BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)
Closed Thread

08-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
3_for_the_money
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan SSII/Ext.Bamboo

Stop light victory #1

It seems like there's never a fair match up or a safe place and time to rev your motor...but today was different.

I was cruising next to a new GTO tonight and at safe driving speeds I cruised next to him speeding up when he did and slowing up to stay next him in a suggestive manner.

Before long he read between the lines on the road and dropped his hammer unexpectedly and hurried off in front only to be severed off by some ass in a truck nearly causing an accident only by his smart ass driving. The next light was the freeway service road so I stayed close behind him and signaled right as to offer a safe place to run our beasts.

Again we were thwarted by slow mving traffic but found our wayt to the front of the pack to find ourselves next to each other at the next light with nothing but daylight (open road) in front of us.

I initiate M Drive and rev to 4500 RPM to get his attention and insist on friendly competition, if there is such a thing.

The adjacent lights to yellow which clearly indicates a green light coming our way, and then...

I mishandled the throttle momentarily which was stabilized by DSC quickly to send me across the intersection in a flash leaving MR. GTO in a tailspin of smoke and rubber from his own tires.

3-4-5 car lengths grow as I hit 80 in about 6 seconds...100...110...125mph and he is struggling to stay in my rear view mirror.

So it was over for him and me feeling victorious after a long break in period of following the rules of 5000RPM and below.

This trial was long overdue, but certainly worht the wait.

Race safely, friends.

-3_for_the_money
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
Kadarin
Ambassador of Crunk
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/blk '08 E92 M3

My opinion, having simultaneously owned both an '05 GTO and my M3, is that the cars are pretty much equally fast in a straight line. However, the GTO is highly prone to excessive wheelspin off the line due to the 400 lb-ft of torque that kick in at ridiculously low rpm.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
elcarajo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 6MT JzB/FR 19s no mods

Congrats - and thanks for the detailed write-up. It improved my day
      08-20-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
nice

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

nice but dont race on the streets too much k
      08-20-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Let me see if I've got your story straight.

First, you use suggestive driving to provoke the GTO driver into a situation where he almost gets into an accident. Arguing that the situation was only caused by the truck's driver's bad driving and not also the GTO's "dropping the hammer" is disingenuous at best.

Second, after being "thwarted" from your illegal activity by slow moving traffic (i.e., law abiding drivers), you then choose to stop light race up to 125 mph on a public freeway access road. I'm curious as to what access road you were on that didn't involve merging traffic, intersections, driveways, or a posted speed limit of only 45 mph.

Third, you have the cajones to post your story here and attempt to frame your recklessness as "safe racing"? Do you really think we're all so stupid that we'll believe that nearly tripling the speed limits on public roads in the middle of a highly populated metropolitan area is safe?

I guess your behavior doesn't sound nearly as safe or as cool when I describe it. Get this straight: there is no safe racing on public streets, certainly not at the speeds you reached.

In case you're wondering why I'm so pissed off: (1) one of my best friends was killed by jackasses street racing like you, and (2) I live in Houston.

This thread should be locked/deleted.

Last edited by TLud; 08-20-2008 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 02:25 AM   #8
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Get this straight: there is no safe racing on public streets, certainly not to the speeds you reached.
I've always wondered why peeps who spend $60K+ on a car are too cheap to go to the track.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 02:40 AM   #9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Let me see if I've got your story straight.

First, you use suggestive driving to provoke the GTO driver into a situation where he almost gets into an accident. Arguing that the situation was only caused by the truck's driver's bad driving and not also the GTO's "dropping the hammer" is disingenuous at best.

Second, after being "thwarted" from your illegal activity by slow moving traffic (i.e., law abiding drivers), you then choose to stop light race up to 125 mph on a public freeway access road. I'm curious as to what access road you were on that didn't involve merging traffic, intersections, driveways, or a posted speed limit of only 45 mph.

Third, you have the cajones to post your story here and attempt to frame your recklessness as "safe racing"? Do you really think we're all so stupid that we'll believe that nearly tripling the speed limits on public roads in the middle of a highly populated metropolitan area is safe?

I guess your behavior doesn't sound nearly as safe or as cool when I describe it. Get this straight: there is no safe racing on public streets, certainly not to the speeds you reached.

In case you're wondering why I'm so pissed off: (1) one of my best friends was killed by jackasses street racing like you, and (2) I live in Houston.

This thread should be locked/deleted.
Kindly shove that crock of BS.

People have died tripping and falling coming out of the shower. Perhaps we should only be sprayed by a hose?

