BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

07-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #67
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

I think they are referring to throttle response when they say the m3 is more responsive than a 911. That's the only imaginable way it's more responsive.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #68
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
+1000000000000

In stock form any porsche blows away our m3s in terms of responsiveness let alone the other myriad of aspects as you so nicely point out. Some people just can't get their own bias out of their way.

There's a reason the 911 is the best race car ever built and why in alms it has spanked bmw for years and years and has more wins than other other manuf by a large margin.
are you honestly accusing others of having a bias?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #69
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
I think the throttle response in the 911 is just fine.
Depend on which 911 were talking about. My 2010 gt3 had a very lazy response to throttle inputs.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #70
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
+1000000000000

In stock form any porsche blows away our m3s in terms of responsiveness let alone the other myriad of aspects as you so nicely point out. Some people just can't get their own bias out of their way.

There's a reason the 911 is the best race car ever built and why in alms it has spanked bmw for years and years and has more wins than other other manuf by a large margin.
Dude, why do you even own an M3?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #71
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

I test drove a 911 GTS and it blew me away... I wanted to trade in my M3 for it but I knew it would be a bad financial decision lol
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #72
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmist222777 View Post
i just need to drive someones FI to make a decision on that... i have heard that it sucks for track use.. and honestly, if its not for track, then whats it for?
I agree with this 100 percent. FI in this car cannot be fully used on a race track. I never drove supercharged M3 on a track, but know 2 ppl who removed their superchargers in order to continue tracking their M3s.
So, what is it for?
Porshe makes great cars, no doubt, but they are overpriced to make them exclusive.
I was going against GT3RS4 the other day at the track. That car puts to shame any M3, supercharged or not. Have you seen a new GT3?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #73
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Some folks on this forum will beg the differ... CBS (Chris) tracks his M3 with the 550 kit and is a monster on the circuit.

The SC kits are awesome for everyday driving, you don't need a track to enjoy them.

Porsche doesn't price them high to make them exclusive, they are expensive for sure, but that isn't the reason.

Also, what is a GT3RS4?
Not sure if serious - GT3 RS 4.0, I'm assuming.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #74
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Some folks on this forum will beg the differ... CBS (Chris) tracks his M3 with the 550 kit and is a monster on the circuit.

The SC kits are awesome for everyday driving, you don't need a track to enjoy them.

Porsche doesn't price them high to make them exclusive, they are expensive for sure, but that isn't the reason.

Also, what is a GT3RS4?
How can you enjoy the SC kit for everyday driving without crossing the speed limit by a lot?
So, why Porsche makes them so expensive?
Also, GT3 RS 4.0 is a special street legal car made by Porsche that is a monster on the race track.

One more thing. Feel free to come to any road course in the North East.
I bet i will take you out in your supercharged M3 with my street 135i car.

Edit. I felt some sarcasm bordering with disrespect in your responce to my post, that is the reason of my tone
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #75
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
Not sure if serious - GT3 RS 4.0, I'm assuming.
To be fair, I've never seen the rs 4.0 referred to like that either
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #76
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
How can you enjoy the SC kit for everyday driving without crossing the speed limit by a lot?
So, why Porsche makes them so expensive?
Also, GT3 RS 4.0 is a special street legal car made by Porsche that is a monster on the race track.

One more thing. Feel free to come to any road course in the North East.
I bet i will take you out in your supercharged M3 with my street 135i car.

Edit. I felt some sarcasm bordering with disrespect in your responce to my post, that is the reason of my tone
Given equal drivers a 911 is faster than an m3 and an m3 is faster than your 135i. That's the way it is.

911 are more expensive because they are outstanding performance machines.

You should drive one on a track, it's an incredible experence. I love my turbo on the track, it's a beast. I'd imagine the gt3 and new 991s is a monster as well. Blows away the m3. Then again, it's not as good as a dd and more expensive than an m3, so they really are cars with slightly different focuses
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #77
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
+1000000000000

And at the end of the day the Porsche lacks looks that blow me away. Nissan GTR is in the same boat. Good power, not awesome power and a 5/10 in the looks department. Not a car I would consider, but hey to each their own.

