BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

09-09-2010, 02:10 AM   #23
jacobe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaSai.M3 View Post
FAIL!

and damn, no pics
A sunroof over a CF roof. The General Mgr. at that dealership must be over 70 years old. lol It's not a frickin Buick.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #24
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

No EDC?? FAIL
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #25
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

great car with a great color
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #26
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

^stupid price tho
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 04:09 AM   #27
lhbf82
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E92 ZCP

Is yellow a special edition like the Frozen Gray? Saw one a couple weeks ago in Vancouver and was confused. :-P
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #28
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhbf82 View Post
Is yellow a special edition like the Frozen Gray? Saw one a couple weeks ago in Vancouver and was confused. :-P
no, it's not a special edition like the frozen gray. it is however available as a special order item via BMW Individual for about a 5k markup.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #29
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

doesn't look as good as it does on the e46..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #30
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
doesn't look as good as it does on the e46..
dakar is an e36 color.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #31
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Chances are this was ordered by some asshat who ended up loosing his deposit, or just straight backed out. I always read about people complaining that they have to put a large down on a special order car like this, backouts are why.

I think the car looks damn good, unique color, good touch with the accenting black pieces, ect. I completely agree the dealership is retarded though if they ordered this. They are now just hoping that some one with less brains (and a need to be gawked at) then money will scoop this up, "because it looks so cool!!!".
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 01:48 AM   #32
henryyxyu
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: YXZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
Chances are this was ordered by some asshat who ended up loosing his deposit, or just straight backed out. I always read about people complaining that they have to put a large down on a special order car like this, backouts are why.
+1. I remember my SA telling me how some guy ordered a ruby black (I think? something black) M3 and ended up not buying it. Had the hardest time trying to sell it because of that 5k paintjob markup on top of the dealer markup, plus it was a stripped car I think? can't really remember the details.

Anyway, The Dakar looks pretty nice! I personally wouldn't drive it, but atleast it isn't exactly an eyesore like those neon green chargers. IMO it needs

1. the CF roofs to compliment all the black trims
2. the black chrome exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 01:53 AM   #33
henryyxyu
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: YXZ

BTW, whats the online platform? (I would circle it, but MS paint isn't working for me...its near the bottom of the list)

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 08:19 AM   #34
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I laughed a little when I saw the black kidney grills for almost $400...
      09-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #35
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
Not sure if I would get tired of the color over time
I'm sure I would get tired of it. Also, as for the moniker of "boy racer" that floats around ever so often on this forum, that's what you'd have if it's yellow....

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #36
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Chances are this was ordered by some asshat who ended up loosing his deposit, or just straight backed out.
Nope. It was ordered intentionally as stock for the showroom.
      09-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #37
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryyxyu View Post
BTW, whats the online platform? (I would circle it, but MS paint isn't working for me...its near the bottom of the list)

Online Platform is part of the enhancement to the new iDrive. Online platform allows Mobile Office, if you have a compatible blackberry, you can read emails and text messages on your iDrive or have them read to you by the iDrive. There's some other features too you can see here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ticle=overview
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #38
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
Nope. It was ordered intentionally as stock for the showroom.
If this is true then it is a pretty ballsy move on whatever employee chose to do that.

As mentioned, someone will buy it. Someone who wants to be noticed, isn't into performance, and just cares about looks. Im just surprised that its not a vert
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #39
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
If this is true then it is a pretty ballsy move on whatever employee chose to do that.

As mentioned, someone will buy it. Someone who wants to be noticed, isn't into performance, and just cares about looks. Im just surprised that its not a vert
It's true. I know the inventory manager. I won't say who said it should be ordered other than it wasn't the inventory manager.
      09-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #40
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
It's true. I know the inventory manager. I won't say who said it should be ordered other than it wasn't the inventory manager.
Well since you know the inventory manager... please pass along this message to him:

good luck selling that car anywhere near that price.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #41
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
.....IMO southbay ruined this car with a lot of gaudy aftermarket fluff that they're using to justify their 78k price tag......
I don't see any "aftermaket fluff" as you put it. The CF Performance parts such as mirror caps, splitters, spoiler, kidney grills etc. are all items most here on the forum would want anyway and tastefully done at that. I think of 'fluff' as scotch gaurd, paint protection, LoJack, pinstriping, among other things dealers do that have no value to me. Granted they are charging a premium, but hey it's a dealership, should'nt surprise anyone.
      09-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #42
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

if you don't think that's fluff, i don't know what to tell you. fluff for most people is anything the dealer adds to increase his profit margin. whether its a pinstripe or a splitter is of no consequence. you're being forced into buying something that you could get yourself for much cheaper. that's fluff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
I don't see any "aftermaket fluff" as you put it. The CF Performance parts such as mirror caps, splitters, spoiler, kidney grills etc. are all items most here on the forum would want anyway and tastefully done at that. I think of 'fluff' as scotch gaurd, paint protection, LoJack, pinstriping, among other things dealers do that have no value to me. Granted they are charging a premium, but hey it's a dealership, should'nt surprise anyone.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #43
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
if you don't think that's fluff, i don't know what to tell you. fluff for most people is anything the dealer adds to increase his profit margin. whether its a pinstripe or a splitter is of no consequence. you're being forced into buying something that you could get yourself for much cheaper. that's fluff.
You are saying that there is no difference between pinstriping/paint protection and BMW performance CF spiltters? No one is FORCING you to buy anything as you say. You offer to buy the car for whatever price you think is fair and whatever the dealer is willing to sell it for. It's a simple concept really.

The dealer obviously is not catering to someone like you(or me for that matter). They know they have a fairly limited unique car and they want to maximize thier profit. If the car sits there for 6mos I'm sure they will have realized that maybe they oversetimated the potential/theoretical demand for this car. Keep in mind, they are looking for ONE specific buyer, not 10 to fight over this car. I garauntee there is someone out there with the money who will but it though.
      09-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #44
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
You are saying that there is no difference between pinstriping/paint protection and BMW performance CF spiltters? No one is FORCING you to buy anything as you say. You offer to buy the car for whatever price you think is fair and whatever the dealer is willing to sell it for. It's a simple concept really.

The dealer obviously is not catering to someone like you(or me for that matter). They know they have a fairly limited unique car and they want to maximize thier profit. If the car sits there for 6mos I'm sure they will have realized that maybe they oversetimated the potential/theoretical demand for this car. Keep in mind, they are looking for ONE specific buyer, not 10 to fight over this car. I garauntee there is someone out there with the money who will but it though.
The point isn't whether you CAN offer lower. Obviously you CAN; everyone can. The point is that the dealership has added a lot of aftermarket options for the purpose of marking them up by a factor of 200% if not more. The addition of unnecessary items is the fluff. They're fluffing the price up.

That stuff could have been left off, so that ANY buyer who really DID want them, could go about getting them from BMW parts himself, and paying a more fair price (or hell, if he's cool with it, paying the ridiculous price that Southbay is charging). But at least that way the buyer is being given an option. Now, any buyer who is interested in getting that car, regardless of whether they're interested in all that fluff, is going to have to pay the price, because southbay bmw sure as hell isn't taking those parts off for free. Southbay did this for a very specific reason... to rake someone over the coals who wants Dakar Yellow badly enough.

If you don't think the addition of unneccessary items priced at a huge markup that someone could individually pick up themselves, is fluff, then I don't know what to tell you. Whether it's a 3M coat, or a pinstripe, or a splitter or a kidney grill, its all the same to the person who doesn't want them. It's all fluff. And I'll tell you, even enthusiasts, such as those from this board, who like stuff like that, wouldn't be caught dead paying those prices. So who is Southbay really appealing to here? It's the ultra-affluent, ultra-impulsive shopper who doesn't know a thing about aftermarket part value that they're appealing to. And so few of those come in that if they hold onto that price, they'll be holding that car well into next year. Alternatively they can sell the car quicker, but will have to take a huge chunk off of their asking price to make it move - at which point its not really fluff anymore is it? Now it's just free (or extremely cheap) aftermarket add ons.

- esquire

Last edited by esquire; 09-22-2010 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0