People have died changing lightbulbs falling off a ladder.

People have died doing all kinds of activities, some reckless some not, throughout the ages.

I am sorry for your loss but don't go about imposing your beliefs and taking out your aggression on others. Take a look at yourself before you start doling out advice like some saint. We are all to believe you never exceed the speed limit on the street That M3 on order is being delivered straight to the track, right?

I don't see where the guy said what he did was safe, but I got the impression that it was within reason to apply some pressure to the throttle. He mentioned safety when telling OTHERS to race safe.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 02:42 AM   #10
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
I've always wondered why peeps who spend $60K+ on a car are too cheap to go to the track.
Ya, that is it. When a quick car pulls up and I decide to hit the gas off the line it will be because I am too cheap.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 02:48 AM   #11
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Ya, that is it. When a quick car pulls up and I decide to hit the gas off the line it will be because I am too cheap.
Ummm, oh, never mind, it's not worth the effort......
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 02:51 AM   #12
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:

People have died tripping and falling coming out of the shower. Perhaps we should only be sprayed by a hose?

People have died doing all kinds of activities, some reckless some not, throughout the ages.
WTF? Wow, the term "pea brain" has taken on a whole new meaning.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 02:53 AM   #13
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:

I am sorry for your loss but don't go about imposing your beliefs and taking out your aggression on others. Take a look at yourself before you start doling out advice like some saint. We are all to believe you never exceed the speed limit on the street That M3 on order is being delivered straight to the track, right?

I don't see where the guy said what he did was safe, but I got the impression that it was within reason to apply some pressure to the throttle. He mentioned safety when telling OTHERS to race safe.
Hey Bro, no offense, but are you retarded?

Auto accidents are the 3rd leading cause of death in males under 30 years old and street racing is only going to fuel that statistic.

OP I admit I do street race too but I most certainly don't egg on other people and dodge/weave cars just for an adrenaline rush. The red flag should have been when the GTO almost got into an accident in the first place man.
      08-20-2008, 02:54 AM   #14
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
WTF? Wow, the term "pea brain" has taken on a whole new meaning.
Naturally, we should all drive cars with limiters set at the speed limit. We should not leave the house unless absolutely necessary. No reason to compete in motorsports, too dangerous. Don't fly, people have died in airplane crashes. Just place yourself in a bubble, now that is living.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 02:55 AM   #15
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
Hey Bro, no offense, but are you retarded?

Auto accidents are the 3rd leading cause of death in males under 30 years old and street racing is only going to fuel that statistic.

OP I admit I do street race too but I most certainly don't egg on other people and dodge/weave cars just for an adrenaline rush. The red flag should have been when the GTO almost got into an accident in the first place man.
Are you retarded? REMOVE drunk driving fatalities. Where are they now?

I love how people are so quick to jump on this guy for running his car after the break in. What is the first thing most people are going to do after break in? The exact same thing, you are a hypocrite.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 02:57 AM   #16
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I am sorry for your loss but don't go about imposing your beliefs on others. Take a look at yourself before you start doling out advice like some saint. We are all to believe you never exceed the speed limit on the street That M3 on order is being delivered straight to the track, right?
People die of all sorts of things, but one of the most common causes is car accidents. Applying your same logic, I should try sky diving with an anchor for a parachute and engage in similarly risky behavior because I could randomly die from a bee sting tomorrow.

Reread my post. Where did I say I was perfect or try come off as a saint? Where did I criticize the OP for minor speeding? It's completely irrelevant, but I'll say this: I've never raced another driver on public roads, and I've never gone over 20 mph over the posted speed limit, much less 125 through a highly populated city.

I'm not imposing my beliefs on anyone. The OP is imposing his risky driving and attitude on me by driving in the same city in the manner described. If he wants to risk his own life without endangering anyone else, more power to him, but I don't want me or a loved one to die because of some jackass driving like this. I see and ignore racing stories every day, but I felt compelled to respond to this one because the OP lives in my town.

What's even more unbelievable are your attempts to justify the OP's behavior.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 03:03 AM   #17
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
People die of all sorts of things, but one of the most common causes is car accidents. Applying your same logic, I should try sky diving with an anchor for a parachute and engage in similarly risky behavior because I could randomly die from a bee sting tomorrow.

Reread my post. Where did I say I was perfect or try come off as a saint? Where did I criticize the OP for minor speeding? It's completely irrelevant, but I'll say this: I've never raced another driver on public roads, and I've never gone over 20 mph over the posted speed limit, much less 125 through a highly populated city.

