BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #1
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E90 M3 6spd

Soot on rear bumper and garage floor, with test pipes, normal?

I started noticing soot on the garage floor and on the bumper after each drive about 8 months ago. I had a tune, test pipes and megan racing axleback. 4 months ago I spun a rod and replaced the engine with a reman from bmw. the new engine is on stock 241e firmware(no tune) with test pipes and megan axleback exhaust. I still get soot on the bumper and floor. coils were swapped from old engine. spark plugs, o2 sensors, low pressure fuel sensor, fuel breather valve and injectors are new. has anyone else experienced this with a similar setup? Its bad enough where I can wash the car, go for a 2 minute drive around the block and then see what looks like dust/soot all over the back of the car. I don't remember this happening the whole time. I had the same setup for over a year before i started noticing it. I tried different gas stations. I always fill up with 93 from shell currently. My car is lemanns blue and I can easily notice it. My main concern is that it seems to be running rich, due to the amount of soot I am noticing, which i am wondering could have been caused by coils and I am afraid that is what killed my old engine. If it could possibly be the coils I want to replace them. Other than the soot, i do not have any backfires, engine seems to be running good and smooth, same as the old engine before it spun a rod.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #2
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3s65 View Post
I started noticing soot on the garage floor and on the bumper after each drive about 8 months ago. I had a tune, test pipes and megan racing axleback. 4 months ago I spun a rod and replaced the engine with a reman from bmw. the new engine is on stock 241e firmware(no tune) with test pipes and megan axleback exhaust. I still get soot on the bumper and floor. coils were swapped from old engine. spark plugs, o2 sensors, low pressure fuel sensor, fuel breather valve and injectors are new. has anyone else experienced this with a similar setup? Its bad enough where I can wash the car, go for a 2 minute drive around the block and then see what looks like dust/soot all over the back of the car. I don't remember this happening the whole time. I had the same setup for over a year before i started noticing it. I tried different gas stations. I always fill up with 93 from shell currently. My car is lemanns blue and I can easily notice it. My main concern is that it seems to be running rich, due to the amount of soot I am noticing, which i am wondering could have been caused by coils and I am afraid that is what killed my old engine. If it could possibly be the coils I want to replace them. Other than the soot, i do not have any backfires, engine seems to be running good and smooth, same as the old engine before it spun a rod.
Full Akrapovic and a supercharger for me.
First picture is of the exhaust around town, it looks slobbering rich to me.
The second picture was taken at the track.

My rear bumper gets dusty immediately (less than 2 miles) after a wash, but I couldn't definitively say it is all exhaust.
Attached Images

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:22 PM   #3
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E90 M3 6spd

Thanks for the reply. that looks similar to what I see, however, I would think that it is mostly from the exhaust because I do not see it anywhere else on the car, only the back of the car and mostly the bumper, tail pipes, Etc. I was thinking of getting BMW logger or inpa or something and pulling the AFR, however I do not know what is normal and what is out of range. It maybe something a tuner could help me decipher.
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      03-03-2021, 11:50 PM   #4
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep

For my car, I actually thought it was just dirty dusty stuff from the road billowing up behind the car and landing on the horizontal parts of the rear of the car?

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 01:21 AM   #5
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Back of my car looks like it's been through a dust storm after long drives. Test pipes and supercharged.

It would get dirty like that when stock, just not a quickly.
      03-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #6
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep

With primary cats deleted, I guess it wouldn't surprise me if there is increased soot.

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #7
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
When I first purchased my vehicle, I noticed that these cars have horrible backdraft and wake dynamics on the tail end. I haven't seen a fluid dynamics chart (just because I haven't looked one up, but I'm sure they exist) but after owning mine for many years and trying multiple exhausts, it's just the nature of the aero dynamics and our wake profile.

Carry a bottle of your favorite shine spray and a new rag after long trips, only way I've found to combat it thus far, sorry!

-Duke
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 (original owner)

I have had mine since new, first thing I noticed after the drive home from the dealer.
Appreciate 0