BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 aw/cf m3

Just need some advice on a tire situation

I finally decided to go with Potenza RE 960as to replace the ps2's after 12500 miles. To keep it short I would like some opinions on what to do from here. I got them mounted and balanced at a local firestone and I feel they completely half-assed the job at best. This is the first set of tires I have bought in a while for a vehicle that I can say I pay very close attention to, so I would like other's opinions if that's the way it is or did they screw it up. They left all the tape residue from the oem weights on the wheels and added some weights on top of the tape. That was annoying and I though not right, but if the weights hold and I can remove the other tape, no problem. So I start to attempt to remove the residue and find what appears to be screw driver chunks under the tape residue. They are not huge, but they are definetly scracthes from the removal of the original weights. I used plastic trim removal tools to remove the residue, so I know I did not create these. So is it time to go off or am I being anal?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

Not being anal at all, I have also had the same issue with my wheel especially because they are Satin Black. This is something that you have to address to the tire tech when having any kind of work done to wheels or tires. I have been firm with my shop and they have been good with it every since. Also take care to see that an experienced tech who knows what he is doing and knows the value of what he is working.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
vm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia

When I am going to mount new tires in nice wheels I personally wash the wheels and remove the weights before I give them to the shop. That way I am sure that I use the appropriate solvents and methods to avoid damaging the wheels. You will probably feel vibrations on your way to the shop but this is not a big problem for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info. I went back to firestone and spoke to a manager. They are going to get wheel wizard to fix it. I have heard they do a good job and I used Dent wizard before and they were very good. I know going forward to clean them first.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Just an FYI, they make special pliers to remove those wheel weights so they don't have to pry them with a screw driver. The pliers work on leverage, so a nick near the area where each wheel weight is normal (not scratches as indicated). Also, all weights and residue should be removed before the new balancing. Finally, I recommend using aluminized tape over the weights in addition to their adhesive backing for added assurance they won't fall off. This is typical practice in the racing community when balancing wheels/tires.

Also as an FYI, those little red dots indicate the "heavy spot" on a tire, and so the tire should be mounted such that the dot is opposite the valve stem/TPS. If there's a yellow dot, it represents a light spot and should be mounted near the valve stem/TPS. If the tire has both, then the tire should be mounted in a compromise position. The idea is to avoid the need to add more weights unnecessarily, and make balancing as quick and easy as possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

m3v8driver. Thanks. Very helpful information. I guess I expected the guys who do it for a living to know that. The tire with all the extra weights does indeed have a yellow dot right by all the weights. Also, they have scratched, scuffed and dinged every wheel. It appears that the person who did this is either new or incompetent. Either way I am hoping when I give all the information to the manager they do the right thing and fix it. If in fact they try to act like it was done right and the person who did it knew what they were doing, I will take it somewhere that knows what they are doing and send them the bill.
Appreciate 0