driver. I was thinking about extended warranty. I got quoted 80k/3yr for $3,300. Is that a good price? I probably do 12k a year it seems tempting.

Last edited by demonshin; 03-07-2012 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #51
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da M3nace View Post
Wow! These arguments were awesome!

OP, sorry your post got hijacked by these two
Yeah, they should start a thread on that. Both so as not to clutter up this thread, and because it's been somewhat interesting as I'm planning my own payment strategy.

Part of my strategy has been to sell off some of my higher-growth investments and to stay liquid enough to pounce on any opportunities that might arise if, for instance: Spain defaults, war with Iran, or China's real estate bubble bursting causes their financial system to collapse. Nothings certain, except I'd be surprised if the S&P went up much more in 2012.

Quote:
I'll sit back n hope people get back to topic. ; )
So, what are the big ticket repair items that have been encountered so far?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #52
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
I tried to bring my M3 into the dealer for an oil change at 8k miles. He said they wont do an oil change until it hits 14k miles.
Just take it to The R's Tuning. They're in Irvine.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #53
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
Yesterday I stopped by a local racing shop. They had just hired a tech from a dealer who had just completed the entire suite of BMW certifications. I told him I had an 08 E90 M3 about to come off warranty and the first words that came out of his mouth were, "Get rid of it now." I was floored. I must have asked 5 or 6 times, "Really? Are you sure?" At first he thought I was talking about a regular old 3-series. After he realized I had the M, he admitted they put better quality components in, thought the magnesium engine block hadn't been proven out, the 6MT is better than the DCT - but still told me BMW makes all their cars now to require repalcement after 4-5 years.

It's an understatement to say I'm disappointed to hear what he had to say because I am just thrilled with how this car has been as my daily driver the past 3 years. I have 34K on the clock and it feels solid as the day I bought it. I never had a second thought about it before, but now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't trade up to a 12 or 13. Of course that means I'd be in a coupe... not my first choice simply because the B-pillar is in my blind spot on the E92. But I guess I could do ED. Hm. Trade-offs...

Anyhow, subscribed to this thread to see what other feedback comes in.
Who died and made this one tech/mechanic the authority?

Last edited by OC3; 03-31-2012 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #54
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok first of all those returns you listed are not likely to re-occur.

Assume an average return compounded for 3 yrs on $70K is more likely in the $10-$15K range

$40K on your lease thats a complete sunk cost

When you are doing an all cash deal on a car your negotiating power is greater..and I actually got my 2011 at wholesale $54K w 4K miles (Sticker MSRP $69k)

Worst case scenario depreciation for 3yrs...say 30% (and this is really alot I expect to recoupe alot more back due to condition and mileage)..I estimate after 3 yrs I can get 40-$45K no problem

So at the end of three yrs..you spent $40K as you can see I estimated cap gains on $70K ..in reality it should be $54K b/c this is what I spent...still I will leave it at $70K..so if you calculate all:

I lost ~$10-15K in depreciation and lost another $10K in cap gains..so say $20 -25K total
You spent $40K on you lease

And I dont have to worry about end of lease date or answering to a finance company..I sell the car at my lesiure.

It really all boils down to having the capital reserves..nothing wrong with it if you dont and choose to go another route my only point was to state my method saves money in the long run
Are you Persian54's twin?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #55
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Are you Persian54's twin?
Huh?.does he buy cars outright too?..IDK ..but if you dont have the capital reserves to buy an M3 free and clear.. we have nothing to discuss...

jking
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #56
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Tibra has arelady been confirmed a clown on this site as all his other posts.... Anyways, if your in finance and a baller, why drive a 93 eagle talon?? DSM some of the worst cars made (i have had about 6 turbo talons/mitsu and EVOS)... To your point of buying outright, you're forgetting one thing as well. the money you spend up front can be invested to actually earn income. Considering today's intereste rates, I wil glady finance all day long w/ my credit union and invest the difference in a small interesting bearing account. Makes much more sense. I have daily driven every M3 I have owned. If you're gonna spend the money, drive it. Its' not some exotic, it's a BMW and meant to be driven. You can laugh all day, but when I drive by you in your eagle talon I'll beep and wave
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #57
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Huh?.does he buy cars outright too?..IDK ..but if you dont have the capital reserves to buy an M3 free and clear.. we have nothing to discuss...

jking

says they guy with the old DSM
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #58
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
says they guy with the old DSM
Why not? its perfectly simple car and easy to work on...plus having a shit box is very usable in NY..nothing wrong with have a work car and play car..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #59
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Tibra has arelady been confirmed a clown on this site as all his other posts.... Anyways, if your in finance and a baller, why drive a 93 eagle talon?? DSM some of the worst cars made (i have had about 6 turbo talons/mitsu and EVOS)... To your point of buying outright, you're forgetting one thing as well. the money you spend up front can be invested to actually earn income. Considering today's intereste rates, I wil glady finance all day long w/ my credit union and invest the difference in a small interesting bearing account. Makes much more sense. I have daily driven every M3 I have owned. If you're gonna spend the money, drive it. Its' not some exotic, it's a BMW and meant to be driven. You can laugh all day, but when I drive by you in your eagle talon I'll beep and wave
Right..for those who want to see who the real clown is.

