BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Why BMW speedo overshoots but the other speedos don't

I was driving the glk and i was surprised how the speedo was showing the exact speed of a gps speed monitor tool. Unfortunately, in my car, the speedo is off a bit. Then gps shows 77, the car shows 80. Today, I was watching the c&d video of x1 and the video mentioned how this is an issue for BMW and not for other cars. Anyone knows why?

Link to c&d review:
http://youtu.be/eoqinOfudzY

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

First BMW?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer

"The indicated speed must never be less than the actual speed, i.e. it should not be possible to inadvertently speed because of an incorrect speedometer reading.

The indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus 4 km/h at specified test speeds. For example, at 80 km/h, the indicated speed must be no more than 92 km/h."
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Parkanzky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 SGM M3

Volkswagen have historically had very optimistic speedometers, although our most recent '09 and '10 TDIs actually read about 1 MPH slow.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

My Audi's do the same thing...3km less than what's indicated on the speedo.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
BMW programmed a factor to display speed higher than actual due to Euro laws what requires speedometers to never read below actual speed. This factor can be coded out.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

know issue. quite a shock at the track once i started getting gps data that showed i was slower in the straight than i had thought.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Speedometer Scandal! C&D

Interesting article from C&D - Speedometer Scandal!

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ometer-scandal

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

OP do you have 18" or 19" wheels? I'm guessing 19 by the pic in your sig, but in addition to the fact that BMW does indeed calibrate their speedos to display slightly faster than reality (though this can be disabled for the digital speedo via coding), wheel size makes a difference too. I don't know whether the factory adjusts the speedo calibration based on the wheel diameter you ordered, but if they only calibrate for one size, it would be for 19" to avoid risk of the speedo displaying too low when the car has 18s -- and if that's true then people who have 18" wheels would have their speedos showing faster by an even greater margin than those with 19". Of course even if the factory does calibrate differently for the different wheel sizes, if you switch sizes aftermarket all bets are off. Relative to the stock calibration setup, larger wheels will make you go faster than indicated, smaller wheels (like people who switch to 18s on the track) will make you go slower than indicated.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
OP do you have 18" or 19" wheels? I'm guessing 19 by the pic in your sig, but in addition to the fact that BMW does indeed calibrate their speedos to display slightly faster than reality (though this can be disabled for the digital speedo via coding), wheel size makes a difference too. I don't know whether the factory adjusts the speedo calibration based on the wheel diameter you ordered, but if they only calibrate for one size, it would be for 19" to avoid risk of the speedo displaying too low when the car has 18s -- and if that's true then people who have 18" wheels would have their speedos showing faster by an even greater margin than those with 19". Of course even if the factory does calibrate differently for the different wheel sizes, if you switch sizes aftermarket all bets are off. Relative to the stock calibration setup, larger wheels will make you go faster than indicated, smaller wheels (like people who switch to 18s on the track) will make you go slower than indicated.
most people are sticking to similar outside diameter tires when switching. my 18 set up is .1 inch different than my 19 inch set.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
Interesting article from C&D - Speedometer Scandal!

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ometer-scandal

rofl, did you see the comment written on this article? lol

"My BMW 335 is off by 5 mph at 80. That is almost 6%. So when the vehicle gets to 50,000 miles, the odometer, and the NADA value, will think the vehicle has 3,000 more miles on it than I actually drove. When speedo error is so far off that it effects your resale value, that seems a bit excessive."
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
rofl, did you see the comment written on this article? lol

"My BMW 335 is off by 5 mph at 80. That is almost 6%. So when the vehicle gets to 50,000 miles, the odometer, and the NADA value, will think the vehicle has 3,000 more miles on it than I actually drove. When speedo error is so far off that it effects your resale value, that seems a bit excessive."
i had this the opposite way with my last truck. had 35s on it and so registered lower miles than i drove by a big amount.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

That's the craziness...BMW knows exactly how fast you're going and all the computer's know it as well. With coding you can have it be actual.

They just choose to change the speedometer for the safety reasons. Mostly all motorcycles are like this too.