BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

05-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #23
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
Torque is irrelevant on a track but more important than horsepower in everyday driving.
this is true...when i test drove the isf, it had plenty of torque going from 0-50 mph...like u really feel it on the local streets...but when i took it on the freeway, and punched it around 70mph, it just died when it got to 80 and u feel the pull become less and less....whereas the m3, just keeps going and going...almost nonstop pulling until ur like over 120mph and then it gets scary
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #24
boombastic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 AMS GT-R & Powerchip X5M

Not true, at least for the 2011 IS-F that I tried, It pulls as hard as my sold M3 DCT. 8 gears may be too many, have to find the right gear to do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
this is true...when i test drove the isf, it had plenty of torque going from 0-50 mph...like u really feel it on the local streets...but when i took it on the freeway, and punched it around 70mph, it just died when it got to 80 and u feel the pull become less and less....whereas the m3, just keeps going and going...almost nonstop pulling until ur like over 120mph and then it gets scary

Last edited by boombastic; 05-13-2011 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #25
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombastic View Post
Not true, at least for the 2011 IS-F that I tried, It pulls as hard as my sold M3 DCT. 8 gears may be too many, have to find the right gear to do it right.
Not true for the early ones either.

Sport mode and manual will pull all the way to 170 mph. Gears 7 and 8 are really only used for cruising and help with gas mileage. Routinely get 26 mpg when just highway driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #26
boombastic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 AMS GT-R & Powerchip X5M

Quite amazing that 5.0 V8 gets 26mpg just highway driving. I have seen as high as 28mpg. But anyway, IS-F pulls hard at high speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Not true for the early ones either.

Sport mode and manual will pull all the way to 170 mph. Gears 7 and 8 are really only used for cruising and help with gas mileage. Routinely get 26 mpg when just highway driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #27
newowner35i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
Nice review of the revamped version. I'm still not crazy about it's looks, but they made some great improvments in this car.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test
. The reason why the m3 is slightly behind is because of conditions, different drivers, non zcp, and torque disadvantage because at most other tracks the m3 humiliates the isf
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #28
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by newowner35i View Post
. The reason why the m3 is slightly behind is because of conditions, different drivers, non zcp, and torque disadvantage because at most other tracks the m3 humiliates the isf
There have not been any comparison tests that I'm aware of using the updated car. Don't get me wrong, I still overall like the m3 much more, but I just giving credit where it's due.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #29
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

What people don't understand or fail to comprehend is that while it take most companies a second try to perfect something, it took BMW only once with the M3. So even if Lexus, Audi, or MB finally beats the M3, their accomplishment becomes irrelevant because BMW is already looking to the next platform i.e. F3X M3. It always has been this way and it always will.
      05-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #30
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
What people don't understand or fail to comprehend is that while it take most companies a second try to perfect something, it took BMW only once with the M3. So even if Lexus, Audi, or MB finally beats the M3, their accomplishment becomes irrelevant because BMW is already looking to the next platform i.e. F3X M3. It always has been this way and it always will.
It's relevant if you are shopping for a car in 2011
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #31
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
IBTLIARTP

(In before the Lexus is a Rebadged Toyota Post)

CA
Lexus is a re-badged Toyota.

Quote:
I always laugh at the exhaust comments....considering the pimple on the hood of the M3....I mean "power dome" or the "fake" side vents on the M3. At least the quad tips actually have a functional purpose.

There is no "wrong" choice in this class. Silly nitpicky things like these don't really matter at the end of the day.
The fake tips after a fictional purpose? If it's fake, how does it have a functional purpose? I will agree that you can't go wrong with any car in this class and it's all comes down to what you want out of the car. My major gripe with the IS-F was the 8 speed auto constantly hunting for gears. It couldn't make up it's mind. I could tolerate the suspension but the Tranny was got old real quick.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #32
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Lexus is a re-badged Toyota.
This is simply wrong. Outside of the ES, who I will be the first to say is a rebadged Camry, Lexus is it's own brand. I suppose Lambos are just rebadged VW's? Please tell me what Toyota the IS F is based off of???