You can see here where this bafoon suggests running a tune will reduce smells from being catless and his hopless obsession with AFRz as an explanation for everything..a well reputable tuner chimed in disproving everything he said and confirming everything I had said. (post #66)

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=667406&page=1

I love how noobs come in here trying to start something with no basis in fact...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #60
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Right..for those who want to see who the real clown is.

You can see here where this bafoon suggests running a tune will reduce smells from being catless and his hopless obsession with AFR..a well reputable tuner chime in and confirmed everything I said on the thread.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=667406&page=1

I love how noobs come in here trying to start something with no basis in fact...

keep your nose in your finance work, as obviously you don't know shit about cars. And BTW, I built a few Talons that made over 400hp and my last EVO, built by me, made @ 400hp with simple bolt-ons and went 12.2 in the 1/4.. this was YEARS AGO.. what have you done?? Other than chime is w/ useless shit. And yes, a quality tune will "help" a noxious smell, I didn't say eliminate it. Keep listening to the ever popular tuners and what others do as if they "know it all", I know from first hand experience. Aren't you the guy who climbed out his trunk?? lol ..
You talk like you make big bucks, go buy a real car to DD
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #61
m3an
Banned
Rep

and I my comment about AFRs was directed to you, the real bafoon, who apparently owned a turbo car yet still doesn't know that a turbo car runs much richer than a NA car. I used the AFR as a simplistic illustrative tool. You never responded.. don't call me a noob. I have been around longer than you think.. keep to you DSM dd and finance world lol ..

Sorry for the thread jack OP>.

to your concerns, M cars and BMWs are very reliable. I have seen many e46 w/ 150-200k and my e46 m3 had 90k when I sold it, and I don't hear too many stories re: the new chassis. Keep in mind, as cars age, more people will come to a forum looking for general advice as the warranties are expired. Also, no one posts, "hey my car runs great!", you only read the negative on-line, so take everything you see and hear w/ a grain of salt. Good Luck!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #62
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
and I my comment about AFRs was directed to you, the real bafoon, who apparently owned a turbo car yet still doesn't know that a turbo car runs much richer than a NA car. I used the AFR as a simplistic illustrative tool. You never responded.. don't call me a noob. I have been around longer than you think.. keep to you DSM dd and finance world lol ..

Sorry for the thread jack OP>.

to your concerns, M cars and BMWs are very reliable. I have seen many e46 w/ 150-200k and my e46 m3 had 90k when I sold it, and I don't hear too many stories re: the new chassis. Keep in mind, as cars age, more people will come to a forum looking for general advice as the warranties are expired. Also, no one posts, "hey my car runs great!", you only read the negative on-line, so take everything you see and hear w/ a grain of salt. Good Luck!!
You obviously have some kind of problem with me as all you do is stalk my posts and try to call me out.. but you always fail..careful noob..dont get banned now.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #63
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This thread Click shows how much you know about cars... not much Im afraid..I let the audience decide..

dude give it up.. you suggested Manhattan scent additives!! ha. Again, isn't there a finance forum you should be on giving bad advice. Keep listening to the masses... Like I said, shit started before, when I gave my opinion. I have nothing to gain on here. And BTW, I still have NO CEL w/ a catless setup, put together by me. Go talk to a TOONER and get some of your knowledge.

And yes, I still laugh at your DD DSM!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #64
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
dude give it up.. you suggested Manhattan scent additives!! ha. Again, isn't there a finance forum you should be on giving bad advice. Keep listening to the masses... Like I said, shit started before, when I gave my opinion. I have nothing to gain on here. And BTW, I still have NO CEL w/ a catless setup, put together by me. Go talk to a TOONER and get some of your knowledge.

And yes, I still laugh at your DD DSM!
See this is what I mean ..i guess when u ha have sub-200 posts ...you can't yet discern a sarcastic post..dont worry it will come

As for my credentials/ your credentials.. Im not saying I have built cars or that I am master mechanic..just pointing out your inaccurate statements.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #65
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Wow, I just read this 3 pages and have to say there were some very good posts here and some average ones.

The only thing I could add is one of you guys says sales tax. Keep in mind some states, such as Oregon, don't have it.
0%!! That being said, the price you see on the window is the price you pay +$50 for tags. Thats it, end of story. So I cannot calculate that extra $3200. lol Other than that great posts.

OP: I am at 49000 miles and CPO till 100,000 and only issue I had was the rear taillamp got twitchy in very cold conditions. Dealer looked at it and said it was a bulb but it came back and I took pictures of it and they said it could be a wire issue from the 20 degree weather. Hasn't happened since.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #66
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT

Alright guys, let's get this thread back on topic. It's a good topic and deserves a clean thread.

If you want to debate the wisdom (financial or otherwise) of driving a E90/E92/E93 M3 into high mileage territory, please do so in a different thread. Some of us just want to know what we're getting into, so that we can make that decision for ourselves.
Appreciate 0