Porsche Carrera GT is a different animal.

I need both performance and looks.

Ohhh and a decent interior....

Last edited by Endless619; 07-20-2013 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #78
OTJeebus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3 M8cGC

Funny I had the exact opposite reaction when I drove a couple e9x M3s then went and bought a 991 c2s.

Last edited by OTJeebus; 07-20-2013 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #79
07BSM328
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 Fire Orange

I had a 996 c4s before the M3 and I really miss the 911. It was more raw. As fast, prob not but def more road feel and steering is better than anything I've ever owned. All this electric assist steering feels like gran turismo
12 E92 M3 Fire Orange not subtle at all
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #80
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Who seriously cross shops an m3 and a 991? This is a ridiculous comparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #81
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Sorry for trolling, but I thought I add few notes...

I have owned several BMWs, none M3, and couple of P-cars to include a 987S and a 997.2 GT3 now. Also interesting to note a recent poll at Rennlist amongst GT owners show that nearly 80% came from M3s.

Although anyone can appreciate the comments about P-cars being expensive or not represent enough value for some people, I think couple things are being missed in this discussion: First, the price of any P-car depends heavily on options. If you try to price it by selecting too many options that really don't add value besides personalization, the prices climb easily above $120K. However, most owners keep their P-cars lightly optioned as the base car has more than sufficient luxuries, including the base leather. The only options you may want to spend money on and that also return value during resale are performance options. So, with that a 'nicely optioned' 991 911S is about $105K, I think that number has significant impact on "value" and that does not include usual discounts of $5-7K from dealer.

Second, the value equation is quite different for most owners than what is obvious on paper. A P-car has reliability and durability that few cars achieve. Particularly BMW is unfortunately not getting close enough in this regard IMHO. All of my BMWs had rattles after 20K miles, all leaked water from the driver's window after 30K miles, all had its interior trim fall off due to glue wearing out over time. I had no exceptions. A Porsche does not rattle even at 100K miles, it does not overheat, brakes don't fail and perform better than most performance cars. You don't have to modify a P-car to go to the track and be fast, safe and stay reliable, not even the brakes. And I am not talking about just GT cars, even Boxster and Cayman are built that way. When you put in six figures into a car, you expect these things, it is normal for P-car owners, but not for many other marques.

My BMWs never lasted enough on the track on any given session that I could really enjoy them. I could not even get enough camber to save the tires. From E36 to the last of E46 M3s had heat related issues, sub frame issues, brake issues still persist, electronic took over so much so that it is nearly impossible to work a BMW yourself anymore. For a P-car owner, at least a good portion of them, it is important to be able to work on your own car to at least change oil, brake fluid, spark plugs, etc. I do not know if you can do those things on a BMW any more.

I sold my Cayman S at 81K miles with 23K of them track miles. It had absolutely no issues when I sold it and I did not have to modify a bit of it expect adding additional brake cooling for my sanity. My 2010 GT3 now has 32K miles, it is my daily driver and has 10K track miles on it, no modifications. There are very few cars that can stand against it on the track. This weekend I had multiple 30-min track sessions at a heat index of 110 degrees, not a single issue, no P-car had any heat related issues at all that I know of, but most owners did, few were close to fainting in the car, it was so hot; I ran with the A/C on to cool a little more. Try that on a BMW... I doubt it would work.

I think most people that have not owned a P-car do not realize that much of the 'value' on the tangibles are not on a configuration sheet and won't be realized until you own one, any model. Although I have huge respect for BMW for what it stood for me in the years past, I have only one left in my garage and once that is gone, I don't think I'll have one again even though they still make attractive cars in one shape or another.