Quote:
The fake tips after a fictional purpose? If it's fake, how does it have a functional purpose? I will agree that you can't go wrong with any car in this class and it's all comes down to what you want out of the car. My major gripe with the IS-F was the 8 speed auto constantly hunting for gears. It couldn't make up it's mind. I could tolerate the suspension but the Tranny was got old real quick.
The rear exhaust set up is designed to create additional downforce. This was discussed at length when the car first came out.

I still don't understand how it "hunts" for gears? When driving casually, it gets you into the right gear in order to maximize efficiency, hence the much higher mpg that the F gets. If you want to push it, Sport mode and paddles will put you exactly where you want to be, when you want to be there. You will never see gears 7 or 8 when driving the car hard.

There have also been zero repetitive issues with the F tranny, something that certainly can't be said about the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #33
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

s
Quote:
There have also been zero repetitive issues with the F tranny, something that certainly can't be said about the DCT.
That's cause the ISF has an auto with a torque converter that is based on technology has been inexistence since I was in my mother's womb. The DCT has been flawless now for some time... it just took a little bit to work out the kinks on what is NEW (relatively) technology.

The tranny in the ISF really is the one disappointment I have with the car. Toyota could have done much better in this regard for a car that is to compete with cars having 6MT, DCT, PDK, and DSG transmissions. We can debate which car is better but the one thing for which there is no debate, IMO, is the M-DCT is without a doubt the superior transmission for a car in this class and with the sporting intentions of the ISF/M3. There is absolutely no arguing that. The 8 speed auto in the ISF is the only true fail in that car... the rest I can appreciate and admire.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #34
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
It's relevant if you are shopping for a car in 2011
It is not irrelevant to the buyer because it just gives them a lot more choices to compare MB and Lexus's revised version of their cars aimed at a car that's almost four years old in design and performance with a little tweak in suspension and cosmetics.

It is irrelevant to BMW what other car companies produce to beat the E9X M3 because they are now looking forward to F3X platform in which the new M3 will be based on.
      05-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #35
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
It is not irrelevant to the buyer because it just gives them a lot more choices to compare MB and Lexus's revised version of their cars aimed at a car that's almost four years old in design and performance with a little tweak in suspension and cosmetics.

It is irrelevant to BMW what other car companies produce to beat the E9X M3 because they are now looking forward to F3X platform in which the new M3 will be based on.
Thank you, good post......everyone else has to update their cars just to match what ///M did right form day 1.......don't blame BMW for getting it right 1st shot out of the gate.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #36
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep

Quote:

The Lexus was introduced at almost the same time as the M3. It's not like this is their all new platform.

When the F3X M3 comes out, the IS-F will be replaced as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #37
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
I always laugh at the exhaust comments....considering the pimple on the hood of the M3....I mean "power dome" or the "fake" side vents on the M3. At least the quad tips actually have a functional purpose.

There is no "wrong" choice in this class. Silly nitpicky things like these don't really matter at the end of the day.
Power dome was necessary to achieve higher torque numbers on the S65...see BMW M video. The side vents on the M3 are functional.

SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #38
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
The Lexus was introduced at the same time as the M3. It's not like this is their all new platform. When the F3X M3 comes out, the IS-F will be replaced as well.
Please read my post again. Lexus did release the IS-F almost at the same time as the M3 perhaps even later giving them enough research time to compare and improve, but yet bombed when it came time for the reviews. The same thing will happen again when it comes time for the F3X M3 to come out.

Last edited by Poppin Fresh; 05-15-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #39
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep

Quote:
Please read my post again. Lexus did release the IS-F almost at the same time as the M3 perhaps even later giving them enough research time to compare but yet bombed when it came time for the reviews. The same thing will happen again when it comes time for the F3X M3 to come out. It's a vicious cycle.
Did I comprehend this one correctly? Changes to the current IS-F are irrelevant because you have a hunch that the upcoming M3 will be better than the upcoming IS-F?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #40
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

yes