BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #45
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

I wasn't looking for a debate,I was just asking if this was a good number for that car at that redline. I don't see the humor in that,I know what text book says,the brochures, car and driver,this was for personal feedback on cars that you own. Everything is hearsay till its proven,correct? Just sayin,his face was priceless when the numbers came in. I don't believe what Bmw states for numbers,they seem to underrate them. I figured that car,for what it is,would pull 375+ whp.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #46
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB View Post
I wasn't looking for a debate,I was just asking if this was a good number for that car at that redline. I don't see the humor in that,I know what text book says,the brochures, car and driver,this was for personal feedback on cars that you own. Everything is hearsay till its proven,correct? Just sayin,his face was priceless when the numbers came in. I don't believe what Bmw states for numbers,they seem to underrate them. I figured that car,for what it is,would pull 375+ whp.
Lots of external factors and variables, though. And you're gonna run into a debate when the topic of something like dynos comes up because it is such a subjective form of measurement. There's honestly way too much involved to be able to empirically say this car has "y" amount of horsepower due to "x" input. It's more of a tool of measuring gains than anything else.

And no one would really know what a "good" number would be at 7k rpm because most people who get their car to a shop with a Dyno have graphs that shoot all the way to 8k rpms.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #47
JuniorB
Major
Rep

Thank you,that's a senceable answer. Like I was saying,I don't own one,wish I did,but sometimes the money verse maintenance is hard to grasp,unless you have plenty of money
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #48
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you,that's a senceable answer. Like I was saying,I don't own one,wish I did,but sometimes the money verse maintenance is hard to grasp,unless you have plenty of money
hahaha I feel you. If it's a car you've lusted after for years, I say go for it. Life's too short to drive a boring car <- not a personal quote, but something I've enjoyed referencing after I read it.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #49
cmo_93
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Just out of curiosity,seeing that I'm out of my league on this one,how many of you guys have gotten beatin by a 335? You must feel pretty disappointed when one drives right by ya Oh ya, and for military men in this forum,I wouldn't have expected a little more professionalism than lol,lmao,and high-5in. You know what's funny,when your on your back changing bearings . To all the guys that answered with a serious answer,thank you,I would imagine that car was good for 350+ if redlined.
I haven't, even with the precious JB4, intakes and exhaust.... But I know a single turbo 135i that could beat me!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:28 AM   #50
MoeDM
Rep
Drives: 2009 e9 M3 space gray fox red

DYNO

Quote:
Just out of curiosity,seeing that I'm out of my league on this one,how many of you guys have gotten beatin by a 335? You must feel pretty disappointed when one drives right by ya Oh ya, and for military men in this forum,I wouldn't have expected a little more professionalism than lol,lmao,and high-5in. You know what's funny,when your on your back changing bearings . To all the guys that answered with a serious answer,thank you,I would imagine that car was good for 350+ if redlined.
I don't usually post on here at all. I just read the threads for information about my car and buy things so here is a really long post.

A DYNO is like any other instrument of measure... results vary.

I have never been beaten by a 335i, or anything else for that matter, because I don't race on the streets nor the track. Spirited driving early in the morning on the autobahn or rural roads that's it. When I was in the states I would barely do that.

No I wouldn't feel disappointed because some clown races pass me on public roads.

Actually I wouldn't be on my back changing rod bearings unless I wanted to completely destroy my engine. I would pay someone to do it for me. It would be funny to see me try though!

So how do you know there are military men on this forum who made fun of your post?

Is there something that identifies them as such in their profile? Not being a smart ass I seriously want to know myself because I haven't seen anything like that personally.

Why do you expect military members to be more professional answering a question on a informal forum? Do you think they are serious all the time with some the B.S. they put up with? I have 18 years and 6 months of service, and 18 months before I retire and join the civilian workforce. I seriously would like to know what civilians really think no matter your status.

Doesn't it seem like you are poking the bear a little bit with this post?

Anyway, back to the topic.....

