BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

07-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
mphatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 SG & FR

The more the salesman pushes the more I slow down If you're not in love with the car then that gives you the leverage to go in with a low price that you'd be happy with and walk if they won't agree. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #24
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphatic View Post
The more the salesman pushes the more I slow down If you're not in love with the car then that gives you the leverage to go in with a low price that you'd be happy with and walk if they won't agree. Good luck
Good advice as I am definitely not the seasoned car buyer.

I sent him an email response saying that I am not 100% committed yet and need some time to think about it, and he responded by saying it also has the carbon fiber roof and he would hate for me to miss out on it.

Do you guys think a test drive is warranted even though I am not sold on the colour combo? I usually try to stay away from dealerships and test drives until I am pretty certain about it.

On a side note, I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given me. I barely consulted the forums on my previous car purchased and there is definitely a number of things that I would have done different had I known about the online community in hindsight.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #25
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

have you check this post before you offered?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366319

Remember your car is now 2 years old going on 3 in about 6 months. Plus I think 32k miles is a bit high for that price. I would price the car at $42.5-$43.5k for straight cash purchase. (I.E. if your trade is really worth $33k and he's only giving you $32k, then the lost $1k needs to sum up to the $42.5k-$43.5k offer) Personally, I wouldn't trade, it creates too many moving pieces to figure your true cost. (imagine other ppl doing trades + financing, many moving pieces!) I would sell it privately.

Also, if you're not hot for gray colored cars, I feel like you may be overpaying, I think gray is a "premium" color that other ppl are willing to pay up for than the standard black, silver, and white. Last thing to note is, every seller has a different cost structure, if he turns you down, it doesn't mean you're offering below market price, it might mean his cost is above market price already (sucks for him), you need to keep offering a similar price adjusted for each car thereafter.

I feel like well above 60% of all ppl who purchased used M3s are overpaying based on above thread. They're "too excited" about the fact they'll be getting into an M3 that they throw an extra $5k (combination of bad financing terms or getting killed on the trade) away just to get it this week.. blah.

I made an offer to that dealer before for a E90 M3, they're always on the high side of the counteroffer, maybe the market is hot up in Minnesota and they feel like they can unload it at $50k? Ridiculous nevertheless, if you're reading this and bought something similar, than sorry, but you overpaid.

Last edited by mdosu; 07-29-2010 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #26
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post

Remember your car is now 2 years old going on 3 in about 6 months. Plus I think 32k miles is a bit high for that price. I would price the car at $42.5-$43.5k for straight cash purchase. (I.E. if your trade is really worth $33k and he's only giving you $32k, then the lost $1k needs to sum up to the $42.5k-$43.5k offer) Personally, I wouldn't trade, it creates too many moving pieces to figure your true cost. (imagine other ppl doing trades + financing, many moving pieces!) I would sell it privately.

Also, if you're not hot for gray colored cars, I feel like you may be overpaying, I think gray is a "premium" color that other ppl are willing to pay up for than the standard black, silver, and white. Last thing to note is, every seller has a different cost structure, if he turns you down, it doesn't mean you're offering below market price, it might mean his cost is above market price already (sucks for him), you need to keep offering a similar price adjusted for each car thereafter.

I feel like well above 60% of all ppl who purchased used M3s are overpaying based on above thread. They're "too excited" about the fact they'll be getting into an M3 that they throw an extra $5k (combination of bad financing terms or getting killed on the trade) away just to get it this week.. blah.

I made an offer to that dealer before for a E90 M3, they're always on the high side of the counteroffer, maybe the market is hot up in Minnesota and they feel like they can unload it at $50k? Ridiculous nevertheless, if you're reading this and bought something similar, than sorry, but you overpaid.
GREAT POST!

I actually have read that thread which is why I don't even think it is worth my time to consider this car seriously. I haven't offered anything for it.

You do make a great point about the cost structure, as I really don't think offering $10k below his listed price will sit well with him, as he must have paid quite a bit more for the car. As you say, he must be banking on low supply within the city.

I am not in a tearing rush to buy a car either, so I think I would rather wait till the right one comes along.

Great insight.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #27
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

im in the same boat. looking for a used e90 tho. Dealer just got an 08, stripped. with 5k miles, but they want ~53k for it. I can order one for close to that. people are asking a lot of money for some of these cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #28
Bendyflex
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
Good advice as I am definitely not the seasoned car buyer.

I sent him an email response saying that I am not 100% committed yet and need some time to think about it, and he responded by saying it also has the carbon fiber roof and he would hate for me to miss out on it.

Do you guys think a test drive is warranted even though I am not sold on the colour combo? I usually try to stay away from dealerships and test drives until I am pretty certain about it.

On a side note, I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given me. I barely consulted the forums on my previous car purchased and there is definitely a number of things that I would have done different had I known about the online community in hindsight.
Dude, don't fall for the "you'll be missing out" tactic. He's just trying to appeal to you by creating a false sense of urgency, which, if you fall for it, will undoubtedly cause you to put less thought into your decision. It doesn't sound like you're jazzed about the car either, so I don't see the need for you to fall for those cheap tactics.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #29
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendyflex View Post
Dude, don't fall for the "you'll be missing out" tactic. He's just trying to appeal to you by creating a false sense of urgency, which, if you fall for it, will undoubtedly cause you to put less thought into your decision. It doesn't sound like you're jazzed about the car either, so I don't see the need for you to fall for those cheap tactics.
I hear ya!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #30
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

for that kind of money I'd go to BMW and get a CPO. You'd be able to live trouble free. Too much money. And even if its got a CF roof, half or MORE of the M3 coupes out there do too, so you'll probably bump into another one with it. I'd hold off for now. Patience. It pays.
      07-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #31
mphatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 SG & FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post

+1,000 Dead on!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #32
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
GREAT POST!

I actually have read that thread which is why I don't even think it is worth my time to consider this car seriously. I haven't offered anything for it.

You do make a great point about the cost structure, as I really don't think offering $10k below his listed price will sit well with him, as he must have paid quite a bit more for the car. As you say, he must be banking on low supply within the city.

Great insight.
offering $10k below his asking isn't "dissing" him. If the car is worth $43k, then you shoudn't give a shit how much you cut the inital price by, you offer market price, b/c you should pay market price. No such thing as hurt feelings in business, lol. Your goal is to pay as close to market price as possible, not to make that guy sleep better at night. (of course dealer needs to make some profit, and I feel like a $500-$1000 profit for this car is very reasonable for sitting on it for 1-2 months)

The E90 I bought was marked around $52k, I offered $45.5 first and ended paying $46k out the door (including all his fees). the dealer knew I offered a near market price for the car, he didn't get mad. He wouldn't even respond back with a counter if you weren't close. It's all business man.

Last edited by mdosu; 07-29-2010 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #33
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyj View Post
im in the same boat. looking for a used e90 tho. Dealer just got an 08, stripped. with 5k miles, but they want ~53k for it. I can order one for close to that. people are asking a lot of money for some of these cars.

If it's a near fully stripped version, you should offer around $41.5k cash (location dependent).
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #34
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

By the way: do not restrict your search to your area only... driving back home the M would be a great vacations / reason for a great road-trip!!