BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

08-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
jreasner
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Coupe

DIY Guide for Installing BMW Pedals??

I tried searching for a guide for the pedals but couldn't find one. I'm looking for guidance on how to install the BMW accessory pedals, I have a DCT if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
If you are good with a drill, it's fairly straight-forward. They do come with adhesive drill guide paper templates to stick on your pedals as you drill. The worst part is having to work under the dash-- do it on a cool day. Picking your drill sizes, start small and work up to not overshoot the hole size. The steel brake pedal will be much harder to drill through than the plastic gas pedal. Also, because the accelerator pedal is only plastic, be very careful to use a small enough drill bit so that the self-tapping screws provided have plenty of material to bite into. I wish I had written down the bit sizes, but I did not. I also used a center punch to ding the metal before drilling. The hex locknuts are for the backside of the brake (and clutch) pedal mounting screws, since the accelerator uses blind self-tappers.

One tip which could help prevent drifting off center on the paper templates is to use the pedal itself as a guide after the first hole is drilled (and a screw inserted through the pedal cover into that hole). If you do this, it would probably be wise to protect the new pedal cover from possible drill damage by covering its top surface with plastic or vinyl tape. If you keep adding a new screw through the cover plate into the pedal each time you drill a hole, you will avoid being out of alignment for the next hole being drilled. One would normally do this kind of work on a drill press, but obviously that won't work unless you remove the entire brake pedal assembly!

The only other things to keep in mind is when drilling the steel brake pedal, a dull bit won't cut it. Start with a fresh set of drill bits. I also laid down paper to catch most of the metal filings, since they can embed in the carpet and resist being vacuumed out.

The other gotcha I ran into is the rubber inserts fit extremely tight to the aluminum pedals-- needed to debur the pedal slightly with a round file, and wet the rubber pad with soapy water to help get it through the openings.

Last edited by Beemdog; 08-15-2014 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreasner View Post
I tried searching for a guide for the pedals but couldn't find one. I'm looking for guidance on how to install the BMW accessory pedals, I have a DCT if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help.
Here's a video guide, hope this helps.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
jreasner
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Coupe

Thanks for the help/info guys. Anyone else have anything helpful? I'm going to make this my project for today.
Appreciate 0