BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

So, which muffler sounds the most like no muffler at all?

I just had to share, and I realize this thread is worthless without video (or worthless period) but I just dropped the stock muffler and drove around for a while. Damn these things sound awesome uncorked. I couldn't understand why all you nutjobs out there with catless exhausts would put up with the volume until now, what an incredible-sounding exhaust note. Dare I say I like it better than the S85? I better not, somebody will try to cut me. The downshifts were about the sexiest car sound I've ever heard, and I've been to a lot of racetracks over the years.

If every interior panel didn't rattle with the windows up, I might consider buying a stock exhaust and chopping the muffler off, and adding a couple turndowns to the end. Cutouts would be fun but I have one on my truck and after a while they start to be a little bit unreliable.

Interesting side note, the E90 M3 exhaust is one of the first car parts I've ever encountered which is MORE difficult to remove than to install. Those hangers are lame. I ended up using a pair of channel locks and a 6mm 1/4" drive socket to push the rubber hangers off the studs, that worked pretty well and kept the center section of the hanger supported so it wouldn't break.
      09-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
*Nod.* *Shrug.*

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426462

Seeing what's available on the market as of right now, this is probably closest to what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
*Nod.* *Shrug.*

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426462

Seeing what's available on the market as of right now, this is probably closest to what you're looking for.
Thanks. That thread title was kindof a joke, along the same lines as the "which exhaust is "THE" exhaust?" thread. I was just excited by what it sounds like mufflerless, the full-Akra car I heard/rode in didn't sound all that great to me so I was a little bummed about the potential for good-sounding exhausts on these cars. Thankfully, I've proven to myself that there is hope. I need to hear a few more of the plug-and-play systems in person, or just break out the welder and make one myself.

That revinora exhaust looks nice, but if you're going for lightness above all else you might as well stay with duals rather than add a pointless extra canister and exhaust tip on each side.
      09-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Thanks. That thread title was kindof a joke, along the same lines as the "which exhaust is "THE" exhaust?" thread. I was just excited by what it sounds like mufflerless, the full-Akra car I heard/rode in didn't sound all that great to me so I was a little bummed about the potential for good-sounding exhausts on these cars. Thankfully, I've proven to myself that there is hope. I need to hear a few more of the plug-and-play systems in person, or just break out the welder and make one myself.

That revinora exhaust looks nice, but if you're going for lightness above all else you might as well stay with duals rather than add a pointless extra canister and exhaust tip on each side.
lol, my bad man. Thought it was a serious question and those Revinoras look to be as little muffler as you can get. I heard my car muffler-less before too, felt kinda like Zeus screaming "FUCK YOU EARDRUMS" or something, was really cool. Just wish it didn't drone so bad like that.

I agree about the Akra, the quality is good and it's light as a buttercup, but you might as well keep stock if you're looking for sound from an Akra. Sounds too similar, but it is what it is.

Last edited by LateBraking; 09-10-2010 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
lol, my bad man. Thought it was a serious question and those Revinoras look to be as little muffler as you can get. I heard my car muffler-less before too, felt kinda like Zeus screaming "FUCK YOU EARDRUMS" or something, was really cool. Just wish it didn't drone so bad like that.

I agree about the Akra, the quality is good and it's light as a buttercup, but you might as well keep stock if you're looking for sound from an Akra. Sounds too similar, but it is what it is.
LOL, honesty

I bought my Corsa for the opposite reason. It's UGLY but it sounds soooooo nice. No drone, but a beautiful wail, it's the best thing I've heard on the S65... It doesn't sound as nice as my 06 M5, (sorry OP, I think the S85 sounds really awesome) but it's pretty nice sounding.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Dustin@AEp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Well, it sounds like I have exactly what you are looking for. Our race system consists of T304 stainless steel straight pipes, matched up with our signature AE hand rolled stainless steel tips.

Here's a video so you can get an idea of how it sounds. Pretty intoxicating!

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
LOL, honesty

I bought my Corsa for the opposite reason. It's UGLY but it sounds soooooo nice. No drone, but a beautiful wail, it's the best thing I've heard on the S65... It doesn't sound as nice as my 06 M5, (sorry OP, I think the S85 sounds really awesome) but it's pretty nice sounding.
Nothin' but honesty from me! I've never heard the Corsa myself, but I agree that it's ugly. However, Dinan looks ugly(/ier?) too, and it sounds nice, so I can imagine that your Corsa sounds fantastic as well.

As for my Akrapovic exhaust, well, at least I can get crazy drunk, take the tips off, put my d*ck inside of them, and pretend that I'm actually entering Keira Knightley or something. That, and I work in LA, so it definitely doesn't piss off any local Pigs. I'm happy with my Akra though.

Last edited by LateBraking; 09-10-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@AEperformance View Post
Well, it sounds like I have exactly what you are looking for. Our race system consists of T304 stainless steel straight pipes, matched up with our signature AE hand rolled stainless steel tips.

Here's a video so you can get an idea of how it sounds. Pretty intoxicating!

Thanks, I actually like you guys' street system the best of all, based on vids posted here anyway, because of the tip design and sound, but if I wanted to make a set of straight pipes I'd just fab some up myself for $50 in materials, hell, I've got the 3/8" bar stock in my garage right now for some hangers if I need it. The videos just don't do this car justice once you start modifying the exhaust though, stock gets picked up pretty well on my camera but with the muffler off it was pointless. That's what makes me afraid to jump on anything for $2k+ without hearing it in person first, and well, the Midwest isn't exactly crawling with modified M3's.

I love the way the Corsa sounds too but I wouldn't be able to deal with the muffler fitment. That one, the Billy Boat, and the AE are my favorites sound wise, at least among the systems that I think are worth bothering with. The Gintani Sport seems like it'd be good too but I still haven't seen a really good video.

Anyway, this is turning into a "what exhaust to buy" thread when really it's supposed to be a "I want to move somewhere where straight pipes won't get me arrested" thread. Back to that.
      09-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

....So when are you buying that island? You said you'd buy an island and you'd make a track for all of us nutters to run mufflerless on....hollow words, empty promises, I'm crushed!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
kcdude24
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

[QUOTE=Richbot;7978349] the Midwest isn't exactly crawling with modified M3's.

The Gintani Sport seems like it'd be good too but I still haven't seen a really good video.
[QUOTE]

I am still debating exhaust....but nothing around to hear first..I want a Gintani sport but would like to hear one first...maybe we should get a midwest meet and do some open pipe/Gintani comparos.
Appreciate 0