BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

10-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #111
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Hmm, never had that problem. Do you have enough memory left on your phone? Vids tend to be fairly large.

Hope you get it sorted, maybe power off and turn on the phone??
Found the issue: It was the privacy setting in my photo app.

http://blog.procamera-app.com/procam...ibrary-access/

For some reason, it was off and not on. Don't know what the defaults are.

I turned off my phone many times and still nothing worked. Until I received an error message the last time I turned HLT on. It said that my photo settings to private and I needed to change it.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #112
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Found the issue: It was the privacy setting in my photo app.

http://blog.procamera-app.com/procam...ibrary-access/

For some reason, it was off and not on. Don't know what the defaults are.

I turned off my phone many times and still nothing worked. Until I received an error message the last time I turned HLT on. It said that my photo settings to private and I needed to change it.
Never thought of that! Yes I know when I changed to IOS 6, even on my previous 4s, the privacy settings were all messed up.

Glad you got it sorted!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #113
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
Here is a video from VIR using HTL with iPhone4.

At times i did run into issues with HTL. The video, overlayed map and sound were not synced and they were all at different points.

I would suggest remove all your music from your iphone to maximize available storage capacity. Turn off notifications so it wont interrupt the recording, and tell your friends not to call or text you

I couldnt use HTL in Summit Point last week, for some reason it was crashing or getting interrupted all the time, very annoying.

I have the iPhone5 now but cant test it since the RAM mount hasnt come up with the holder for iphone5.
I used HLT on the new iphone 5 @ TWS for the first time this weekend, and also noticed that the telemetry is not synced with the video. I did not notice this with HTL on the iphone 4.

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #114
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

it was perfect before i updated my HTL, i dont know how i can go back to an earlier version

how did you mount your iphone5

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #115
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
how did you mount your iphone5
I don't know about the other guys, but I bought a Quad Lock universal mount:

And a Quad Lock tri-pod mount:

Strictly for work, of course. I have the occasional need to whip out the trusty iPhone that's always with me to mount to a tri-pod for photographing products. Then I found this:

Which allows me to mount ANYTHING that has a tri-pod thread to any Go-Pro style base mount or suction mount. And since my car already has multiple Go-Pro bases attached at various strategic locations, and I still have an old Chase-Cam head-rest mount which I can't use anymore...It gives me the versatility to mount the iPhone virtually anywhere, be it on the rear glass through Go-Pro suction mount, or on the dash on a Go-Pro base, or if I'm in my Subaru, on the rear head-rest using the Chase-Cam head-rest mount. And this frees up the Go-Pro to take some exterior shots using the suction cup that I can cut with the iPhone video and then overlay the data over.

Just gotta actually test the set-up out on track once.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #116
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Waiting for the iPhone 5 RAM mount to come out. Scheduled to be released in a couple of weeks (cf. RAM website)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #117
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv
Waiting for the iPhone 5 RAM mount to come out. Scheduled to be released in a couple of weeks (cf. RAM website)
You can use the ram x-grip mount. Ram has a video demo on their website. Works really well and you can keep the case on.

http://youtu.be/Irh8stSyWAs
      10-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #118
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
You can use the ram x-grip mount. Ram has a video demo on their website. Works really well and you can keep the case on.

Thanks.

The x-grip mount is tempting but I'm concerned whether it'll hold the phone securely enough under track conditions.

Edit: just checked the Ram Mount website and the iPhone5 cradle is estimated to start shipping 11/30. Ugh

Last edited by kaiv; 10-24-2012 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #119
dbhajek
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I just used the x-grip with my iPhone 5 this weekend and worked great, but I used stock tires and pads.

Bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Thanks.

The x-grip mount is tempting but I'm concerned whether it'll hold the phone securely enough under track conditions.

Edit: just checked the Ram Mount website and the iPhone5 cradle is estimated to start shipping 11/30. Ugh

Last edited by dbhajek; 10-25-2012 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #120
helava
Rep
Drives: 2010 Interlagos DCT Sedan

I did a quick scan but couldn't find anything in the thread, and it's impossible to Google search for it because of the name - but has anyone been able to hook up Harry's Lap Timer & the Automatic OBD2 sensor? Harry's Lap Timer's UI is ... not the most intuitive thing in the world, and I've looked in places I think are sensible, but can't find anything that would make sense. Also checked under the iPhone's Settings, but there are only advanced OBD setting options, and honestly, none of them make any sense to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
seppo
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #121
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

Which OBD tool is the most bang for $?
It would be cool to display rpm / brake input but I don't want to shall out $100 for it
Thanks in adv
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #122
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Thanks.

I used it in my GT3 and never had a problem with it moving around even when I was braking hard or sliding around.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #123
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Btw, I have an RAM X-Grip Mount for sale as I've moved on to a GoPro/Aim Solo DL set-up. PM me if anyone is interested in picking it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #124
knolow
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I used it in my GT3 and never had a problem with it moving around even when I was braking hard or sliding around.
So are you saying the RAM X-grip does NOT hold the iphone well in track conditions? Not being combative just asking as I was thinking of buying one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Btw, I have an RAM X-Grip Mount for sale as I've moved on to a GoPro/Aim Solo DL set-up. PM me if anyone is interested in picking it up.
Which one do you have and have you had any issues with it holding the iphone during track driving? I have a cage and run with BMWCCA (who doesnt allow suction cups) so I am looking for the bar mount type. unless I just act rogue and put the suction cup on. lol
      06-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #125
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

A couple of questions lately on compatible OBDII sensors.

I have been trying to get the app running on an IPod Touch version 5 for a while now. Based on a referral from the guys over in the Engine Tech forum on OBDII readers for the BMWhat code reader app and Apple products, I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It connected to the IPod (after going into settings and finding it as a wi-fi network). It sort of worked in Harry's Lap Timer but not great. The gear selector overlay and RPM overlay worked pretty accurately, but the throttle overlay was way off. Harry's was giving me a warning message that the OBDII refresh rate (1Hz) was too low for much accuracy in the data.

I searched around, but I have not been able to find any Internet reports of an inexpensive, uncabled OBDII connection that works well with HLT for Apple. So I spent the $85 to get the PLX Kiwi 2 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It also hooked up with the IPod through the settings menu options for wifi; I had to enter some specific IP and router address information in the settings menu the first time (comes with the instructions for the Kiwi unit), and the IPod saved it.

So the PLX works well and the data rate is more like 5Hz. I am now getting good throttle display overlay as well as RPM and gear selection. I don't seem to be able to get brake input data, but I've heard the E92 M3 OBDII port just doesn't supply the data. Not sure if that's true, but it's what I heard.

For GPS I'm using the XPS150A (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which connects to the IPod very well through bluetooth. Also $85, by coincidence. It's transmitting position data 5x per second (5Hz), which is plenty for smooth data and 5 times the IPod GPS' native rate. It comes with a rubber pad that sticks the unit to the rear side window, and you can mount the IPod any where you want in the car -- you still get clear GPS data.

The version 5 has plenty of processing power to perform the overlay function fairly rapidly. As for storage, I'm using the big one (64G). You might be able to get away with a 16G. Two 25-minute sessions plus the HLT software ate about 6.5 gigs, so there may be enough space there to handle a 4-session day between offloads to a laptop. But you will max it out, leaving no room for other photos, vids, or tunes.
Appreciate 0