And also, how many other cars are available for which you can purchase a roll cage, carbon fiber race seats, fire extinguisher, etc. as options and still get to keep your warranty?

Cheers,

Last edited by FTS; 07-21-2013 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #82
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 - AW

Quote:
Who seriously cross shops an m3 and a 991? This is a ridiculous comparison.
Finally someone with some sense. I own an M3 because I can't afford a Porsche that I would want. They are not even in the same league. If someone thinks so then please trade me my 2013 for any 2013 911, of course car for car. . I will gladly give you the superior car if you think it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #83
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Thx for the perspective. Also, ppl fail to consider that the resale value of Porsches is much higher, so if you plan to sell the car eventually, your total cost of ownership may not be as high as you think given your exit will have a higher value % wise vs your purchase price.

As for people who said that the P-cars and M's aren't cross-shopped, I actually don't think this to be the case for older BMW M3/M5 owners (35-40+) (as confirmed by the GT3 guys coming from M3s does not surprise me at all). I would have gone Porsche if I didn't have kids and once they are older, I probably will given the direction BMW is going in. I actually have a friend who had a GT3 and sold it and got a 3 series 335 because of the kids/practicality issue and the GT3 on Bay Area roads is a terrible daily driver and he had it damaged while parking several times. With the M3, its the most refined, sports car like 4 passenger sedan available today -- it's not a sports car, but a sedan that's very capable and that's something that M3 owners should realize.

As far as on the track, I've only seen problems with 997 and earlier TTs with respect to heat issues after several laps. But the flat-6 engines seem pretty bulletproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post

I have owned several BMWs, none M3, and couple of P-cars to include a 987S and a 997.2 GT3 now. Also interesting to note a recent poll at Rennlist amongst GT owners show that nearly 80% came from M3s.

Although anyone can appreciate the comments about P-cars being expensive or not represent enough value for some people, I think couple things are being missed in this discussion: First, the price of any P-car depends heavily on options. If you try to price it by selecting too many options that really don't add value besides personalization, the prices climb easily above $120K. However, most owners keep their P-cars lightly optioned as the base car has more than sufficient luxuries, including the base leather. The only options you may want to spend money on and that also return value during resale are performance options. So, with that a 'nicely optioned' 991 911S is about $105K, I think that number has significant impact on "value" and that does not include usual discounts of $5-7K from dealer.

Second, the value equation is quite different for most owners than what is obvious on paper. A P-car has reliability and durability that few cars achieve. Particularly BMW is unfortunately not getting close enough in this regard IMHO. All of my BMWs had rattles after 20K miles, all leaked water from the driver's window after 30K miles, all had its interior trim fall off due to glue wearing out over time. I had no exceptions. A Porsche does not rattle even at 100K miles, it does not overheat, brakes don't fail and perform better than most performance cars. You don't have to modify a P-car to go to the track and be fast, safe and stay reliable, not even the brakes. And I am not talking about just GT cars, even Boxster and Cayman are built that way. When you put in six figures into a car, you expect these things, it is normal for P-car owners, but not for many other marques.

My BMWs never lasted enough on the track on any given session that I could really enjoy them. I could not even get enough camber to save the tires. From E36 to the last of E46 M3s had heat related issues, sub frame issues, brake issues still persist, electronic took over so much so that it is nearly impossible to work a BMW yourself anymore. For a P-car owner, at least a good portion of them, it is important to be able to work on your own car to at least change oil, brake fluid, spark plugs, etc. I do not know if you can do those things on a BMW any more.

I sold my Cayman S at 81K miles with 23K of them track miles. It had absolutely no issues when I sold it and I did not have to modify a bit of it expect adding additional brake cooling for my sanity. My 2010 GT3 now has 32K miles, it is my daily driver and has 10K track miles on it, no modifications. There are very few cars that can stand against it on the track. This weekend I had multiple 30-min track sessions at a heat index of 110 degrees, not a single issue, no P-car had any heat related issues at all that I know of, but most owners did, few were close to fainting in the car, it was so hot; I ran with the A/C on to cool a little more. Try that on a BMW... I doubt it would work.

