BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #23
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-E93-11 View Post
- Automatically downshifts to first at a full-stop; however a California-stop can often leave you in 2nd and somewhat under-torqued if you're not paying attention
I dont know why i laughed so hard at this.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #24
AlphaAlpineM6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 & 2012 AMG CLS63

Garage List
you're in control.. just don't have a clutch.

2008 M3 Sedan + catless + Tune
2012 CLS63 AMG
2014 M6 Coupe + catless + KW V3
2015 Porsche GT3
, 2015 M3, all stock, 1/1 Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #25
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krx927 View Post
Things I really dislike about [DCT] are the following:

* it is starting with to high revs (around 1200-1300). The car could easily start i.e. release clutch at 900-1000. Situation looks worse when car is cold. Revs are even higher.

* When you are driving slowly in 1st,2nd and 3rd gear and you are off and on gas pedal (example of driving in a jam) system engages clutch every time you step off the gas pedal and then engages it back when you press gas slightly at around 1100 revs. This is annoying and system should keep clutch engaged until revs drop under 800... and then just downshift. In this situation best is to keep gas press slightly all the time as this prevents clutch engagement- for this I would love if cruise control would work from (let's say) 10 km/h -
DOES ANYBODY KNOW IS THIS SOMETHING FEATURE CODING CAN FIX???

* fast starts from stand still - it is very difficult to have a fast start exactly when you want/need. If you press gas pedal quickly/fully car will first build up the revs and only after cca 1 sec it will dump the clutch. I suppose you can test with pressing the pedal gently and not to 100% to get faster response, but I was not able to find the right balance yet.
ANY SUGGESTIONS OF LONG TIME DCT DRIVERS ARE WELCOME.
Of course you have launch control but this is not really usable for every day driving and those moments when you suddenly see someone besides you at the lights that you want to smoke.

* not having the clutch pedal to engage for Ebrake usage or drift initiation (clutch dump).

* another thing that is a big difference to MT: in MT every time you start or shift gears you just do it like you want for each single operation -> aggressive, fast, slow... In DCT you need to switch settings with button to get selected "mode" of operation which is then active until you change it -> if you want to have aggressive shifts from 1st to 3rd and then smooth shift latter, you need to constantly change settings...

All being said DCTstill beats MT by a log way. It is just great for spirited driving and the auto mode is great for city/heavy traffic driving.
This is the best post. You'll never hear an MT owner complaining that the transmission didn't do what he wanted. In a DCT you do not have dynamic control of the clutches release (and you are limited to one style programmed before each driving session) whereas in an MT you can change your shifting mood agressivity on a whim you have full control and interaction with the clutch all the time and at all speeds and situations. With MT you can only blame yourself (learning your MT it is part of the fun) but with assisted driving automation is your big brother. I have read about several case of dissatisfied people who sold their DCT to get into an MT M3, and were very happy with the switch but never the other way around.
Once your warranty expires replacing DCT cost much more than a MT (even though both are supposed to last for the car's lifetime).
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #26
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Ha, i love it, our weekly M3 Trans debate, DCT is #1 period. If you want to drive a MT car do yourself a favor go buy a Mustang GT 30k less and with a set of $250 lowering springs and a couple hundred other dollars of stuff, you'll beat a M3 on the track, in the 1/4 and in braking and still have $29500 extra for more power, an extra house, or whatever BUT the ONE THING you can ONLY get in a High End Car is a DCT, you can get a MT in about any car in the world, like a focus, smart car, etc.

Take it from someone who's drove a stick a lot of his life and could still drive a MT as good or better then anyone on this forum, DCT is great fun and IMO much better.

PS this is what every Trans thread turns into,lol