Lastly, I would never DYNO my car to see HP ratings unless I was trying to be competitive in motorsports or getting a tune that requires it. Makes no since to me for street cars in my opinion. 300 RWHP or not, I purchased my car to enjoy it and it meets that intent just fine especially when the Tubi exhaust warms up and that ///M button is pressed!

That's my post for the year!

Take care!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #51
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

People underestimate the importance of having full heat exchange and cooling while the car is moving for a normally aspirated engine if you're interested in getting an absolute accurate bhp #. The S65 is notoriously hard to dyno as any IAT rise or heat soaking will be detected by the ionic sensing system and pull timing. The Shelby GT350 is also demonstrating on dynos that the car is "overrated" by Ford. However, you put the M3 on a dyno with true heat exchange effect such as Rototest (wind tunnel) or Dinan (simulated wind tunnel), and Dinan has dynoed the S65 on its engine dyno, the car produces around 410-415 bhp. In Rototests results, it is showing around an 11% drivetrain loss from claimed bhp, which is lower than most other front engine/rear drive cars.

Last edited by FogCityM3; 04-29-2016 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 12:26 AM   #52
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
Not too many here are going to admit it. I had a 135i before my M3 and it was much, much faster....... when it worked properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 12:28 AM   #53
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #54
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Lol I had a FBO with LSD and Ohlins 335i that was quicker than my M3 in a straight line.

I couldn't care less. The M3 is so much more of a driver's car with a glorious engine that I haven't looked back. I could've slapped a single turbo on the 335i and romped on 99% of the cars out their in a drag race. But to me, there's so much more to a car/driving than just straight line bragging rights.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #55
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

I've gotten my ass handed to me by several tuned 335i's. Doesn't really matter, tbh. We each buy what we like. So far, all the dudes I've met with 335i's have been cool to throw back a few beers and talk shop with.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 06:03 AM   #56
JuniorB
Major
Rep

See,this is what happens when you hit a nerve in here,I never mend to start a war as I stated before,what I saw and what I reported,kinda irked a few in here. Some took it farther than it needs. I sa first hand what this car has done on a Dyno,I asked if this was normal.i don't know what was under he hood,I assumed stock from the numbers it layer down.All I since you guys are owners,I asked if its normal.i received immature answers,that's on you. I did misunderstand about the statis of a person,a private is new,a leitentant is higher up,I thought it was military men,I apologize for that. But the answers for a dyne seems kind of childishness. I just happen to state what I saw,not what I heard. The m3 hands down is the better car all around,has flaws ,the 335 is no slouch when modded,doesn't make it a Better car,speed isn't everything,that's why guys upgrade m3 parts on there 335, go figure. I'm only asking cause I want to learn,as the say,the Dyno never lies
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #57
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

Quote:
See,this is what happens when you hit a nerve in here,I never mend to start a war as I stated before,what I saw and what I reported,kinda irked a few in here. Some took it farther than it needs. I sa first hand what this car has done on a Dyno,I asked if this was normal.i don't know what was under he hood,I assumed stock from the numbers it layer down.All I since you guys are owners,I asked if its normal.i received immature answers,that's on you. I did misunderstand about the statis of a person,a private is new,a leitentant is higher up,I thought it was military men,I apologize for that. But the answers for a dyne seems kind of childishness. I just happen to state what I saw,not what I heard. The m3 hands down is the better car all around,has flaws ,the 335 is no slouch when modded,doesn't make it a Better car,speed isn't everything,that's why guys upgrade m3 parts on there 335, go figure. I'm only asking cause I want to learn,as the say,the Dyno never lies
tl;dr

Must be a slow day on the e60 forum.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #58
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Dyno is for power chasers, not drivers

On my 335 I had a birds suspension, quaife, and Cobb. The car handled well and was simultaneously supple bit planted, bit the m3 is virtually telepathic.

Also while the mid range of the tuned gave the impression of power more often, the m3 is still better.

Finally, I NEVER got a thumbs up or an appreciative nod in my 335 from randoms (if anything a comment about being poverty spec). But it happens quite often in the e92 m3.

Definite upgrade regardless of power
Appreciate 0