I think most people that have not owned a P-car do not realize that much of the 'value' on the tangibles are not on a configuration sheet and won't be realized until you own one, any model. Although I have huge respect for BMW for what it stood for me in the years past, I have only one left in my garage and once that is gone, I don't think I'll have one again even though they still make attractive cars in one shape or another.

And also, how many other cars are available for which you can purchase a roll cage, carbon fiber race seats, fire extinguisher, etc. as options and still get to keep your warranty?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #84
OTJeebus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3 M8cGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post

Cheers,
Good post. I think for a lot of us cost also stops playing as large of a role and you can get what you want. For a lot of us that ends up being a porsche.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #85
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Thx for the perspective. Also, ppl fail to consider that the resale value of Porsches is much higher, so if you plan to sell the car eventually, your total cost of ownership may not be as high as you think given your exit will have a higher value % wise vs your purchase price.

As for people who said that the P-cars and M's aren't cross-shopped, I actually don't think this to be the case for older BMW M3/M5 owners (35-40+) (as confirmed by the GT3 guys coming from M3s does not surprise me at all). I would have gone Porsche if I didn't have kids and once they are older, I probably will given the direction BMW is going in. I actually have a friend who had a GT3 and sold it and got a 3 series 335 because of the kids/practicality issue and the GT3 on Bay Area roads is a terrible daily driver and he had it damaged while parking several times. With the M3, its the most refined, sports car like 4 passenger sedan available today -- it's not a sports car, but a sedan that's very capable and that's something that M3 owners should realize.

As far as on the track, I've only seen problems with 997 and earlier TTs with respect to heat issues after several laps. But the flat-6 engines seem pretty bulletproof.
An m3 and a 991 are not natural competitors and are not remotely in the same price class. When you buy an m3, you are buying a great car - but a car with the compromises inherent in a 3-series sedan base. You might as well compare it to an r8 or GTR.

Could I afford a 991? Yes, I suppose so - but it would not be a responsible decision at this point in my life. But I don't fool myself into thinking that I bought something similar. Accept the m3 for what it is - the greatest sports sedan ever made.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #86
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep

Never said they are similar cars, I just said that I believe that there are people who could buy both cars and would love both cars, but decide to do one of them instead. Also, the p-cars are better cars, no question about it. Maybe cross-shopped isn't the right terminology, but these are cars that I know that people within a certain demographic consider and have bought/sold (I personally know several of them). Not to mention all the old 997 and 996 comparo tests in the US and Europe pitting them against the M3, so yes they are viewed as competitors or quasi-competitors (although somewhat unequal)

Quote:
An m3 and a 991 are not natural competitors and are not remotely in the same price class. When you buy an m3, you are buying a great car - but a car with the compromises inherent in a 3-series sedan base. You might as well compare it to an r8 or GTR.

Could I afford a 991? Yes, I suppose so - but it would not be a responsible decision at this point in my life. But I don't fool myself into thinking that I bought something similar. Accept the m3 for what it is - the greatest sports sedan ever made.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #87
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
An m3 and a 991 are not natural competitors and are not remotely in the same price class. Comparing cars with such different design objectives and price points is, frankly, stupid. When you buy an m3, you are buying a great car - but a car with the compromises inherent in a 3-series sedan base. You might as well compare it to an r8 or GTR. It's just idiotic.

Yeah the M3 is not even a sports car, it would totally be stupid to compare it to a 911, GT-R or R8!!

Last edited by Alex07M3; 07-21-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #88
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep

A few more..and to think that the M3 actually won some of these, although more from the perspective it was the best all-around-er

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/carg...a_and_c63.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Yeah the M3 is not even a sports car, it would totally be stupid to compare it to a 911, GT-R or R8!!

Appreciate 0