I'm not imposing my beliefs on anyone. The OP is imposing his risky driving and attitude on me by driving in the same city in the manner described. If he wants to risk his own life without endangering anyone else, more power to him, but I don't want me or a loved one to die because of some jackass driving like this. I see and ignore racing stories every day, but I felt compelled to respond to this one because the OP lives in my town.

What's even more unbelievable are your attempts to justify the OP's behavior.
I guess I am missing something but you basically ream the guy and use losing your friend as justification for doing so.

Human beings are frail to begin with. My point is that you don't know what is going to happen. You can drive safely your entire life and be creamed by a drunk driver one day, you never know.

Driving 100+ in traffic and weaving in and out is tempting fate. I don't think that was the case here. I think this was a case of I broke my car in and I want to see what it can do. Here comes a GTO, perfect opportunity.

I don't justify putting others in danger but I most certainly can understand being able to push your M3 for the first time. Lets not act like he did something out of the ordinary.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 03:05 AM   #18
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Naturally, we should all drive cars with limiters set at the speed limit. We should not leave the house unless absolutely necessary. No reason to compete in motorsports, too dangerous. Don't fly, people have died in airplane crashes. Just place yourself in a bubble, now that is living.

PM me your address and daily schedule, buddy. I'll make it a point to drag race up and down your street at 125 mph. Make sure to park your car on the street, and if you have kids, send them outside to play while I do it. Hell, if I run them over, I'll just be saving them from dying of something else.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 03:06 AM   #19
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

PM me your address and daily schedule, buddy. I'll make it a point to drag race up and down your street at 125 mph. Make sure to park your car on the street, and if you have kids, send them outside to play while I do it. Hell, if I run them over, I'll just be saving them from dying of something else.
Oooohhh thats dark, I like it But seriously, running over children is no laughing matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 03:08 AM   #20
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess I am missing something but you basically ream the guy and use losing your friend as justification for doing so.
No, my justification for doing so is not wanting myself, my family, or my friends, or anyone else for that matter to be hurt by this guy driving 125 mph through my city. How is this hard to understand?

Quote:
Human beings are frail to begin with. My point is that you don't know what is going to happen. You can drive safely your entire life and be creamed by a drunk driver one day, you never know.
Of course, but that doesn't justify drunk driving or any other kind of reckless driving, like the OP described.

Quote:
Driving 100+ in traffic and weaving in and out is tempting fate. I don't think that was the case here. I think this was a case of I broke my car in and I want to see what it can do. Here comes a GTO, perfect opportunity.

I don't justify putting others in danger but I most certainly can understand being able to push your M3 for the first time. Lets not act like he did something out of the ordinary.
Maybe you defy death daily for a living, but I would consider driving 125 mph on city surface streets as more than slightly out of the ordinary. You don't get a speeding ticket for that. You get arrested for reckless endangerment.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 03:10 AM   #21
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oooohhh thats dark, I like it But seriously, running over children is no laughing matter.
Of course it isn't. You just made my point, and I rest my case.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 03:17 AM   #22
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, my justification for doing so is not wanting myself, my family, or my friends, or anyone else for that matter to be hurt by this guy driving 125 mph through my city. How is this hard to understand?

Of course, but that doesn't justify drunk driving or any other kind of reckless driving, like the OP described.

Maybe you defy death daily for a living, but I would consider driving 125 mph on city surface streets as more than slightly out of the ordinary. You don't get a speeding ticket for that. You get arrested for reckless endangerment.
At what point did he say he was aiming for pedestrians? What exactly are your family and friends doing in the middle of a street? Since when is it YOUR city? Your family and friends can be hurt by someone going the speed limit in a much heavier car and it could potentially be a much worse scenario. Too many variables.

I hit high speeds fairly frequently, but I live off a private road, as in, no speed limits. So if I am doing 125 that equates to automatically killing someone? Come on, these cars ROUTINELY see speeds higher than that. They are built for it. For one, I am much more comfortable in someone driving an M3 at 100+ on the freeway (conditions permitting) than in a raised F-250.

I think the guy did what most people would have done. I think it is easy to play the victim and make oneself appear as a wise sage. This guy did what most performance car drivers would have done, lets crucify him for it.

I am not trying to justify what he did, but by your reasoning there is absolutely no purpose for cars to be able to go above the speed limit anyway. I think if your line of thinking is extended it eventually leads to rights being trampled and cars being severely restricted using the supposed "safety of others" as justification.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread