BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #45
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
I will just be honest, I think it sounds like ..no good.. (staying politically correct, but you can guess the word). Again everyone is entitled to expressing their opinion. I have yet to hear an after market exhaust that sounds decent. Most sound either bad, real bad, or horrible. The MPE and Gintanni full pipes are the only one mediocre but acceptable.
I know my friend what you want to say,that it sounds like 5H1T !
Strange thing is that i get nothing else than compliments how good and perfect my car sounds
But i know one thing for sure that sound is a personal taste !
You said MPE is acceptable,and i'm agreed the desing with the lasered ///M logo on the exhaust tips looks amazing, also is the used material Inconel and have respect or it , i have done a test drive with the MPE and for me it sounds to hollow,typical for titanium and inconel .
It was not a question of $$$$ for me just only the sound of it(Oem.exhaust mod.) and to me personal it sounds just perfect,so again it's all about personal taste

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 12-20-2013 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #46
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I know my friend what you want to say,that it sounds like 5H1T !
Strange thing is that i get nothing else than compliments how good and perfect my car sounds
But i know one thing for sure that sound is a personal taste !
You said MPE is acceptable,and i'm agreed the desing with the lasered ///M logo on the exhaust tips looks amazing, also is the used material Inconel and have respect or it , i have done a test drive with the MPE and for me it sounds to hollow,typical for titanium and inconel .
It was not a question of $$$$ for me just only the sound of it(Oem.exhaust mod.) and to me personal it sounds just perfect,so again it's all about personal taste
fair enough. I agree those things' price are a rip off.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #47
AirbusPilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
This may be really dumb idea... but any thoughts to using something to cover up all the perforated holes instead of hack it out and replacing. Something similar to warping with metal tape?
The Z06 mufflers are similarly modified. What some do is as you suggest, but use a cut pipe and slip it over the perforated pipe, then use a muffler clamp to keep it in place.

If you did it that way, all you'd need is for a welder to weld the muffler closed.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #48
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusPilot View Post
The Z06 mufflers are similarly modified. What some do is as you suggest, but use a cut pipe and slip it over the perforated pipe, then use a muffler clamp to keep it in place.

If you did it that way, all you'd need is for a welder to weld the muffler closed.
I actually ended up doing a hybrid of this method. i found this muffler repair material that seals up pipes and wrapped that around the perforated pipes. I then used a heat gun to seal it (it kinda works like heat shrink) when heat is applied it forms a more permanent seal. Then for good measure I also wrapped each of the pipes in aluminum and clamped them off. I then inserted maybe 30% of the hair back in and had it welded back up.

Waiting to put it back on the car later this week and will report results.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #49
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I actually ended up doing a hybrid of this method. i found this muffler repair material that seals up pipes and wrapped that around the perforated pipes. I then used a heat gun to seal it (it kinda works like heat shrink) when heat is applied it forms a more permanent seal. Then for good measure I also wrapped each of the pipes in aluminum and clamped them off. I then inserted maybe 30% of the hair back in and had it welded back up.

It would be nice to see and hear your results

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #50
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
It would be nice to see and hear your results
I'll post as soon as I get it in. May be able to take it to muffler shop today for install or sat at the latest. fingers crossed for a good result. I am also attempting to extend the OEM tips to align better w my CF diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #51
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I'll post as soon as I get it in. May be able to take it to muffler shop today for install or sat at the latest. fingers crossed for a good result. I am also attempting to extend the OEM tips to align better w my CF diffuser.
Spot on ....
BTW...i'm sure you (your ears) will like it !
Also...not to cold in Chicago ?....Brrrrrrrr ! saw the temps....Jesus man !!!

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 01-08-2014 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #52
dallas06m3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 6MT SSII

Quote:
No...no watch the video again....!
Before mod. full trottle = 90 db
Afther mod. full trottle = 93 db (this also depends....warm or cold start,cold start is much louder ! )
99 db...was the Eisenmann exhaust that i have heard in person,
droned like a mofo !!! i have heard in person...Eisenmann,MPerformance,Akrapovic
Oem exhaust mod. 0,0 drone, with the Helmholtz chambers designed
in the oem exhaust....Helmholtz = anti- drone
So, what is the DB at idle with the OEM mod? I didn't see that in the video.
      10-28-2014, 02:01 AM   #53
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas06m3 View Post
I've had the Eisenmann Race Black Series exhaust and ACM Mod (Still have it)
Both are the same loudness, it's just the Eisenmann sounds louder believe it or not because of the drone.

ACM Mod has no drone & it's pretty aggressive in sound.

For me the ACM was a better route because i have no intentions of a x-pipe/test pipe.

So muffler wise you'll not beat it in sound/drone free department. However once add x-pipe or test pipes the ACM muffler sounds like crap with a lot of rasp, while the Eisenmann Black series sounds even better with the x-pipe or test pipe.

ACM Mod & Challenge Street x-pipe (OEM cats and Secondary delete) sounds really good. By far better than the OEM Test pipes and Mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #54
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas06m3 View Post
Sure you can see it in the video...
Stop the video at "9.19" runtime to make things clear .
After the Oem. exhaust mod ....
At idle => 74 DB
Full throttle => 93 DB
So dallas hope this will help ,but for further questions you can always PM me !

Appreciate 1
      11-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #55
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
Quote:

How did this work? Im thinking of doing this mod shortly....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #56
Anders R
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Touring

Just wanted to say BIG THANKS to ///M Power-Belgium for the very clear walk-through and for answering all my concerns by PM.

Had the 2 pipe mod done this morning and just WOW! The sound is perfect, like someone increased the bass and treble by 40 % under acceleration, but with zero drone and driving in the city it is - without trying - a real head turner of a sound. Best part is that it sounds completely like a factory sport exhaust, it is not over the top, just completely right and sounds the way a 4 litre V8 should have come from the factory, rather than the somewhat muted stock exhaust. Reminds me of the Eisenmann Sport I had on my E39 M5.

It was the first time my Indy, Performance Shop Geel, did this mod but thanks to the great photos from your walk through and video they managed to finish it in 3 hours, welding (using stainless steel wire, so no corrosion risk) in solid pipe rather than wrapping, and putting back the sound deadening ("the dead animal") This must be the best value for money mod that can be done to an E* M3! If anyone is on the fence on whether to do this mod, just do it!
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #57
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders R View Post
Just wanted to say BIG THANKS to ///M Power-Belgium for the very clear walk-through and for answering all my concerns by PM.

Had the 2 pipe mod done this morning and just WOW! The sound is perfect, like someone increased the bass and treble by 40 % under acceleration, but with zero drone and driving in the city it is - without trying - a real head turner of a sound. Best part is that it sounds completely like a factory sport exhaust, it is not over the top, just completely right and sounds the way a 4 litre V8 should have come from the factory, rather than the somewhat muted stock exhaust. Reminds me of the Eisenmann Sport I had on my E39 M5.

It was the first time my Indy, Performance Shop Geel, did this mod but thanks to the great photos from your walk through and video they managed to finish it in 3 hours, welding (using stainless steel wire, so no corrosion risk) in solid pipe rather than wrapping, and putting back the sound deadening ("the dead animal") This must be the best value for money mod that can be done to an E* M3! If anyone is on the fence on whether to do this mod, just do it!
Anders..
You're welcome my friend !
Actualy it was a pleasure to PM with you , and I'm very glad that you are very happy with the new sound .
Like I said in our PM's..if I only had the time , I had it done for you by myself and for free
I've helped a lot of people on this forum , so you was not the first and certainly not the last .
I really like to share this mod. and to learn other people how amazing our S65 can sound with the Oem. exhaust mod .
Anders..Thank you for the kind words , and enjoy the new sound !

Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 03:29 AM   #58
Anders R
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Touring

Having spent the weekend enjoying myself behind the wheel, I can only confirm the initial impression of a fantastic sound. It is actually more aggressive than I thought, a real headturner if some revs are applied, while a very nice burbly V8 sound is finally released at lov revs, like when pulling off (even calmly) from lights.

It really is a fantastic mod!
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #59
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders R View Post
Having spent the weekend enjoying myself behind the wheel, I can only confirm the initial impression of a fantastic sound. It is actually more aggressive than I thought, a real headturner if some revs are applied, while a very nice burbly V8 sound is finally released at lov revs, like when pulling off (even calmly) from lights.

It really is a fantastic mod!
I have this mod. for over 2 years now , and still I'm thinking the same thing !
And good from you and thank you...That you took me in confidence .
So Anders , now you really have a head turner

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #60
Newb17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 z06

Quote:
Here you go..DIY video.... this is the same mod. that i have done !
You opened the muffler again and did the other two pipes? The video is only two pipe method.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #61
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb17 View Post
You opened the muffler again and did the other two pipes? The video is only two pipe method.
No I have only the 2 big perforated pipe replacement and it's loud enough for me and the video is not my video , the Youtube video inspired me to do this Oem. exhaust mod. by myself .
We talked yesterday about something similar in loudness as the ACM , because ACM drones and has bad sound quality .
So I said just go with all 4 replaced and I posted a video with all 4 for you , with good sound quality and no drone , because all 4 is louder than just the 2 big .
Feel free to PM me for further questions...No problem because I helped out I don't know how many people with this mod.
BTW....And all people are very happy with this mod.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 03:48 AM   #62
DBE
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I have the 4 pipe mod and VERY happy
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #63
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSEA View Post
I have the 4 pipe mod and VERY happy
Of course you are !

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #64
FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Figured I'd bump this thread...

Had the 2 pipe method done by a local muffler shop, and I LOVE IT! The tone is amazing, especially around 3k rpm. Really has an exotic note to it at certain RPMs, think CGT or S85 M5. Might be a little exaggerated there, but the tone reminded me of those cars. No drone, not obnoxiously loud.

I strongly recommend getting this done if you're on the fence. Wish I did this right after buying my M3.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #65
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post
Figured I'd bump this thread...

Had the 2 pipe method done by a local muffler shop, and I LOVE IT! The tone is amazing, especially around 3k rpm. Really has an exotic note to it at certain RPMs, think CGT or S85 M5. Might be a little exaggerated there, but the tone reminded me of those cars. No drone, not obnoxiously loud.

I strongly recommend getting this done if you're on the fence. Wish I did this right after buying my M3.
That sounds perfect to me ..

On a serious note...Yes it sounds really amazing ,and I'm 100% agreed with your comment .
Thanks for bumping my thread

Appreciate 1
      02-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #66
Bimmer4Kikz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I talked to the OP about getting this mod done and if it would even make a sound difference. Turns out that it's even better than I expected car sounds so nice that even with the windows up you can hear the deep growl it has, I of course don't mind freezing in this weather and roll my windows down , I strongly recommend this mod! Thanks to OP for providing this mod idea!
Appreciate 1